HARRY POTTER & THE HBP - what did you think? (SPOILERS!) (2 Viewers)

jennylim

HSC
i was sobbing through the end too bubz...and i am going to kill that fucking person who put the real spoiler up!!!!

but all the same i didn't WANT to believe it, i kept trying to say no, he's just lying to bellatrix and narcissa. because he seemed trustworthy (cos of dumbledore) and like a tragic figure who was just funny and snarky all the time and...aargh i can't believe he killed dumbledore!!!!! what was going thru dumbledore's mind when he saw snape with the "avada kedavr.."?!?!? i think i was just kind of shellshocked..

but moving on from that, i am very glad that harry is way more likeable in this one than in OotP and i am SO HAPPY that ginny made him happy and that he loves her and the spiderman thing was just so sweet!! i have been a proud H/G-er since GoF.

hmm...a thought...maybe ginny will die in the next one...and harry will die in the end. meaning he'll be reunited with sirius, dumbledore and ginny. bittersweet. and ron and hermione will get married and name their first son harry, and their first daughter ginny...

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
jenny - afterwards, i started crying all over again when i re-read the part where dumbly is murdered, how he must've felt when it dawned on him that snape WASN'T what he thought he was.... and how he was begging snape, and the way snape looked at him before killing him...

i felt the biggest chill go down my spine, and that doesn't happen to me often :|

my poor harry... my poor dumbledore.... omfg snape you idiotic bastard

7th Sign

HSC
im up to page 531 man I am loving this books soo much I raced to the shop at 7.30am today and waited in the line today with some other wonderful people their was this 40 year old guy dressed up like a magician and a 45 year old girl in a witches outfit lols best people kekekekek I havn't dropped it since I got in the door at 9.20 :D ....

back to reality ...seriously get a life how can you get soo caught up over a book how can this book turn 40 year old people into acting like total gronks seriously.....maby if their was a reason to que up at the shops for hours to get free money i would but to que up for a book...dammmm....

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

I just finished it!!!

got home at like 3 o clock and started reading

and reading

i can't be bothered using spoilers so i won't say anything related to the plot

but agree with what bubz said above

soooooo sad, like seriously the first time i have ever been that close to crying over a book...... *sniff*

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
waddle_828 said:
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

I just finished it!!!

got home at like 3 o clock and started reading

and reading

i can't be bothered using spoilers so i won't say anything related to the plot

but agree with what bubz said above

soooooo sad, like seriously the first time i have ever been that close to crying over a book...... *sniff*
Dude....you're a dude.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
OH MY GOD!
fuck, i suspected dumbledore would die and i guess it was kind of predictable but for ALL THE BOOKS she made it sound like such a fucking definite cast-in-stone reason for trusting snape. the chapter at the beginning (with the unbreakable vow) made me go ok where's she going to twist this?? but i really did believe snape was ultimately working for the 'good guys'.
poor harry, he can never have any real parental figures can he??

do you think they're actually not going back to hogwarts?? i guess he can't if he's going to be searching for the hocruxes...

persephone

HSC
SPOILERS --- if you haven't read the thread topic.

I hate JK ROWLING...
I don't but I hate her for killing off Dumbledore. For Harry and Ginny clumsily getting together. For all the Ron and Hermione stuff. For all the parts that were written as bad pieces of fanfiction.

So no Hogwarts next year??? Will they be trying to kill Voldy on their own....

I'm disappointed. So many unanswered questions!!!

I feel ripped off.

Last edited:

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I think that was the point of this book though, cos if you think about it, excluding the end, nothing really happened, bar a start to unravelling the mysteries of Voldemort etc. It was different to the other books which were very action based and less focused on revealing the past. (Not to say that they didn't focus on the past, but I felt the ratio shifted in this one).

