how did ur trial performances go (1 Viewer)

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
i got my comments and stuff back for my trial performance today... i was a little bit disapointed cos i thought i did better than what i got. Well, for the half yearly performance assesment i played like absolute shit it was sooooo bad that i was full crying on my way home... but when we got the results back i got all A's, and i was the only person in my extention class to get an A. For the trials, i played 100 000 000 000 times better - my trumpet teacher was so pleased with the way i played. But then i got my marks back today and i got B's and a couple of A/B's. And in the comments for all my pieces, they kept saying that the piece needs a sense of direction and structure. But that doesnt really help me cos they are commenting on the actual piece itself - its not my fault the composer didnt give a proper structure to his work! Its a bloody Australian piece written in the last 25 years what do ya expect! How do i convince the markers about the direction and structure of the pieces im playing??

vicksta

HSC
trumpet geek said:
i got my comments and stuff back for my trial performance today... i was a little bit disapointed cos i thought i did better than what i got. Well, for the half yearly performance assesment i played like absolute shit it was sooooo bad that i was full crying on my way home... but when we got the results back i got all A's, and i was the only person in my extention class to get an A. For the trials, i played 100 000 000 000 times better - my trumpet teacher was so pleased with the way i played. But then i got my marks back today and i got B's and a couple of A/B's. And in the comments for all my pieces, they kept saying that the piece needs a sense of direction and structure. But that doesnt really help me cos they are commenting on the actual piece itself - its not my fault the composer didnt give a proper structure to his work! Its a bloody Australian piece written in the last 25 years what do ya expect! How do i convince the markers about the direction and structure of the pieces im playing??

I so agree! my last 25 years piece is so gay and boring, with no melodic development or anything! its so hard to make it sound good...i guess u just gotta put up with it, ce'st la vie!

My trial performance was awesome, i was so happy, i havent got the marks back yet, but both markers came up to me afterwards and said well done. I was stoked, because usually my mouth goes all dry and gross and i play terribly, but i just wasnt nervous for some reason!!! wierd, hey!
I just hope HSC performances are the same!

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
trumpet geek said:
do you think you can alter your piece to give it a sense of direction or whatever your markers wanted you to do?
otherwise you can always let out some rage by finding out where they live and egging their house..
but As and Bs are really good! you shouldn't be disappointed with that!

Lexi

HSC
N/A
Don't worry about it. If the markers were your teachers (which most are) they usually mark really hard and rip your pieces to pieces at this point in time. They want you to do as well as you can in the HSC and if they give you 19/20 - some people will assume they don't need to do anything else.

I should know - My half yearlies I got 13/20 and I had it marked again by an actual HSC marker, played exactly the same (if not worse >.<) and he said I deserved 18/19. *Shrugs* I guess it depends on the day- but I still think they analyse hard this time around.

(I don't think the last bit made sense, but the day before my trials - you can excuse my lack of grammer.)

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
hey trumpet geek did u perhaps play ignition by Hindson?? and some old man with a white moustache come to assess your trials??

Last edited:

MouNtY

i haven't had my trials yet......i'm having them next week on tuesday.........my half-yearly results were really good........got full marks......but that's probably bcoz the teacher likes me...lol..........i hope i go alright for the trials too......i'll be friggin depressed if i get shyt marks

skankit

i had mine last night!! i was so nervous.. i dont think ive ever split that many notes in my life! but it was pretty good, i didnt think it was the best id played but my trumpet teacher thought it was awesome and so did my music teacher (the marker) so thats all that mattered

the teacher said i only really screwed up one piece and that was coz it just kept getting faster and me and my teacher both tried to slow it down buit it just kept going and going... by the end i was so tired! all good though

i wasnt particularly happy,but then most ppl arent, so meh, well see when we get the marks back!

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
moon_styla said:
hey trumpet geek did u perhaps play ignition by Hindson?? and some old man with a white moustache come to assess your trials??
Hehe nah, i didnt play ignition positive by hindson - although that woulda been better to play cos it has some cool bits in it - and no, it wasnt some old man with a white moustache either! wait... actually, i cant really remember who the marker was.... i think he had a brown beard. yeah.

So what pieces did everyone play??

olay

HSC
congrats on how you went, vicksta.

trumpet, why don't u ask the markers how you could improve it?? and then maybe u can question their marking if it has nothing to do with their comment?

my trials are over but our music performances are this wk.. still need to pick a day. i played them today at a concert and they went surprisingly well [well, 2 outta 3 did, and the last one i hid my mistakes...ahh the beauty of aust music :p] :D so i hope i play the same again!!!

MouNtY

i'm so nervous, and my performance isn't even today........it's tomorrow arvo......and i'm just practicing and stuff now and i'm almost pissin my pants thinkin abt it.....lol......

