how do u rate comerce @ usyd? (1 Viewer)

lordesf

HSC
Hey

Im curious how the commerce faculty at usyd really is.

I heard usyd overall is old school tht does lots of theories which makes it bad?

Im trying to decide whether to go to commerce @ unsw or usyd

i saw a ranking for business seeing unsw as 2nd and usyd as 4th....

wat does u al think?

But yes usyd has the name to it,

Would u recommend me to usyd?

big8oyjames

Banned
HSC
USYD isnt really good for any course. the whole foundation of the uni relies on prestige. its industry reputation is ugly for just about all courses except medicine. id say go to unsw.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
i dont think it makes much difference, all it matters is that u do well in the course

if your concern is about reputation, go to usyd

jenecis

HSC
Deltan said:
i dont think it makes much difference, all it matters is that u do well in the course

if your concern is about reputation, go to usyd
Not really. If you are concerned about reputation in regards to business/commerce, then you must go to UNSW. From what I gather (friends etc), no one in their right mind would go to usyd for commerce over unsw.

If you look at it, the uai cutoff for unsw is higher than usyd in 2008 so there must be something good about it if more people are trying to get into there.

Plus, officially speaking, unsw is ranked 1st in Australian Business Schools. The Hobson guide also compares the unis and in all the comparisons for business, unsw thrashes usyd.

Then again, it's entirely your option. Both unis have pros and cons.

lordesf

HSC
yeh true thts wat im tyring to get, the pros and cons of each uni

sb\bout the ui cut off isnt it so high becuase of the hsc plus system which Usyd doesnt offer?

jenecis

HSC
lordesf said:
yeh true thts wat im tyring to get, the pros and cons of each uni

sb\bout the ui cut off isnt it so high becuase of the hsc plus system which Usyd doesnt offer?
No, I don't think so. The HSC Plus system is offered across the board, except for courses like law, so you would then expect that all the uais to unsw should be signficantly higher than usyd.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
jenecis said:
If you look at it, the uai cutoff for unsw is higher than usyd in 2008 so there must be something good about it if more people are trying to get into there.
UAI cut off is artificially inflated when ppl as low as 90 got in, so its UAI cut-off isnt a true reflection of its popularity.

Although, i wud still personally go to UNSW lol

spence

HSC
jenecis said:
Higher UAI does not mean the course is better

jenecis said:
Plus, officially speaking, unsw is ranked 1st in Australian Business Schools. The Hobson guide also compares the unis and in all the comparisons for business, unsw thrashes usyd.
Rankings like this don't really have anything to do with undergrad courses though, they're really just based on research

jenecis

HSC
spence said:
Higher UAI does not mean the course is better

Rankings like this don't really have anything to do with undergrad courses though, they're really just based on research
Sorry, I meant the Hobsons Guide for undergraduate courses 2009. There are also Hobsons Guides for postgraduate courses. Check it out yourself if you don't believe me. *shrugs*

fush

HSC
haha really doesnt matter, similar course content, its 3 years of ur life.... unsw/usyd, its all the same. whatever is more convenient to u, just go to the open days and check it out.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I'm doing a Commerce/Science degree and completed first year Commerce units. I'm not sure how it operates at other unis but I reckon the Commerce is not too bad overall. I took Accounting 1A and 1B which are okay and Marketing Principles (for the fun of it) which was really easy and a huge bludge.

A core unit which probably makes the Commerce degree quite bad for some people is INFS (business information systems). It has very terrible lecturers and should not be compulsory because a lot of the material is so abstract to understand, so it should be left for those who are actually interested in it rather than making it compulsory.

In terms of economics, micro is okay but macro is EXCELLENT!!! The lecturers/tutors definitely know how to explain things very clearly and made the unit quite interesting for many. A friend who does Engineering/Commerce at UNSW had a look at my lecture notes for macro and he thought they were much better than his lecture notes for macro.

As for statistics/econometrics, which is also a core unit for Commerce, I can't say much about it because I didn't have to take it, as I did statistics in science! lol

Last edited:

lordesf

HSC
hmm usyd now sounds more decent unlike the biased views i got form unsw?

so there r less asian ppls ingeneral doing ocmerce at usyd than unsw?

iv been looking at the gooduniguide website, and comparing usyd an dunsw BUT usyd seemed not on the list for many of the comapeions like startin salaries, jobs etc

But is usyd the one with more old school theories and less practical? I kept hearing this form earlier years not sure if its just pure bias

lionking1191

HSC
lordesf said:
hmm usyd now sounds more decent unlike the biased views i got form unsw?

so there r less asian ppls ingeneral doing ocmerce at usyd than unsw?

iv been looking at the gooduniguide website, and comparing usyd an dunsw BUT usyd seemed not on the list for many of the comapeions like startin salaries, jobs etc

But is usyd the one with more old school theories and less practical? I kept hearing this form earlier years not sure if its just pure bias
dont u hav to log-in or register or whatever to see it ?

i remember a few 1-star shockers.

lordesf

HSC
yep i did reigter and logged in and diint se usyd for 1 star it just ismply wasnt there..

Can anyone else provide more info oon usyd comerce? PLz no more 08'ers lol

big8oyjames

Banned
HSC
i went to the usyd bar. has some fucking hot chicks. so yeah, id count that as a reason to go to usyd. im not into asians.

lordesf

HSC
big8oyjames said:
i went to the usyd bar. has some fucking hot chicks. so yeah, id count that as a reason to go to usyd. im not into asians.
Nice, the sort of answers im looking for! But i heard the hot ones r from B arts but are there hot ones at commerce? im mean in compariosn to unsw commerce... does usyd have hotter chicks?

Also does anyone happen to have pics or perhaps link to pics of the faculty of comerce & economics at usyd Im currenty overseas and i wil miss out the info day ( iv never been to usyd before) . Im hoping usyd has a modernish building ... lol

Last edited:

lordesf

HSC
yeh true! but the hting is both uni has things tht seem to fit my lifetstyle...

unsw has flexibile courses and timetables whilst usyd as the good looking chicks ( i presume?) so its prety even in life style lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)