Homosexuality in Australia (12 Viewers)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

meeatu

HSC
I wasn't aware of that, but even so, that law doesn't descriminate against homosexuals at all.

It bans anyone, including heterosexuals from engaging in anal sex until 18. Homosexuals (both gay men and lesbian couples) would still be able to engage in sexual activity (legally) before the age of 18.

Though that said, it seems like a pretty stupid law to make, I would have thought that the ages for consent for every sexual act would have been standardised and I wouldn't object if someone wanted to have it changed.
Pfft... wording...
Essentially, the effect is the same.

But yes, stupid law...

"I know! Let's let them have all the responsibilities of conception at 16... but not anal sex! :3 That's just a bit too icky after all..."

Name_Taken

HSC
Yes but your belief that gay marriage is sinful is not one that allows you to own marriage. Christian beliefs state that homosexuality is immoral, but non-believers get married. Own your own institution, not everyone elses.
I would say if anything Christians have more of a claim to marriage than homosexuals, if it came down to that...

Name_Taken

HSC
Pfft... wording...
Essentially, the effect is the same.

But yes, stupid law...

"I know! Let's let them have all the responsibilities of conception at 16... but not anal sex! :3 That's just a bit too icky after all..."
While yes it probably does inconvenience one group in society more than others, it isn't at all descriminatory, it doesn't single out a single group at all, it simply legislates against behaviour (which is applicable to everyone).

IDK why the Government would do it though, I suppose possibly because anal sex is more "risky" in terms of the spread of STI etc, but I agree with you its a pretty dumb law :)

Name_Taken

HSC
Yes it is discriminatory. How is it not?
Becuase I can't have anal sex either @ 16, if I were in Queensland and nor can anyone else.

Why can't we have anal sex at 16? It's not like it's actually EQUAL or anything.
Its not like gay men are the only people capable of having anal sex, it inconvenienves everyone who wishes to engage in that activity, be they straight or not.

Regardless, it wouldn't really stop a gay couple from engaging in it anyway.

It doesn't single out a single group? My ass. If it didn't, then you wouldn't be here trying to single homosexuality out.
Lol, chill, I didn't write the law, I already conceeded that I thought it was dumb, but its not descriminatory, so stop pretending it is.

'Simply legislates against behavior'??? Don't talk 'good' on me, boy.
...But its true, little one.

I agree with the bottom bit. It's 'cause the Government hates homosexuality? I don't know. It's more 'risky'? People die more of smoking and binge drinking than anal sex. I don't see them stopping. 'Cause nobody cares about smoking, it's so common, but everyone makes all this big fuss over homosexuality.
Mine and many other peoples religious convictions lead them to conclude homosexuality is a sin and is morally unacceptable.

Smoking is a bloody repulsive habit, but religiously speaking, it isn't a sin, so morally I don't have a problem with it, but in a social context and as a lifestyle choice I strongly dissapprove of it regardless.

And gays are 20 times more likely to smoke, I just thought I'd throw that in for thought...

WHY NOT ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING TO HELP THE FREAKIN' SOCIETY?
Lets ban homosexuality and smoking!

Any Other reasons why doesn't anyone do something about smoking then? 'Cause it gives them money. But not anal sex. That's why the government does this. 'Cause they care about money and themselves, and tries to degrade others so they seem 'cool'.
Wtf... Lolk...

I already said, like 2 times now, that I think its a dumb law anyway, IDK why the Queensland Government backs this up, through it doesn't affect me at all so I couldn't care less.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
I would say if anything Christians have more of a claim to marriage than homosexuals, if it came down to that...
Christians have a 'claim' to marriage?

The first recorded mention of the performance of same-sex marriages occurred during the early Roman Empire. Others happened in China, Native American tribes, northern Europe, Africa and the Middle East... worldwide, basically.

The same ceremonies and customs used for straight couples were used for gay couples. Cicero mentions the marriage (using the latin verb for "to marry", i.e. nubere) of the son of Curio the Elder in a casual manner as if it was commonplace, he was "united in a stable and permanent marriage" to Antonius. Martial also mentions a number of gay marriages. Gay marriages were commonplace as Martial wrote of attending gay marriages as if there were "nothing special."

These gay marriages continued until Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire.

So essentially Christianity stamped out equality in Rome. And today Christians are still trying to prevent equality.

Jesus wouldn't support the bullshit church you seem to stand for.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Pfft. Stereotyping, again. I know personally plenty of gay couples whose relationships have lasted longer then those of straight marriages. They have raised children together and can hardly be called selfish.

If homosexuality is a chosen behaviour then so is heterosexuality.

You are reading the bible the wrong way.

In 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 and 1 Timothy 1:9-11, there are two major issues to consider when one approaches these passages: translation and sexual practices of Greek culture. A comparison of these verses in several translations of the Bible indicates that there is some confusion about how to translate two Greek words in these lists of vices Paul has enumerated. The two words are 'arsenokoitai' which is rendered in various translations as "homosexuals," "sodomites," "child molesters," or "perverts" and 'malakoi' which is rendered in various translations as "catamites," "the effeminate," or "boy prostitutes."