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
whoo hooo i got full marks for trials music 2 performance and extension :p

so relieved!

vicksta

HSC
hey guys...
i got my marks bak today.. full marks!!!! im so happy!!! yay, go us, moon styla!!
I hope it all goes this well in the real hsc!!

MouNtY

i'm so friggin depressed......i did mine today.......sang.......signed, sealed, delivered by stevie wonder.......i swear i have never sung this bad in my life.....it's not like i was singin off or nuthin.......but i hadn't rehearsed coz apparently there wasn't enuff time even though this other guy practiced like 2 hours straght.........and then i asked my teacher if the rest of us could rehearse and he goes "there isn't enough time"........so pretty much everyone went up without having rehearsed with the full band before it started.......it was really shyt bcoz my song is one of those hardout big notes kinda songs....and seeing as my voice hadn't fully warmed up, i had to hold back, because if i'd gone for it without havin fully warmed up my voice would've broken and i would've been the laffing stock of the whole friggin skool......anyhow i got so friggin so depressed ppl were tryin to so "that was gerat" and wateva but, i felt like shyt aye, anyhow thats my bitch for the evenin........i havent't got my marks back yet, but the marker came to me and congratulated me, so maybe my mark won't be so bad.....at least i really hope it won't be

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
well done moonstyla and vicksta dats heaaaaappps cool!!! argh im so sick of being shit at playing trumpet!! argh!! o well i will somehow magically improve over the next 3 weeks.

skankit

i got my results back the other day... i was really disappointed

before we got the results my teacher told me (and my trumpet teacher) taht id played really well and i got really good feeback from eveyrone who was watching, but i got really shit marks

im so angry at my music teacher for building up my hopes like that... she so has something against non piano players. piano players always get full marks, or close to it, but there are 3 of us in my class who dont play piano, and none of us have EVER gotten full marks for anything. UNFAIR!

oh well.. hsc, here we come :(

vicksta

HSC
I play french horn... it pisses me off sometimes, so very i dunno... classical! sometimes id love to play trumpet so i can play jazz and ska and stuff like that
moon styla, what do u play?

Dun worry skankit..often trials are marked heaps harder than the real thing....heheh dont u hate those freaky piano players!!

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
meh, i play piano.. a very very good instrument hehe

oh and does anyone know if its true, that if your're very good at a subject.. and i mean like international level.. that u dont have to do your hsc for that area?? (they give you 100 automatically?) i remember hearing that from somewhere..

probably not true eh?

skankit

no offense moon styla, i'm sure your fantastic!.. but im just really sick of piano players... like i dunno i dont think its fair to mark wind players in the same league as pianos? like its so much harder to get good on a wind instrument because as well as all fingerings etc you have to think about articulation, intonation, and of course chops.

i dont know, i dont wanna take credit away from piano players, but does anyone else feel the same? when you get too nervous playing a wind instrument, your gone, because, well i dont know about you guys, but my diaphragm shakes and so its hard to get notes out, not to mention chops get more tired more quickly

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
skankit said:
no offense moon styla, i'm sure your fantastic!.. but im just really sick of piano players... like i dunno i dont think its fair to mark wind players in the same league as pianos? like its so much harder to get good on a wind instrument because as well as all fingerings etc you have to think about articulation, intonation, and of course chops.

i dont know, i dont wanna take credit away from piano players, but does anyone else feel the same? when you get too nervous playing a wind instrument, your gone, because, well i dont know about you guys, but my diaphragm shakes and so its hard to get notes out, not to mention chops get more tired more quickly
hey, tis true that with us brass players we need to think about intonation etc. Also, with piano, you can start learning the instrument while your heaps young. But with brass instruments, we have to wait until we are a little older for our lip muscles to develop, and also we need our front teeth!! So they get like an extra few years of playing experience. But think about it, there are trazillions of piano players out there and the instrument is way too common and competitive.

Dont worry about your shitty marks (im sure they werent anyway!) it doesnt mean ur a bad player - the hsc is all about impression marking. You play a hard piece doesnt necessarily mean ull get good marks. Its all about how you express music through your body movement, communication with piano and other ensemble members, etc. You cant just stand there and play - you need to put on like a show - not only they listen to you, but they also watch you. You just have to look confident and look like you know what your doing.

Dont worry about piano players just worry about yourself - you play tha best instrument in da world - da TRUMPET!! We have to worry about intonation, chops, articulation ... so what?? It would be harder to express yourself musically trhough a piano - cos the piano will always have a fixed sound - but with trumpets, you can have your very own signature sound that no one else has!!! Trumpets are funner to play - you can just pull them out whenever u feel like and start playing them, but with pianos, you cant carry them around! hehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)