help pls (1 Viewer)

HSC_2023

HSC
Law degrees look good on a CV if you don’t want to do Law but want to enter the business field, makes you stand out vs comm/eco grads. However, the extra 2 year grind is simply not worth it (extra hecs debt, lost earnings for 2 years etc).

If you want to be a Lawyer, doesn’t really matter what you pair it with although Commerce / eco is the strongest pairing.

if you want to be an engineer or work in the science field, don’t do Law, it doesn’t make you stand out, it makes you look confused to the employer. “So why are you applying for this job, don’t you want to be a lawyer ? Type of questions.

As for science / eco or engineering/ eco they just don’t make sense as a pairing and it’s 6 years at uni if done with engineering.

every additional year at uni you forgo $80k in earnings plus you accrue HECS debt. If you’re interested in eco/commerce just do that and get out of uni in 3 years and start making bank.
Me doing law and advanced science and hoping to do a master's in biomedical engineering 💀💀

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
Don’t do advanced maths… even if you got an e4 in mx2
by advanced math, would that be like 'bachelor of science (advanced mathematics) (honours)' at unsw?? cause im doing that with actuarial studies
i love math, but im not the greatest at it

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
normal maths yes. advanced maths, e4 doesnt equate to coping. advanced maths is a grind 2nd yr onwards and u kinda need to like it, or ull likely just drop and go do sth easier like cs which gives similar job opps
whats the difference between normal maths and advanced maths

sheppy123

HSC
Yeah that’s why I don’t want to do it
I heard it’s v v hard so yeh nah I’d fail
So many people drop the adv maths part of the degree after 1st year, it’s actually insane.

It’s a completely different ball game, all I can say is good luck…..

idkkdi

HSC
each maths course has two variants. difference between normal and advanced is like 2u vs 4u. iirc unsw also restricts hds in normal courses to try push u into advanced courses

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
So many people drop the adv maths part of the degree after 1st year, it’s actually insane.

It’s a completely different ball game, all I can say is good luck…..
First year was hella easy (relative to workload) coming from someone hitting 90+s but peeping to 2nd year and the shitshow that was t3 (albeit it was mainly cs), cant lie might be scared XD

Last edited:

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
advanced sounds cooler lol.

Nah its just advanced forces you to take every higher level version of a math course e.g Normal maths students might just do MATH1131 (Math 1A) OR do Math1141 (Higher Math 1A) BUT adv. students must do Math1141 regardless. Furthermore adv. students have to be hitting 70+ (ideally DN+) for their maths courses in order to stay afloat, iirc 70 WAM is the minimum for honour and you can't go onto higher lvl 2 courses without getting 70+ in math1241 (higher maths 1b)

So why would anyone do advanced? Well advanced has an inbuilt honours system so that your degree is structured in a way such that you will ideally just flow onto a honours year without needing to do the normal procedure of applying for honours from a normal maths degree e.g bachelor of sci with major in maths, because you already demonstrate your competence.

In lvl 2+ courses, there are actually noticeable differences between the higher math courses in that you miss over topics or don't really extend your knowledge and just doing the normal version for all ur lvl 2+ courses would mean you're less familiar with the content relative to someone who studied all the higher courses. Difference not as big in lvl 1 courses (if not any difference, just trickier questions) but from ppl i spoke to, the gap seems to get bigger (hence ppl dropping to bachelor of sci or just dipping the degree) and i can only imagine that gap of knowledge will get bigger over time.

Thats the jist of it, go to the honours page to see more specifics. For e.g you'll need 70+ average for all your lvl 3 math courses, do certain math courses, be a certain major and so on.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)