help pls (1 Viewer)

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
so i decided not to apply for eco/law degree at usyd since im not interested at all in law and would rather do other things

i need help choosing between these other options they are similar imo help pls:
(all of them are double degrees involving eco)
compsci/science/adv science honors/commerce/actuarial studies/ adv mathematics

PLEASE IDK

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
ive seen eco/math pairings so thats not unusual, would recommend it for you if you're interested in both fields and how math plays a role in eco models etc. but I would preface by saying you should ideally be interested in both fields in their own right rather than just appreciating eco solely for using maths. In that way, you'll appreciate how the more complex concepts can be quantised and also recognise limits of mathematical models in eco from what ive heard

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
also im bad at maths i wont be able to cope i heard it becomes hell in second year so im thinking abt the other options like science or actuary tho thats hard too idfk

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
apparantly stuff like data and stats is under science so im confused
Statistics and Mathematics are... mathematical sciences. Science in high school generally refers to the natural sciences but are much more broader in university. I've met many people doing the adv science degree as a result of its insane scope of majors where we dont even share remotely any courses e.g biotech, geology ppl.

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Statistics and Mathematics are... mathematical sciences. Science in high school generally refers to the natural sciences but are much more broader in university. I've met many people doing the adv science degree as a result of its insane scope of majors where we dont even share remotely any courses e.g biotech, geology ppl.
im lowk interetesd in biotech/chem woudl it be stupid to do those with eco?...

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
also im bad at maths i wont be able to cope i heard it becomes hell in second year so im thinking abt the other options like science or actuary tho thats hard too idfk
Actuarial studies is quite intensive on statistics.... you're not going to be missing it anytime soon, in-fact they get a headstart on second year topics such as double integrals and more complex matrix topics iirc and some other stuff that not even we higher maths students do. Of course the mathematics I suppose won't be comparable to say pure maths courses but it is still quite difficult, I do know that they take theory of stats and extend on that etc. so I doubt you'll miss it. Most act. students ik are already strong at maths and dont struggle at that aspect so yeah...

TLDR suck it up with your options, you're going to be having to hone your mathematics skill regardless. Go for the option which genuinely interests you, not something you think is less easier.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
im lowk interetesd in biotech/chem woudl it be stupid to do those with eco?...
Not sure how chemistry or biotech complements eco, there's certainly no direct intersections such as math + eco would offer you e.g quantitative modelling, stats, deeper knowledge etc. Ig the math skill you learn in eco is also transferrable to chem but like you'll just do the same introductory course i presume (higher maths 1a/1b) and its not really a significant overlap?? I guess you might do written essays in both but like if you're doing honours or a subject like eco you'll already be expected to be good at it...???

Personally I don't really see any overlap or a career field at the intersection of both of these degrees however a point could be made that you just want to get a career from chem or biotech and eco's there just to complement, like soft skills or some bs, but then I'd just much rather do a single degree and spend the other time doing practical stuff such as work or internships...?

Not saying its stupid but just make sure the combination you choose has some viable paths down the road, that's all I'd caution. Personally I wouldn't since I don't really know the utility of such combination besides vague stuff

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
what about gender studies @ExtremelyBoredUser ?
You have to understand that gender studies is a remarkable field which only a very few elite section of humanity has even the CHANCE to attempt to investigate and research let alone study, and most can't even stay in the field for long. It would be quite rude of me to impose such a intellectually jarring option, yes I get we are the top pioneers of the field but we have to humble ourselves with the less gifted and mingle with them.

Hopefully one day people will be able to appreciate the amazing contributions gender studies has provided to the modern epoch of humanity such as a hashmap for all the genders in the world, reducing time complexity of guessing one's pronouns from O(n) to O(1), furthermore our revolutionary condoms sponsored via taxpayers money which have chatGPT model 5, given at the behest of the US shadow agency, which are able to cybernetically store and retain data about the pronouns each individual has through an advanced platform colloquially known as facebook messenger.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Regardless of jokes, I hope everyone here choosing their degree don't fall into the pit of choosing redunant/irrelevant double degrees for the sake of it, yes you might feel like "fuck it ill choose some random degree to complement micropenis studies" but just know that down the track if you don't like a degree you'll have to forego the time/money/grind spent for that irrelevant degree. Nothing wrong with that, its just that its better prevented if you're just more conscious.

Choose double degrees that aren't literally the same thing but rather are good complemens and have some career lined down, even if you want to go into academia, in that way you'll feel more confident in if what your studying will yield anything. If you just want to do a single degree, not a problem, go for it.

Just know that solely studying won't get you anywhere, go get jobs, go do stuff outside of uni, you'll basically have to learn on your own, be more active in searching internships/opportunities and yea, unis "bearable" and at times "cool" if you recognise the expectations, this isn't high school.

All the best future first years, enjoy the pain experience of university.

carrotsss

HSC
Regardless of jokes, I hope everyone here choosing their degree don't fall into the pit of choosing redunant/irrelevant double degrees for the sake of it, yes you might feel like "fuck it ill choose some random degree to complement micropenis studies" but just know that down the track if you don't like a degree you'll have to forego the time/money/grind spent for that irrelevant degree. Nothing wrong with that, its just that its better prevented if you're just more conscious.

Choose double degrees that aren't literally the same thing but rather are good complemens and have some career lined down, even if you want to go into academia, in that way you'll feel more confident in if what your studying will yield anything. If you just want to do a single degree, not a problem, go for it.

Just know that solely studying won't get you anywhere, go get jobs, go do stuff outside of uni, you'll basically have to learn on your own, be more active in searching internships/opportunities and yea, unis "bearable" and at times "cool" if you recognise the expectations, this isn't high school.

All the best future first years, enjoy the pain experience of university.
can’t you also just do a double major anyway for some things rather than doing a full double degree

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
WAIT GUYS I heard u don’t do majors in first year this is a blessing I have to worry less wtf my friend just told me this is good so I just pick the degree yess

liamkk112

HSC
so i decided not to apply for eco/law degree at usyd since im not interested at all in law and would rather do other things

i need help choosing between these other options they are similar imo help pls:
(all of them are double degrees involving eco)
compsci/science/adv science honors/commerce/actuarial studies/ adv mathematics

PLEASE IDK
eco + acturial is kind of redundant since youre going through all the effort to become a qualified actuary, which means you will probably end up as an actuary, the extra knowledge is useful in other economical roles but its probably not if youre an actuary

eco + adv math could give you access to more quantitative jobs in economics, but if you're saying you think you will struggle with 2nd year maths then it might not be a good idea, eco already teaches you most necessary maths anyway.

eco + science could be redundant on the major (eg anatomy), but you could work as some sort of financial advisor (idk the name of this) where you can propose more efficient methods for scientific processes, probably something in manufacturing where u can help to improve factory processes (this is just one example). essentially you would be some sort of advisor based on the area u studied in your degree (does anyone know what this is called?)

eco + commerce i guess is good as there is a fair amount of overlap between these two fields, however im not really sure how different your studies would truly be between the degrees (prob best to look at handbook/majors)

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
also how much time would i have to change degrees
say i pick eco actuary cus its probably the highest atar req
when im in uni could i switch over to science?
What if the spots are full for science im not sure what happens then.
or what about future offer rounds if i change it then would the spoits be full..

s, but if you're saying you think you will struggle with 2nd year maths then it might not be a good idea,
idk if i will struggle with math i just heard its very hard (my math tutor said he dropped after second year and hes an ngo teacher)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)