These Greek words are difficult to translate in the context of these passages. Malakoi is a common term and means "soft." It can refer to clothing (Matthew 11:8) or moral matters, meaning, "undisciplined." Arsenokoitai is a rare word and is made up of arseno meaning "man," and koitai meaning "bed, lying, or having sex with." When put together the word may mean "male prostitutes."
When these words are placed in the context of Greek culture in which Paul was writing, the passages have very specific meanings.

The Mediterranean world had a definition of sexuality that was based on dominance/submission and unequal status. Greek culture fine-tuned that definition with regard to status. Proper sexual relations occurred between people whose status was unequal. In addition there was a practice in ancient Greek culture known as pederasty in which younger men were socialized and educated through a close relationship with an older man. These older men were the boys' (age 12 or 13) patrons and, often, their lovers.

These relationships were seen as the key to raising up the next generation of city leaders and there were strict rules about how long the relationship should last and the roles of families within these relationships. Evidently there was some abuse happening in these relationships and young boys were being exploited and kept by the patron well after the boy had grown into adulthood (which would have made him an equal, hence violating the code of sex only among unequals).

These abusive relationships are what the apostle Paul is referencing, not mutually loving and caring relationships between people of the same sex.
what's all this non-sense about Greek?

don't you know the only true inspired word of god is the english KING JAMES VERSION

if english was good enough for jesus, it's good enough for me, you fag enabler

Bereie

HSC
Has everyone tried to give themselves a prostate massage yet?

Name_Taken

HSC
Citations plox. And is there any evidence that these unions were state endorsed, considered equal to heterosexual marriage and accepted as normal, or just tolerated for the sake of avoiding arguement?

And what does this prove, regardless? Many ancient civilisations promoted human sacrifice and slavery, does that mean that we should accept these aspects of their civilisation as well?

EDIT: And Greek pedestry, which was the most common manifestation of homosexuality among the culture of the upper classes, resembles what modern society would call pedophillia as much as it does homosexuality.

And no, I never said we owned marriage I just said, if it came down to that, Christians have a much stronger claim to marriage than homosexuals would.

And in regards to the history you posted, it may very well be true, we have always carried a disproportionate load of the burden of civilising various societies throughout human history.

Last edited:

Name_Taken

HSC
Which anti-gay haven of misinformation did you get this statistic from?
Hahah funny how anything which exposes homosexuality for what it is, even as a service for would-be homosexuals, highlighting the dangers associated with the lifestyle choice is percieved as descriminatory.

US's National Library of Health;

Cigarette smoking among lesbians, gays, and bisexu... [Cancer Causes Control. 2004] - PubMed result

Gay/Lesbian sexual orientation increases risk for ... [BMC Public Health. 2006] - PubMed result

Gays are also much more likely to engage in illicet drug use.

Fucking lol.

Last edited:

Name_Taken

HSC
And christians are 20 times more likely to be smug, I just thought I'd throw that in for thought...
Allowing homosexual activists a “protester’s veto” over legitimate medical inquiry and research will only cost more lives, as larger society and especially young men are denied clear information on the special health risks of “gay” sex compared to normal, natural, heterosexual intercourse.

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
Hahah funny how anything which exposes homosexuality for what it is, even as a service for would-be homosexuals, highlighting the dangers associated with the lifestyle choice is percieved as descriminatory.

Cigarette smoking among lesbians, gays, and bisexu... [Cancer Causes Control. 2004] - PubMed result

Gay/Lesbian sexual orientation increases risk for ... [BMC Public Health. 2006] - PubMed result

hmm... maybe they make poor life decisions from being oppressed and discriminated against? you ever though about that? what's that? you didn't? how suprising!

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

It's just a correlation though. It doesn't imply any information on what the cause of this difference is.

It doesn't tell us that for people of a stated homosexual orientation, which is biological, that if they chose to do what you're advocating, and abstain from sexual intercourse, that it would in any way reduce instances of drug use. The environmental or biological influence that causes drug use isn't implicitly linked to sexual activity.

You're also making a value judgement that using illicit drugs, smoking, is worse than not doing those things, something I would disagree with.

Name_Taken

HSC
hmm... maybe they make poor life decisions from being oppressed and discriminated against? you ever though about that? what's that? you didn't? how suprising!
Studies done in Amsterdam in the Neatherlands, where gays can marry (I think) and aren't "unfairly being persecuted by angry Christians!!" gave similar results, and further studies relating to promiscuity among homosexuals (in Neatherlands) demonstrated that gays on average have many more sexual partners than comparable heterosexual populations.

The contribution of steady and casual partnerships to the in... : AIDS

Baptist Press - MARRIAGE DIGEST: New study: Homosexual men prone to promiscuity - News with a Christian Perspective

News from Agape Press

Titburger

HSC
Studies done in Amsterdam in the Neatherlands, where gays can marry (I think) and aren't "unfairly being persecuted by angry Christians!!" gave similar results, and further studies relating to promiscuity among homosexuals (in Neatherlands) demonstrated that gays on average have many more sexual partners than comparable heterosexual populations.

The contribution of steady and casual partnerships to the in... : AIDS

Baptist Press - MARRIAGE DIGEST: New study: Homosexual men prone to promiscuity - News with a Christian Perspective

News from Agape Press
Don't dodge the question. How is this anything more than a correlation? How are you attributing this to being homosexual??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)