Basically I think its main purpose was to set up a finale. There were definite flaws but I think it's done its job in that it's forced the series to a crisis point and culmination of the stuff that's been building up for the last 6 years.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
definitely, heaps of unanswered questions that mugglenet.com said WOULD be answered in HBP. let's hope she does answer all of them in book 7 (wonder how long that'd take to be released :p)

ahhh JKR, how could you do this to harry.

for a split second, i was wondering whether the reason snape killed him was not because he was on the dark side, but because he was bound by the unbreakable vow.... le sighe

persephone

HSC
Tonks and Lupin??? Out of someone's fanfiction mind.... Some parts were so like fanfiction I wanted to puke. And what was with all the blatant love/crush stuff. Usually she's so subtle. btw, still a H/Hr shipper. The Weasleys will pay ...

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I thought the Tonks and Lupin stuff was so incredibly irrelevant, and added nothing. I agree that her approach to the romance side of things was nowhere near her usual skill.

However while there's still stuff to be answered, I think a LOT of stuff got answered as is.

persephone

HSC
Some other stuff came to mind... I didn't cry when Dumbledore died. I got a bit misty. And the spoiler last night on BoS made me keep thinking about it. I didn't think that Dumbledore actually died. I thought he would turn up in his office and other person was decoy. Perhaps Snape was bound by the Unbreakable Vow. But there is probably more to Snape than was answered in this book.

The shippy stuff in this book was the worst part I think. It was treated so badly. I'm being repetitive but I'm so used to tiny little clues. Which there was in the beginning and then became more obvious towards the end.

All the snogging was pretty freakish too.

I kept thinking that the actors: Dan, Rupert and Emma, will have a lot of fun filming this one...lots of kissy kissy

elisabeth

HSC
On relationships
Liked all the random relationships - Bill and Fleur even after he was maimed, Tonks and Lupin... how sweet. I wish Hermione and Ron actually got together, not just all that tension going on. Would one snog have hurt, JK? Harry and Ginny... eh.

Other characters
Gah, where were Viktor Krum and Lucius?! I love them.

Death
Omfg, I can't believe Dumbledore is dead. I jokingly told my little brother "oh, Dumbledore dies!" two chapters in, I didn't really think it'd happen. Anyway, his death made me feel all unsafe and worried about the future... he's the kind of strong, dare I say father figure, who keeps you feeling secure even if the outside world is going to the dogs. Who's gonna lead them now? I don't think Harry or anyone else inspires that kind of safe feeling.

Villian
How obvious was it that Malfoy was up to something suss, I missed the complete element of surprise, a twist in the ending, like there were in other books. One of the best things about her writing style were all the subtle clues that were so important for the conclusion. It sucked that it was so clear from chapter two that Snape was on the dark side. And I liked him, he was just a gruff guy who got a bit screwed over by James & co... I know not too many other people agree, but yah. Maybe a light romance would've fixed Snapey. I greatly resent how we never found out why Dumbledore had such faith in him.

Book 7
I liked how the earlier books were more light hearted, funny tales of school adventure. I have fond memories of reading all the other books for the first time. But we're at least 6 years older now, it's a darker world, the readers can handle a war, I guess. It made me a little sad that they won't be going back to school, Hogwarts rocked.

Last edited:

persephone

HSC
I was actually waiting for answers about Petunia, whether she is witch/muggle/squib.

Being repetitive because I ship, and will always ship, H/Hr.... Early on I thought everyone was on that stupid love potion thing. Which would explain all the sucking face around school. And when did Ginny turn into a tramp? I never liked Ginny to begin with.

I thought we would find out more about Lily and James but we didn't. So perhaps book 7 will be a long one. It probably might take 3 years till we see the next one again.

But nothing really did happen in this book. I still don't know why Voldemort went all psycho on everyone...

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Actually I have a question -- where *was* Voldemort? Obviously behind the scenes applying pressure etc... I dunno.... it seemed like he was absent (even after all the history lessons and shit). Like why wasn't he there are in the last chapters??

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
It was only 600 pages, and it's not like they're dense or anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)