HARRY POTTER & THE HBP - what did you think? (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

Kyroth***

HSC
I was in awe of JK for killing him.
A few days before it was released, my friend and I were discussing what might happen, and we decided the most interesting thing to happen would be if Dumbledore were killed, because it means Harry would be on his own for the final book. But we didn't honestly think she'd do it!!!
I honestly though Snape was bluffing in that first bit. I really did. And I thought that Dumbledore begging for his life was SO SAD! It was just... argh! ;(

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
Kyroth*** said:
I was in awe of JK for killing him.
A few days before it was released, my friend and I were discussing what might happen, and we decided the most interesting thing to happen would be if Dumbledore were killed, because it means Harry would be on his own for the final book. But we didn't honestly think she'd do it!!!
I honestly though Snape was bluffing in that first bit. I really did. And I thought that Dumbledore begging for his life was SO SAD! It was just... argh! ;(
Was he begging for his life? Or is Severus not rly evil, and Dumbledore already knew about the Unbreakeable Vow, and he wasn't pleading for his life, but was asking Snape to 'please' go through with killing him?

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
The_highwayman said:
who is this Aberforth?

Damn, i have to re-read all the books again. i'm missing so much stuff!
I guess i have nothing else better to do.
Here's the Lexicon entry

And here's a quote from JKR from August '04

Why is the barman of the Hog’s Head vaguely familiar to Harry? Is he Dumbledore’s brother?

Ooh—you are getting good. Why do you think that it is Aberforth? [Audience member: Various clues. He smells of goats and he looks a bit like Dumbledore]. I was quite proud of that clue. That is all that I am going to say. [Laughter]. Well yes, obviously. I like the goat clue—I sniggered to myself about that one.
(http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/news_view.cfm?id=80)

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
i think we'll only know about snape etc in book 7... also, i'm very interested in aunt petunia - especially in the last two books, JKR keeps dropping hints that she isn't quite what she seems... eg in the HBP, when dumbledore said that harry needs to return one more time before his 17th bday, her face is "oddly flushed" or something.

it'd be so frustrating if JKR forgot to explain these certain, little things in the last book!!

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
If JKR doesn't explain why Voldemort was going to spare Lily's life when he tried to kill Harry, I'm boycotting the books. Ok not really. But she better explain.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
bubz :D said:
i think we'll only know about snape etc in book 7... also, i'm very interested in aunt petunia - especially in the last two books, JKR keeps dropping hints that she isn't quite what she seems... eg in the HBP, when dumbledore said that harry needs to return one more time before his 17th bday, her face is "oddly flushed" or something.

it'd be so frustrating if JKR forgot to explain these certain, little things in the last book!!
Yes, and i wanna know what was written in the letter dumbledore gave petunia right at the start because dumbledore had that talk with petunia in OotP (?) and then she agreed for harry to stay or something...

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
The_highwayman said:
Yes, and i wanna know what was written in the letter dumbledore gave petunia right at the start because dumbledore had that talk with petunia in OotP (?) and then she agreed for harry to stay or something...
I agree, whatever it was, it made her very scared when she was reminded of it again in ootp.

"Remember my last"... it doesn't even make sense, haha.

klh

HSC
im interested in how harry will find the horcruxes...hwo to vanquish you know who and yeah i guess know aobut th eother characters like neville and luna, too bad jk shot that ship down tho, i was on teh verge of thinking that theyd make a good match too...not that i ship, i mean everyone knew it was gonna be ron + hermione anyway...
aunt pentunia would be intereting...and dudley being treated badly or something? sing..its a few more years till the next one, just gonna content with the movies and reading them ove ragain...

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
Does anyone have any clue as to what the initials were in the cave at the end?

I've been looking round and some people think it's the initials of Siriu's Black's father - but he's not a big player in the story.

I've run out of ideas on that front.

renya

HSC
another thing, not really from HBP
in the 4th book at the end when harry tells dumbledore voldemort can touch him, harry sees a 'gleam of triumph' in dumbledores eyes. when i first read that i was convinced dumbledore was evil, but now dumbledores dead and i still dont understand that one line

rushki

HSC
i wonder how JKR came up with harrry potter because she remembers every little piece of information...something that may be irrevelant in one book is something big in the next...i think she had a dream on this or thought this when she was very little

this has involved a lot of time planning thats for sure

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
rushki said:
i wonder how JKR came up with harrry potter because she remembers every little piece of information...something that may be irrevelant in one book is something big in the next...i think she had a dream on this or thought this when she was very little

this has involved a lot of time planning thats for sure
She came up with the idea for harry potter when she was on a train ride.

I've got no idea how she's come up with some of these things but there are subtle references to modern day wicca.

Things such as mandrake plants actually exist. you won't find them in your local nursery though.

Even the flamel dude in the philosophers stone was an actual living person in the middle ages who was an alchemist.

She must delve deep to get this information.

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
duckofdoom said:
She came up with the idea for harry potter when she was on a train ride.

I've got no idea how she's come up with some of these things but there are subtle references to modern day wicca.

Things such as mandrake plants actually exist. you won't find them in your local nursery though.

Even the flamel dude in the philosophers stone was an actual living person in the middle ages who was an alchemist.

She must delve deep to get this information.
You'll find that most things in Harry Potter have their roots in mythology and folklore. "The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter" is pretty interesting if you want to learn more about the background of HP stuff.

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
here's an interesting theory: Harry is Voldemort's last horcrux. Discuss.

keladry

lady knight
HSC
that's a fairly common theory, but can horcruxes be made unintentionally? voldemort wasn't intending (as far as we know) to make harry a horcrux - is that even possible? harry was probably going to be the kill for a horcrux tho.

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
i have that book.

it was quite a fascinating read.

I've got a theory where Harry shouldn't be voldemorts chosen. It's really Neville. Revealed at the end of order of the phoenix dumbledore let slip about similarities he and neville shared eg same birthday.

if we can remember back to the prophecy, voldemort had limited information about who would defeat him. He made a last minute dash for harry.

Neville still has his parents alive, though in a comatose state. This could somehow give Neville an advantage as he actually has surviving magical relatives where harry has none.

Though Neville is not the most competent of wizards, when he did get fired up in O.O.P he was good.

We've yet to see the last of Neville.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)