Homosexuality in Australia (2 Viewers)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
ASNSWR127 said:
cos you are too stupid to decide for yourself...
hey im not the filthy atheist here.

supercalamari said:
You're ok with the discrimination your church promotes?

Seriously, reconsider your views. Here's a good website:

http://www.mccchurch.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Sexuality_Spirituality&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=629
errrrr im not a homophobe. i was just stating that it is a sin. furthermore that site has close to no interest to me unless its of a catholic denomination.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
hey im not the filthy atheist here.
oh, please. I am a catholic. I go to church regularly too. Is our church not one of the worst institutions in society? I think it is. To call someone a filthy catholic is to place yourself above others and forget your own mistakes- we all do it, but we shouldn't.

melanieeeee. said:
errrrr im not a homophobe. i was just stating that it is a sin. furthermore that site has close to no interest to me unless its of a catholic denomination.
I didn't actually call you a homophobe, but i do think it would be good for you to read that site. it is all based on the bible, which the catholic church believes.

Let me copy and paste here the Rev. Elder Eastman's response to the verse most commonly used to discriminate against gay people,

Leviticus 18:22 & 20:13

Christians today do not follow the rules and rituals described in Leviticus. But some ignore its definitions of their own "uncleanness" while quoting Leviticus to condemn "homosexuals." Such abuse of Scripture distorts the Old Testament meaning and denies a New Testament message.
"You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination." These words occur solely in the Holiness Code of Leviticus, a ritual manual for Israel's priests. Their meaning can only be fully appreciated in the historical and cultural context of the ancient Hebrew people. Israel, in a unique place as the chosen people of one God, was to avoid the practices of other peoples and gods.

Hebrew religion, characterized by the revelation of one God, stood in continuous tension with the religion of the surrounding Canaanites who worshipped the multiple gods of fertility cults. Canaanite idol worship, which featured female and male cult prostitution as noted in Deuteronomy 23:17, repeatedly compromised Israel's loyalty to God. The Hebrew word for a male cult prostitute, qadesh, is mistranslated "sodomite" in some versions of the Bible.

What is an "Abomination"?

An abomination is that which God found detestable because it was unclean, disloyal, or unjust. Several Hebrew words were so translated, and the one found in Leviticus,
toevah, is usually associated with idolatry, as in Ezekiel, where it occurs numerous times. Given the strong association of toevah with idolatry and the canaanite religious practice of cult prostitution, the use of toevah regarding male same-sex acts in Leviticus calls into question any conclusion that such condemnation also applies to loving, responsible homosexual relationships.

X

xeuyrawp

supercalamari said:
These words occur solely in the Holiness Code of Leviticus, a ritual manual for Israel's priests.
Wrong. The Pauline Epistles also heavily condemn homosexuality.

By the way, I think that if you actually just read the Bible for yourself (rather than relying on what other people say, which is what most Christians do), that you'll understand it more.

dolbinau

HSC
By the way, I think that if you actually just read the Bible for yourself (rather than relying on what other people say, which is what most Christians do), that you'll understand it more.
LOL. I doubt it.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Does the Pope count as "other people"?

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Iron said:
Does the Pope count as "other people"?
XVI is super cool. :)

we dont soley rely on the bible.

Last edited:

dolbinau

HSC
Any Catholic perspective on homosexuality (from the catechism) is based off solely the bible.

Stebengki

HSC
I don't think that the Bible teaches us to hate others
To demoralise any person just because they believe in something else is completely wrong. it's also completely ignorant of the world around you. In the wake of post-modernism, post-feminism, and the acceptance of societal inclusion, i don't see why people have to be so against something. I am christian myself, but i don't walk around dissing homosexual people. It's one thing to be against it, and another to be rude about it.

5233andy

HSC
Based on Christian teaching, parents are encouraged to raise their children with the values that the Church upholds. When it comes to homosexuality and the issue of whether it's nature or nurture; if it's nurture, whose fault is it, really?

I don't support the homosexuality, nor do I condemn it. However, by considering these people as burdens on society, are our actions Christian-like? Can't we all simply put aside our differences and treat all with the dignity of a human being? Because that's what we all are, we're human beings. Should we drive the wedge between social groups deeper, we're essentially destroying the whole of humanity.

Is it nature or nurture? Oh, I don't know... the more we attempt to answer this question and beget homosexuality, we're digging holes for ourselves. In many respects, it's a cosmic question, perhaps worthy of being ejected into the void.

ANyways, homosexuality is somewhat 'strange', something that I can't comprehend. But it often appears as though there's a growing trend of this 'lifestyle', if you will, or in lack of a better term. It just defies human conscience... I guess... :S

Nevertheless, why am I even caring about this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)