HARRY POTTER & THE HBP - what did you think? (SPOILERS!) (4 Viewers)

Libbster

HSC
Also I'm really hoping that Snape had some secret reason to kill Dumbledore that would actually weaken Voldemort or something. Grr I hate Snape so much!!!!! My two fav characters have now died!

I think the thing with the vanishing cupboard was weird, it just came out of nowhere. I knew Malfoy was up to something, but fixing a cupboard to let in death eaters? I feel that this book lacked substance, I wanted more information on Voldemort, who didn't make an appearance (suprisingly)!!! I still can't believe Snape AK'd Dumbledore. However, his death was more spectular than poor Sirius, who just fell through the door.

also, i thought the real reason dumbledore trusted snape would be revealed. It doesn't really make sense that he trusted him just because he admitted his mistake in telling voldemort about the prophecy. I want answers!!

I finished the book in 5h 40 mins and got it at Big W for $22.43

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Yeah Snape's face was one of 'revulsion and hatred' or something when he killed Dumbledore. However, I guess the thing is, he's an actor. He's been acting for like 16 years. It is possible he was fulfilling his unbreakable vow (hence not wanting to be called a coward, cos it's the things that are true that we shy away from) and keeping up his facade with the death eaters.
But then, Dumbledore was pleading with him, wasn't he? Not in the "please, I'll do anything" verbal, but more of a... non-verbal.

I don't know, I doubt he's 'good', but there are ways around it. I doubt anyone on the side of good would be willing to accept him ever again though, considering Dumbledore was the reason they trusted him in the first place and he killed Dumbledore [even if for self preservation].

jennylim

HSC
$22!! damn, we paid $28 at k-mart. haha i was sooo tempted to buy 2 (for my 11 year old sister and i) but we just got one and she read it in 4 and a half hours and then i read it in a similar time...it was just so annoying that she was running around screaming, and then going "NO! NO!!! omg what?!?!". and then i asked her about that silly spoiler the other night and she actually told me it was true.

persephone

HSC
I think he was really annoyed at being called a COWARD because he wasn't one. He was being a double agent. His life was always on the line. For Harry to call him a coward ... after he had to kill Dumbledore or else die because of the Unbreakable Vow ... that must have really dug deep.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
persephone said:
I think he was really annoyed at being called a COWARD because he wasn't one. He was being a double agent. His life was always on the line. For Harry to call him a coward ... after he had to kill Dumbledore or else die because of the Unbreakable Vow ... that must have really dug deep.

Well, lets just accept your little theory of Snape still being essentially 'good', right?
In theory, when 'good' people are confronted with choices of sacrifice etc, they should make the choice that benefits the world at large, not themselves.
If he was forced into crisis point by the vow, he ultimately made the cowardly decision. You can't deny that.

persephone

HSC
Chapter Two, Spinner's End
--making the Unbreakable Vow
"...if it seems Draco will fail...will you carry out the deed that the Dark Lord has ordered Draco to perform"
There was a moment's silence. Bellatrix watched, her wand upon their clasped hands, her eyes wide.
"I will," said Snape.

So, if Draco was supposed to kill Dumbledore and couldn't do it, Snape had to, because of the vow had to do it for him.

Chapter 16, A Very Frosty Christmas
-- on the unbreakable vow
"What happens if you break it, then?"
"You die," said Ron simply.

So, he would die. I suppose he was a coward in that sense but not in the way Harry was thinking when he saw Snape running off with Draco.

Btw, in Spinner's End ... I kept thinking that all those Narcissa/Snape shippers were hoping that they'd kiss and reveal that Draco was Snape's love child .... but alas, it was not to be!

