HARRY POTTER & THE HBP - what did you think? (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
gotta agree with dreamerish... she doesnt look good there... lengy you have bad taste mate

still waiting

HSC
OMG the trailer for the movie looks awesome i cant wait and the best thing is well be finished so we can see it whenever we want!!!!!!
i wasnt the greatest fan of the first two the last one wasnt too bad but this one looks to top the lot.........

keladry

lady knight
HSC
trailer does look massively cool... but dont they use the best bits of the movie to make the trailer? i hope i dont get too disappointed with the final result...

the music in the trailer is so good i got chills down my spine!

then again, i got chills for the narnia trailer too... meh.

EDIT: oh and i agree with dreamerish: girls supposedly like cho and fleur in the real world are non existent in the normal population. in this world even. it's tough finding someone that can act AND look the part. and there's so much demand for perfection in the movies. it can't possibly live up to what is in our minds, put there by the words of a master.

Last edited:

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Orange Juice said:
gotta agree with dreamerish... she doesnt look good there... lengy you have bad taste mate
whatever mate, i think she's cute. i don't like the Fleur girl though. she's supposed to be spectacular in my opinion cause she's part Viela or whatever. Cho Chang's just a pretty girl.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
i agree with the fleur thing, she isnt pretty enough...but the cho chang character looks like a chubby man with long hair...not what i imagined at all

edit: i stand corrected. the photo in the paper is just a bad one of her. like dreamerish said, there are better ones. Such as:

Last edited:

jennylim

HSC
never heard that simile, but i agree...

the first photos of her with the mobile phone worried me, but the official pic of her is so pretty!!! i think she'll be good.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
the way the author described the characters, flo, cho and krum... i had imagined them to be gorgeous... so in my mind i had built this thing up... and when you do that it never lives up to your expectation

jennylim

HSC
well, fleur and cho yes. but krum not so much - he's duckfooted, skinny, sallow, with big eyebrows and a grouchy expression. he seems really sweet though...gentlemanly and kind and able to see inner beauty and all the rest of it. cedric and sirius, now, they're hot characters. especially sirius!!!!!! (at least in my imagination).

fleur's ok in the movie though. thought she'd be completely jaw-droppingly stunning, but there's really nobody who is like that. kind of like helen of troy, i guess...how do you portray the most beautiful woman in the world?

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
cedric was ugli from what i can remember... i guess them brits dont have hotties...
krum, to me was hot because everyone idolised him... and i didnt think it was only because if quidditch

scoby_2000

HSC
Argonaut said:
What is it with mentors dying in fantasy books? You've got Gandalf in LotR, Dumbledore in Harry P and Asmodean and Moiraine in WoT (though he's a bad guy and her fate is in the balance) ...
Obi Wan.... Quai Gonn.....

its all about the learner becoming the learned...

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Argonaut said:
What is it with mentors dying in fantasy books? You've got Gandalf in LotR, Dumbledore in Harry P and Asmodean and Moiraine in WoT (though he's a bad guy and her fate is in the balance) ...
It's a convention of the genre argo. Rowling mentioned it herself in the Emerson/Melissa interview thing. The mentor has to die, so that the hero can go on his journey alone, and generally be a hero.
It's like in crime fiction where the detective solves the crime and there's a big confrontation scene...like in Miss Marple...Agatha Vhristie books are all the same...there is a name for that, but I forget.
jennylim: I agree. But There was a pic of her at a premiere on mugglenet as well she was wearing this skivvy thing? And with the actor that plays Cedric.

Last edited:

jennylim

HSC
googooloo said:
why Snape kill dumbledore
well, that's the million dollar question, isn't it? easy surface answer: he took the unbreakable oath and would die if he didn't.

deeper options:
1) he is actually an evil voldemort supporter who pretended to be on the Light side and finally showed his true colours and hatred.
2) he is a double-double crosser - dumbledore actually wanted him to kill him in order to save draco (?) or perhaps because he knew he was dying. and snape's murder of dumbledore is actually a good thing for the order. in fact, the theory that snape is good is supported by a few pieces of evidence:
- him saving harry/ron/hermione in PoA by lying to fudge about what happened in the shrieking shack
- him saving sirius
- him protecting harry in the fight at the end of HBP by going "don't torture him, he's the Dark Lord's" as well as running away and minimising the damage other death eaters could do.
3) snape follows no one and will simply serve himself.
4) he and narcissa are having it off and he wants to do a big favour for her and save her son (who he also likes heaps, though not quite in the same way).

who knows??

shinigamideathg

HSC
My thoughts

....I didn't like it.....

I found it tedious, the plot was weak.

The first chapter was useless and boring; it did not create atmosphere or context.

While the title was called 'Half blood prince...' the only indication of its importance was a couple of lines; where Snape finally confessed it was him.

It was POINTLESS in the end. What was the meaning of the title?

It was completely based on romantic ventures which were utterly 'fake - unrealistic,' - used, for lack of finding a better word.

The beast inside Harry had to be satisfied... disgusting....cliché and horribly annoying at times.

Nothing happened. His little adventure in the end was anti-climatic, he found a useless pendent - the only highlight was introducing another character which may be of importance.

Apart from the negative that slammed into me while reading the book, I suppose my main dissatisfaction arose from my own hope. I may have had too many expectations of it, prior to reading.

I wanted so much more out of the book.... and I found myself becoming disappointed the further I read.

The book felt like a mad dash of thoughts, strewn together weakly, utterly without structure and thought.

Perhaps I'm over analyzing it too much and yet I know, I will be eagerly anticipating the next book, as it is the conclusion to an interesting series. I find it difficult however to foresee how Harry will find all sections of Voldemort's soul in that last book.

Not to mention I adore Snape!! I believe he will see the light....perhaps....

I suppose, as a stand alone, the book may not be too bad.

jennylim

HSC
simply because this is a HP and the HBP forum, i will post that "news" or "rumours" have come to light re: RAB.

www.the-leaky-cauldron.org, www.mugglenet.com and the harry potter lexicon have posted that a "reliable source" has revealed that RAB is Regulus Arcturus Black.

i will at once admit that we cannot be sure and that it is probably not JKR. but i thought that if it merited a post on the leaky cauldron, the HP lexicon and mugglenet, there must be at least something to it. the leaky cauldron in particular is a pretty reliable HP news source.

up to you to keep speculating though!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)