How hard is it to get a 90+ mark in English? (1 Viewer)

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
Hey, I'm getting worried for next year because the only thing stopping from getting a 99.5+ atar is getting a good mark for english.

I'm really hoping for a mark of 90+ but how common is it? It's my lowest rank being 30/160+ students. What rank should I be getting to sustain a 90+?

Seriously, I freakin memorise and look at other essays but I'm only getting 17's/20 and the feedback is so crap that I don't even know what I'm doing wrong. I'm thinking I'll just bug the english department before my exams and tell them to mark my prelim essays and tell me where the fuck to improve because it's fricken annoying.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Hey, I'm getting worried for next year because the only thing stopping from getting a 99.5+ atar is getting a good mark for english.

I'm really hoping for a mark of 90+ but how common is it? It's my lowest rank being 30/160+ students. What rank should I be getting to sustain a 90+?

Seriously, I freakin memorise and look at other essays but I'm only getting 17's/20 and the feedback is so crap that I don't even know what I'm doing wrong. I'm thinking I'll just bug the english department before my exams and tell them to mark my prelim essays and tell me where the fuck to improve because it's fricken annoying.
You are fine,

You do English Advance and go to the top ~3 school

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
You are fine,

You do English Advance and go to the top ~3 school
No, I'm not fine. Firstly, I never said I go to a top 3 school. Secondly, that doesn't mean we're particularly good in English. Look at the top achiever's in English. It's one of the few major subjects where selective schools DON'T dominate in. So no, it really doesn't matter what school I'm in for English.

Last edited:

michaeljennings

HSC
Look at the top achiever's in English. It's one of the few major subjects where selective schools dominate in. So no, it really doesn't matter what school I'm in for English.
I go to Baulko, a selective school full of asians and last year we had 138 people out of 200 get 90+, so I think a person ranked as high as you are at a top 3 school would get a band 6

powlmao

Banned
HSC
No, I'm not fine. Firstly, I never said I go to a top 3 school. Secondly, that doesn't mean we're particularly good in English. Look at the top achiever's in English. It's one of the few major subjects where selective schools dominate in. So no, it really doesn't matter what school I'm in for English.
I was trying to suggest that you are smart and that you should get overly worried about it.

yours

HSC
You look at how many people get band 6s each year, and thus if your ranking is within that number, chances are you will also get a band6. Teachers mark consistently across years, so ranking is a good indicator relative to the HSC result. I know at my school the number for english has been fairly consistent for the past 5 years, though one year there were 3x as many band 6s. There's a website called topscores or something that lists the names of people in your school who get a band 6 and in which subject it is.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
You look at how many people get band 6s each year, and thus if your ranking is within that number, chances are you will also get a band6. Teachers mark consistently across years, so ranking is a good indicator relative to the HSC result. I know at my school the number for english has been fairly consistent for the past 5 years, though one year there were 3x as many band 6s. There's a website called topscores or something that lists the names of people in your school who get a band 6 and in which subject it is.
Yeah, actually I'll check. Ah man, the stats aren't THAT great, although it does make me feel more confident :D. But I mean, how hard is it to get one??

Lol, and I have no idea what you said michaeljennings because it says the message is hidden.

Last edited:

yours

HSC
Yeah, actually I'll check. Ah man, the stats aren't THAT great, although it does make me feel more confident :D. But I mean, how hard is it to get one??

Lol, and I have no idea what you said michaeljennings because it says the message is hidden.
michaeljennings: I go to Baulko, a selective school full of asians and last year we had 138 people out of 200 get 90+, so I think a person ranked as high as you are at a top 3 school would get a band 6
^^^ do you mean this?

All there is to english is giving the teacher practise essays and being able to write a lot in the exams (sorry to be so blunt, but when I compared my responses to my friends the main difference was ALWAYS length. You can't expect loads of marks if you don't write loads.) Also, I can predict someone coming to bite my head off with the platitude 'Quality over quantity every time', but seriously, teachers award what they call 'extensive textual knowledge' which in layman's terms, means LOTS OF QUOTES AND EVIDENCE (this is mostly the case for modules)

Last edited:

sydneyitee

HSC
I go to Baulko, a selective school full of asians and last year we had 138 people out of 200 get 90+, so I think a person ranked as high as you are at a top 3 school would get a band 6
LIAR! so you don't go to ruse?

EDIT: wait, my bad.... i read too quickly and didn't realise you were quoting... sorry :p

sydneyitee

HSC
can anyone tell me this website that gives percentages on band sixes at schools??

because english for me is my one killer subject that's pulling down my atar....

Last edited:

Zeroes

HSC
I was looking at my schools past results and last year there was about 50% band 6 in English but every year before was about 20%.
Whaaaat? I thought I'd be safe when I saw the 50% lol.

But yeah OP, look at your school's past results and if it's consistent then it should be a good indicator of how you'll go and if you'll need to work harder etc.

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
As long as you are able to score 17/20 + in your modules and 13/15 + in your AOS paper, you should be fine!
I have a question for those going to Baulkham hills - How do you guys study for English --> you guys do quite well as a cohort.. do you'll memorise your essays?

michaeljennings

HSC
As long as you are able to score 17/20 + in your modules and 13/15 + in your AOS paper, you should be fine!
I have a question for those going to Baulkham hills - How do you guys study for English --> you guys do quite well as a cohort.. do you'll memorise your essays?
Everyone memorises. 5 people got 0 for cheating during our trial exams, take what you will from that

can anyone tell me this website that gives percentages on band sixes at schools??
I think you have to find that out from your school. Our school has like reports that they have in the admin building where it says what percentage of each grade got a band 6.

Last edited:

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
Everyone memorises. 5 people got 0 for cheating during our trial exams, take what you will from that
Just curious because one of the students I tutor was going on about the number of band 6's your school gets + top of the sate for English Adv or something along those lines! So was wondering what the tactic was!

Zeroes

HSC

because english for me is my one killer subject that's pulling down my atar....
i'm coming in the low 90s out of 160 but i go to nsg? (and i know we're not good at english but can i hope for a high band 5 at least?) - by continuing to work really hard of course
I'm not sure if there's any site that publishes it, I just found out my own school's percentages because they put it on their website.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)