How do i prepare for this english assessment? (1 Viewer)

turbospero

HSC
Part 1: listening
You will listen to a recorded extract from Othello.

You will then be required to answer a series of questions related to the extract and its relation to the play as a whole.

The extract will be played twice.

You may makes notes as you listen and answer the questions at any point during the assessment.

YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO TAKE OTHELLO OR CLASSNOTES INTO THE ASSESSMENT.

Part 2: extended response
In this section, you will be required to compose an extended response based on your reading of the set text, Othello.

--------

Im basically clueless when it comes to this. In fact, clueless when it comes to english in general. I dont think the first part will be too bad, but i have no idea where to start for the second part.

Do i need to go throught the whole book and find quotes and remember them and why they're significant? Also, do i need to know language techniques? Furthermore, i have no idea what the question will ask so i cant think of a thesis.

I need help =(

bawd

HSC
turbospero said:
Part 1: listening
You will listen to a recorded extract from Othello.

You will then be required to answer a series of questions related to the extract and its relation to the play as a whole.

The extract will be played twice.

You may makes notes as you listen and answer the questions at any point during the assessment.

Part 2: extended response
In this section, you will be required to compose an extended response based on your reading of the set text, Othello.

--------

Im basically clueless when it comes to this. In fact, clueless when it comes to english in general. I dont think the first part will be too bad, but i have no idea where to start for the second part.

Do i need to go throught the whole book and find quotes and remember them and why they're significant? Also, do i need to know language techniques? Furthermore, i have no idea what the question will ask so i cant think of a thesis.

I need help =(
Do you have any idea what the question for the extended response might be?

To prepare for this, I suggest you read Othello thoroughly first. Also read through notes for ideas regarding important motifs, themes and characters, as although you cannot bring notes into class, it would be silly not to prepare beforehand. Links to notes are available from the Preliminary FAQ/Resources/Past Papers Directory thread, but make sure you do not plaigarise.

bored of sc

HSC
A possible way to make it easier for yourself is to remember some of the quotes from the listening part of the exam and use them in your essay (as the questions of the listening exam may give you some hints about the analysis of certain techniques/ideas.

Not too sure. Hopefully it all links together. But if not --> do some extra preparation --> link techniques to themes to characters to plot.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
When it comes to listening tasks, I don't think you can study for anything other than the extended response (well that's what i do). Just know you're topic, try and memorise your quotes and memorise important themes and issues. Also during the exam, use effective note taking methods (I don't know any but you might).

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Our listening is going to be a creative.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I haven't had any listening tasks at all for English this year and doesn't look like we will.

CaityJane08

HSC
We had a listening task a little while ago and the best advice i can give you is to take as many notes as you can while your listening to the extract.

Listen to the first extract completely without answering anything on your test, that way you won't miss any crucial parts of the extract, and you can take notes as well. Then the second time it is played, answer as many short response questions as you can.

As for the long response answers, just try to work from your notes as best you can and if possible, perhaps study the extract if you know what it is (but i doubt you do), and if this is the case then just review (was it an othello extract?), just review othello and memorise the important quotes and such.
Good luck:)

P.S i hope this made sense in some strange way:)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
CaityJane08 said:
We had a listening task a little while ago and the best advice i can give you is to take as many notes as you can while your listening to the extract.

Listen to the first extract completely without answering anything on your test, that way you won't miss any crucial parts of the extract, and you can take notes as well. Then the second time it is played, answer as many short response questions as you can.

As for the long response answers, just try to work from your notes as best you can and if possible, perhaps study the extract if you know what it is (but i doubt you do), and if this is the case then just review (was it an othello extract?), just review othello and memorise the important quotes and such.
Good luck:)

P.S i hope this made sense in some strange way:)
So listen whilst making notes when it is played once. Then when it is played again, answer the questions quickly?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)