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
that's what i was thinking too (i think i mentioned it before)

about the unbreakable vow... that snape HAD to kill him, whether he wanted to or not.

however, i still think he's an evil prat.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Uhh... that's what I said. He made the cowardly choice to avoid self sacrifice.

persephone

HSC
glycerine said:
Uhh... that's what I said. He made the cowardly choice to avoid self sacrifice.
Sorry. I get carried away. I still think he's good. Although we didn't get to find out much about Snape as I had hoped.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
i've only read up to the 5th chapter but i want to be an idiot and use these tags

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
just a couple of things

- i think the griffindor sword would make good bait for voldemort as a horcrux since he is a few short now and dumbledore specifically mentioned it
- slughorn was brought for a reason other than the memory
- R .A. B.? i thought black too when i first asked the question
- hasnt harry leant hes not real good with the unforgivable cureses by now? needs a fighting instuctor
- ollivander was taken to solve the wand problem obviously, priori incantatem cant rely on that anymore

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
urdy said:
Did anyone else get the feeling that a LOT was left out? There weren't that many "unsolved puzzles" revealed. And I've read it thrice already, each time was crappier. It does sound really sold out... The quest for missing pieces blah blah, hero must do it alone without anyone blocking his path. Meh. Great book though. Probably the best. I just wanted more substance to it! There were a few needless and stupid chapters, e.g. the first one. Btw was it just my version that had quite a few grammatical and spelling errors? It kinda distracted me, e.g. the fug patch that was left at the window by his breath?
you've read it 3 times already?!?!?! how?

and yeah the fug patch annoyed me too. there were a few errors. I HATE errors in books because i pick them all up. my brain doesn't like seeing errors... i swear i should be a proofreader.

and ARGH!!!!! at fleur. though the girl they've cast for the movie i sooo can't see doing that.

Beckiki_S

I call President!
HSC
Relationships
Was happy about Ron and Lavender (because I wanted Harry and Hermione to get together) UNTIL it was obvious that their relationship was shit, and that Hermione was into Ron.
Liked Ginny and Harry after a bit, so excited when they kissed after the quidditch final. Thought Harry should be a gentleman and say something to dean though, they DO live together.
Lupin and Tonks wtf - totally agree it was so fan-fiction. Happy because I like Lupin so i want him to have someone, but to me Tonks' behaviour in the book made her seem like a bit of a red herring.

Death
It just had to be Dumbledore.
At one stage I thought (hopefully), maybe it'll be Snape or Malfoy, but I knew she couldn't resist making a big splash and killing Dumbledore off.
I was so frustrated with the fact that Harry could do nothing but watch.

The Killer
Fuck, I hate Snape.
Always have.
I'm glad everyone KNOWS he's evil now. For once Harry hasn't said something and everyone has gone "you're a liar, you're confudded".
However, it IS a bit far fetched that dumbledore didn't pick up the whole thing. Stupid really.

The Half Blood Prince
This was all really crap.
The whole thing about being good at potions and using the prince's spells was so inconsequential, it was frustrating that this was the title because in anticipation of the book, i expected the half blood prince to be so integral to the story, especially considering the whole Harry/Voldemort commonality of being half-blood.
And I too, almost missed the part where Snape let harry know that he was the HBP.

In General
A bit of a disappointment.
I'm really happy with Harry's portrayal. JK made him a wanker in the last book and just stripped him of everything so it's really nice to see him mature a bit and for her to give him a little bit of pleasure.
The book is not really appropriate for 7 year odls or anything, with the language and themes etc, not that i wouldn't let a 7 year old read it, but yeah, its not so innocent.
Has anyone noticed that JK's new favourite word is "surreptitiously"?
Not much REALLY happened in the book. Apart from Snape killing Dumbledore, book 6 felt like a major filler.

Arvin Sloane

We are not amused.
HSC
Where in Harry gets stoned:

He found that he was breathing very slowly and deeply and that the ... fumes seemed to be filling him up... A great contentment stole over him; he grinned across at Ron, who grinned back lazily.

persephone

HSC
I think I may have missed the part where the word SLUT is used.... I'm going back to find it ...

Arvin Sloane

We are not amused.
HSC
The slut scene:

Voldemort did not answer. Morfin was working himself into a rage again; he brandished his knife and shouted, “Dishonored us, she did, that little slut! And who are you, coming here and asking questions about all that? It’s over, innit. . . . It’s over. ...”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)