how do u rate comerce @ usyd? (1 Viewer)

Charizard

HSC
lordesf said:
hahahahahahahahaha thts funy stuff

Helz yeh when both uni r like almostthe same then looking at which has the htter chick definetly wil make the difernce, dude just calm the fuk down alrite, id much prefer to hang around hotter chicks than "hotter guys" if ths ur taste[stay away from me].

i can already tell from your spelling you wont be getting laid anyway. So hotter girls should be irrelevant.

I'm not at all gay, and i'm sure homophobia was cool in high school, but i think you are in for a bit of a shock at uni my friend.

Owyn

HSC
USYD is definitely very theory based, and doesn't really attempt to be otherwise. Personally I prefer this, given concepts will last a lot longer then practical tips can. Anyway, it is almost impossible to teach all the different tasks involved in the myriad of employment opportunities, far better that they teach useful facts and ways of looking at any job. Imagine being taught the Macquaire model in Corporate Finance. All that said, USYD keeps up with established trends. Commercial law and accounting still require you to reference up to date laws and standards, new practices are often mentioned in passing.

My biggest problems with USYD's commerce is that it is far too easy, requires too many junk subjects like ECOF, GOVT, and INFS, has lousy lecturers/tutors, and is archaic in teaching. Subjects often set the bar fairly low, meaning you can easily pass subjects you have no real understanding of. I learned Financial Accounting A and B in the night before exams. I got a distinction in INFS and I learned next to nothing. Lectures are often extremely smart people that have little ability or desire to be teaching, and tutors frequently struggle to speak English and/or actually complete classes.

The worst thing of all is how everything is run. Over a dozen times I had to make the trek to uni and back after an all nighter just to physically submit assignments because either electronic copies weren't collected or they required an accompanying physical copy. One terribly boring lecturer put up lecture notes on Blackboard and decided to remove them two weeks before the final exam as punishment to people that didn't attend his lectures. You can't get your timetable till right before uni starts, unlike UNSW that gets it well in advance. I can't say what UNSW is like, but the teaching and administrative components of USYD are predominantly weak and uninventive. Presumably with your UAI you now how to teach yourself though.

Ultimately, UNSW or USYD, the marks and awards you get at those unis is going to be of far more importance then which one you get it at. Do internships and make sure you develop excellent social skills, it will make far more of a difference.

januaryclown

HSC
N/A
I agree with Owyn. If you check profiles of the lecturers hired, lesses ranked universities actually hire better qualified lecturers. There are one or two bad apples at usyd, like Catherine Sutton-Brady, who has neither the experience or academic strength to teach business. She's also psychologically challenged, enjoys making sexually promiscuous remarks to young male students and verbally abusing young female students. She even spoke ill of the dean and ex-students who criticized her teaching style. You will find some of the lecturers at usyd lack the correct attitude and academic/professional strength in the subject taught. But good news is usyd is upgrading, hiring better lecturers that is.

dongypro

HSC
GO TO UNSW ! NOT USYD FOR COMMERCE

You will regret not going to unsw. as a 4th year at usyd comm due to an extended major, the rules here are ridiculous.

UNSW BENEFITS
PASS CONCEDED (GET 46 AND STILL PASS!!!)and EASIER EXAMS
FLEXIBLE TIMETABLES
EASIER TO GET CREDITS AND DISTINCTIONS!

USYD DOWNSIDES
NO PASS CONCEDED (IF YOU GET 49 GG TO YOU)
CRAPPY TIMETABLE SYSTEM (COMES OUT ONLY 2 WEEKS BEFORE UNI STARTS)
HARSH MARKING
HARDER TO GRADUATE
HARSHER WITH PLAGARISM
MORE EFFORT FOR MARKS WHICH MEANS MORE WORK
Now imagine ur stuck in a group with FOBS who will drag ur group work down... sometimes you get put into groups... THEY WILL PULL UR WAM DOWN AND UR FUTURE EMPLOYMENT FOR GRAD POSITIONS!!! WITH HARSHER MARKING AND NO LENIENCY FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS, YOU! The NON FOB will be disadvantaged.

TAKE THE EASY WAY WITH MORE OPPORTUNITIES AT UNSW ! GRADUATE in 3YRS REGARDLESS WHAT MAJOR.

AT USYD you can only do accouunting/ FINANcE (DOUBLE MAJOR) in 3 years, others require extended majors meaning you have to stay back 3 yrs and 2 subjects (1 semester)
NOW THATS BULLS(@*$

AT UNSW they have a WIDE variety of electives and easy subjects that help you PULL UR WAM UP HIGH! THESE ARE CALLED GEN-EDS

AT USYD, you are offered NO electives, and your stuck with boring ass subjects that you'll fall asleep in and find stressful to study

The only upside to USYD COMM is easy transport from Redfern station. No need to drive to uni.

Now weigh out the pros and cons and let me know what you think :)

And NO i have not failed any subjects at usyd. Very close for finance though cuz the FINAL exam is full of S(*!

ascentyx

HSC
Now imagine ur stuck in a group with FOBS who will drag ur group work down... sometimes you get put into groups... THEY WILL PULL UR WAM DOWN AND UR FUTURE EMPLOYMENT FOR GRAD POSITIONS!!! WITH HARSHER MARKING AND NO LENIENCY FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS, YOU! The NON FOB will be disadvantaged.
I'm pretty sure unsw>usyd in terms of the number of fobs lol.

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
Usyd took a very hard (but hidden on the surface) hit during the GFC. They had to replace alot of the proper lecturers/acedemics with a legion of 'old boys' (who had been waiting dormant in the St John catacombs). So now most economic classes comprise of 'firm handshake' lessons and 'gaze holding with Abbot' contests.

dongypro

HSC
thats true but at least u get marked easier and ur exams are easier. trust me my gf goes to unsw and the similar subjects I've taken compared to hers are a LOT easier in material.

I can tell u that if u want to graduate finance, go to unsw... usyd finance requires so much effort even to pass! If u think im joking, ask the people who have taken finance at usyd.

UNSW finance on the other hand has many electives and easier alternatives..

USYD don't offer easy subjects apart from a few compulsory subjects that you have to take to complete your commerce degree..

bullshit subjects include

CISS2001 (wtf is this? especially a 3500 word country report essay on a country? useless)
WORK2218 (what a joke? behaviour of ur peers and theories behind it? lol)
ECOF3001 (again the teacher that teaches this is total bs and the material is zomgwtf..)

These 3 were the most bullshit for me and a total waste of time and resource. They teach u things that are so obvious in life and utter garbage.

student1001

HSC
i cant say much about the commerce program at usyd, but i can tell you that the economics program at usyd is excellent - my first year lecturers were excellent at teaching, replied to questions within a reasonable time frame (though they could have been a bit quicker) and knew how to make a lecture interesting!

my friends who do study commerce tell me that the core subjects like ECOF are absolutely ridiculous, but i think they've changed it this year to BUSS which i've heard is going to be better than ECOF.

in regards to unsw vs usyd, unsw does have a better "recognition" per say, but it's really what you're after - unsw is a bit more practical, but usyd is more theoretical

however i will say that usyd's student life is MUCH better than unsw's and the societies themselves can give you "skills" that employers look for ie being on committee for a society at uni...

hope this helps!

ps in regards to usyd's content being harder than unsw's: it kind of shows which uni is more worthy of having the prestige of being academically challenging and which is why usyd's reputation is rightly much higher in general than other unis. but if you're looking to go to uni simply to get a degree so that you can become filthy rich and avoid taxes, then go to unsw

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)