Have your study goals actually stuck? (1 Viewer)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Especially on this website. I mean don't get me wrong, the pressure and competitiveness is good but you sometimes get lost if you go to a bad school (like me). DUX at my school got like 96 this year... I mean I'd be over the moon with that but when looking at the ATARs achieved by the 2012ers on this website, you realise the calibre of some students, how some on here get 'depressed' not ranking in the top ten of a 3unit selective school cohort, or some get depressed over 'only' achieving an ATAR of 95. The key thing is to really know where you are at and be happy that even though you're not achieving results similar to some on this website, acknowledge that you have put in 100% effort and achieved what you have.

Just my 2 cents on what LHS said. Now back to the point of the thread.

I haven't achieved my goals.
Yep definitely a skewed representation of the general HSC population on this site which can make people anxious that they are way off par with the HSC cohort-going to a rural comprehensive I saw a holistically more accurate breadth of approach and achievement to the HSC. And when I say achievement, it is something that many BoSers would perhaps look down on/not recognise. I mean I was celebrating for people with 70 ATAR getting into their dream course of nursing as much as I was celebrating with the people getting 90+.

Like many aspects of life, the HSC is your own race and you can't get distracted by what Bob, Mary and Jane are doing. You have your own circumstances, skill sets and admirations and you have to work to those.

Cinndy

HSC
N/A
I overestimated the amount of TIME I had.
I'm just cramming everything right now for the last two weeks.

Examine

same
HSC
Played too many games

The only progress I am relatively satisfied with is 4u Maths and Economics.
Have done minimal revision over complex numbers and polynomials for 4u Maths, though I ended up learning graphs and nearly conics.
Have not finished Economics notes though I ~generally~ know the content from topic 1 so it's all good. Finished economics assignment and have revised over some short answers.
Did end up finishing AOS Essay though never went on to write a second creative. Yet to finish reading Frankenstein.
Did end up finishing all legal notes though after that I never actually revised over them and quite frankly do not know too much of the content. Never ended up writing practice essays.
Have done shit all for 3u Maths (hoping to change that in the next few days)

Last edited:

DancingAnz

HSC
Was meant to do so much study these holidays but I decided to take it easy as i know i'll burn out fast when school comes back... And as weird as this sounds, i'm better at cramming my study- i feel like i study more effectively when I have an assesment coming up and I feel like my studyis going towards something.

yasminee96

HSC
I actually managed to finish all my physics and bio notes along with third column dotpoints, finished 2003-2008 HSC questions on physics (for module 1 though), finished all mx2 hsc questions from complex polys and graphs, did one paper 1 trial for english, almost finished a creative writing, and finally reached volume 3 of Great Expectations, also did tons of UMAT study and practice :)...
i think i've done enough for two months :p

and i actually did bio holiday homework...quite proud of myself there :D

Magical Kebab

HSC
I actually managed to finish all my physics and bio notes along with third column dotpoints, finished 2003-2008 HSC questions on physics (for module 1 though), finished all mx2 hsc questions from complex polys and graphs, did one paper 1 trial for english, almost finished a creative writing, and finally reached volume 3 of Great Expectations, also did tons of UMAT study and practice :)...

Good work... Unlike me i feel bad for not doing much..

2xL

HSC
Dw normally people do hardly anything during these holidays, myself included. I just made the most of my holidays at the time.

Magical Kebab

HSC
Dw normally people do hardly anything during these holidays, myself included. I just made the most of my holidays at the time.
So how many hours say a week did u study in these holidays and the 2 week holidays for year 12?

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

D: I'm screwed if everyone else is doing this

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Just focus on yourself Sy, dont worry about others :). The only thing you can control is what you do.
I'll try, though its hard to do so when aiming really high
Better get that deswa1 attitude.

2xL

HSC
So how many hours say a week did u study in these holidays and the 2 week holidays for year 12?
In the holidays..? The first 3 weeks were for "relaxing" time. The last 3 weeks (as soon as 2012 started on new year) I studied a bit here and there. Like one day I'd do a bit of chem and the next day I'd do nothing. It was not time based, more..I got done what I had to do and that was that for the day. For 2 week holidays I did a lot cos there were the half yearlies..and then the trials...so I did a lot. Defs studied every day but range from 3-6 hours depending if I went library or not (I generally got more done out of the house).

enoilgam

HSC
I'll try, though its hard to do so when aiming really high
I was aiming pretty high also (well for me it was high) and my mentality was "What can I do to be the best that I can be". I found that by focusing on others, you are just wasting your energy because it is something outside of your control. But I think that by focusing on yourself, you are able to get more out of yourself and your study.

That being said though, sometimes it can help to ask other people how they approach study or how they are going about preparing for certain subjects, but the whole "This person is doing X study and I'm only doing Y, I am screwed" mentality doesnt really help. As LHS said, you run your own race with the HSC. Sure, get advice from others, but dont let your study routine by dictated by your insecurities over what other people are doing.

Last edited:

Magical Kebab

HSC
In the holidays..? The first 3 weeks were for "relaxing" time. The last 3 weeks (as soon as 2012 started on new year) I studied a bit here and there. Like one day I'd do a bit of chem and the next day I'd do nothing. It was not time based, more..I got done what I had to do and that was that for the day. For 2 week holidays I did a lot cos there were the half yearlies..and then the trials...so I did a lot. Defs studied every day but range from 3-6 hours depending if I went library or not (I generally got more done out of the house).
Okay cool.

Hazballs

HSC
Hmmmmm, well i thought i was going to do heaps of work but i really didn't do that much.. I finished notes for all my subjects and went ahead and have done notes for the next topic in Bio and have done the next maths chapter but i just remembered i have to do a 2000 word religion essay, a belonging creative and i have about 10 maths work sheets to do for school =\

mac1996

HSC
I have set some goals, but I haven't fulfilled them, theres always another chance;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)