Help please. (1 Viewer)

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
As OzKo said, there are no hard and fast rules, but for me your age would be an issue. It is very rare to find a 14 year old posting on BoS, let alone becoming a Moderator and for good reason. In this role, you are required to deal with people who are in their late teens/early 20s and it would be very difficult for someone that young to handle the responsibility. I mean, rumbleroar is the first Mod in their HSC year we have appointed since 2011 (and that was because she was an exceptional applicant).

I think you have the potential to become a Moderator at some point in the future - I'd just encourage you to diversify your contribution and establish yourself within the community.

Despite my last two posts, I always encourage people to apply and give it a go - we are always on the lookout for more Moderators, so dont be afraid to apply.
Hi,
Thanks for all the great tips and advice, much appreciated :)
How can i diversify and establish myself?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
TBH, I don't think you guys should worry about the opinions of what people think of you if you are seriously considering being a mod. If you're good enough, you shouldn't need the opinions of others to validate it. Know it in yourself that you're suitable, but don't be too cocky about it if it makes sense.

edit// of course in saying that, the application process is based on opinion, but it shouldn't deter you from wanting to be a mod.

enoilgam

HSC
What do you mean? Could you elaborate?
You need to show us that you can do more as a Moderator - like, are you active enough across the site to the point where we could benefit from the Moderation you provide. For example, a lot of the current Moderators are uni students, which means that they many often dont venture into the HS forums. If you were an active and highly respected member of the HS forums, that would encourage me to vote yes, because as a Mod, you would know all the main posters and the issues on those boards, hence making you a very effective Mod there.

Like I said before, anyone can make threads or answer questions - whilst we look favourably on that, you need to show a bit more.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
also another note -

don't make contributions just because you want to be a mod, do it because you actually want to help others. I think that's a very strong determining factor (for me at least).

also understand the responsibilities you are going to undertake if you're going to become a mod.

those would be my top two tips for any future applicants

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
TBH, I don't think you guys should worry about the opinions of what people think of you if you are seriously considering being a mod. If you're good enough, you shouldn't need the opinions of others to validate it. Know it in yourself that you're suitable, but don't be too cocky about it if it makes sense.

edit// of course in saying that, the application process is based on opinion, but it shouldn't deter you from wanting to be a mod.
Hi,
is there a limit on how many sub forums u can be moderator?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
don't make contributions just because you want to be a mod, do it because you actually want to help others. I think that's a very strong determining factor (for me at least).
The way I view it - becoming a mod is not a prerequisite of contributing, contributing is a prerequisite of becoming a mod.

enoilgam

HSC
How can i diversify and establish myself?
Just post more around the site pretty much so you are more recognisable as a senior figure in the community.

The way I view it - becoming a mod is not a prerequisite of contributing, contributing is a prerequisite of becoming a mod.
Much better version of what I have been trying to say.

I definitely agree with this as well. I know I have spoken a fair bit in this thread, but just take it as being an informative insight from one Moderator. A lot of people ask me about this privately and many dont know much about the process, so I am more than happy to openly discuss my thoughts and opinions on this, based on my experience as a Mod.

That brings me to my next point - what I have said in this thread represents my personal views and NOT those of the team.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Hi,
I'm just wondering what do u as a webmaster? It's a cool leadership position :)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Hi,
I'm just wondering what do u as a webmaster? It's a cool leadership position :)
Maintenance/upgrades to the forum and website. Stuff like the website design or deciding new features etc. is not up to me.

I'm also the moderator of the UTS section.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Maintenance/upgrades to the forum and website. Stuff like the website design or deciding new features etc. is not up to me.

I'm also the moderator of the UTS section.
can we be co-moderators of the UTS section

like we can have this awesome name like "Bromoderator" and everything

it'll be awesome

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Seriously guys, if you're interested in becoming a mod, just apply.

There's no point in asking whether a mod if s/he thinks you are suitable or not. All mods contribute to the discussion of whether an applicant should become a mod or not and if we think you should be a mod, you will be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)