HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - thoughts (SPOILERS!!) (1 Viewer)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I don't like that they all got married and lived happily ever after. So I'm ignoring that little '19 years later' epilogue. :s

On the whole, it was kind of disappointing, only because I'd been building it up in my head ever since I put down book 6. I'm still going to read it again though, I was so determined to get through it and find out all the answers that I just powered through. I feel kind of relieved that it's over, but it's a bittersweet relief. :)

I think the second half of the book was better but it felt rushed. Also, we were meant to find out what the Dementors made Dudley see. Did I miss it or was that a great big lie?

Loved the Snape stuff. Honestly, I thought he was evil, but I thought the way they did it was cool without being too much of a stretch / too corny or whatever

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
FFS posting the ENTIRE book on the net does not wreck it for everyone, posting a few pages or telling people what happens is what wrecks it for everyone.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Yeah but... posting the ENTIRE BOOK BEFORE IT'S RELEASED is what leads to a few pages being highlighted/people being told what happens dumbass

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
I have to say, I think it lagged a little around the halfway mark when all they did was jump from place to place not really achieving anything. Nor did I like the way the Deathly Hallows were dropped on us halfway through; until now there had been no foreshadowing of it. Every other major plot point - be it important to a single book or multiple ones - was introduced in some way, shape or form beforehand. Take polyjuice potion, horcruxes and portkeys as examples. The Deathly Hallows were simply dropped on us halfway through. Ditto the diadem, I found it very neat that Harry had already found it the way he did. Percy waking up to everything was rather corny, and I found the whole secret-entry-though-the-Hog's-Head to be a little unbelievable; I think Rowling relied on the Room of Requirement far too much.

The only thing I'm really curious about now is which character got the reprieve and lived and which one had to die in their place. And if JKR forshadowed the Final Fight through the chess match in Book 1, who was the other knight? (Then again, Ron wasn't killed ...)
glycerine said:
I don't like that they all got married and lived happily ever after. So I'm ignoring that little '19 years later' epilogue. :s
Same.

Last edited:

umop 3pisdn

Banned
HSC
Something unexpected about the ending would have been nice... the closest we got was Neville killing Nagini, which was fun.

Also did anyone cry because of any of the deaths? The only one I found sad was Dobby :/

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
I have to say, I think it lagged a little around the halfway mark when all they did was jump from place to place not really achieving anything. Nor did I like the way the Deathly Hallows were dropped on us halfway through; until now there had been no foreshadowing of it. Every other major plot point - be it important to a single book or multiple ones - was introduced in some way, shape or form beforehand. The Deathly Hallows were simply dropped on us halfway through. Ditto the diadem, I found it very neat that Harry had already found it the way he did.
Yeah I completely agree now that you say that. I knew that there was something I didn't like about the whole Hallows thing and that's exactly it. And there was soooo much that could have been done, it just seemed like such an unneccessary and convulted plot device.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
umop 3pisdn said:
Something unexpected about the ending would have been nice... the closest we got was Neville killing Nagini, which was fun.

Also did anyone cry because of any of the deaths? The only one I found sad was Dobby :/
I got teary when Fred and Dobby died. I couldn't turn on the full waterworks (like I did for Dumbledore) because I was in the middle of Burwood Westfield foodcourt :eek:

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Yeah I got all teary at Fred's death, too. The deaths were just, on the whole... I don't know, so brushed over. I'm referring, I guess, to the end deaths, not MadEye, Dobby, Hedwig etc, because there was more time to deal with those.

Also - if Ginny and Harry had to get married and live happily ever after - why were all their kids named after his lost loved/admired ones? I mean, why wouldn't Ginny maybe want to remember her dead brother who also died for the greater good? Pfft

HSC
umop 3pisdn said:

True. It was pretty much all very expected.

As for the deaths. Dobbys death was sad, i was pissed off at Severus dying, but cried when reading about his past not his death.

But other than that i thought it was very rushed, especially the deaths.

Also didn't like the whole Harrys POV thing. Like they didnt show about anyone except him and his best friends!

the last laugh
HSC
Aren't all the books from Harry's POV? :p

I agreed with the naming - what about Fred?! I thought the whole Albus Severus, James, Lily etc thing was a bit over the top... and yeah, I'd definitely prefer naming my kid Fred over Albus :p At least Ron and Hermione's were alright... and Scorpius?? Bloody wizards.

I need to read over the part where Voldemort supposedly kills Harry, but then he's actually alive... again. Actually, I think I need to read the entire thing again :p

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
glycerine said:
Yeah I got all teary at Fred's death, too. The deaths were just, on the whole... I don't know, so brushed over. I'm referring, I guess, to the end deaths, not MadEye, Dobby, Hedwig etc, because there was more time to deal with those.

Also - if Ginny and Harry had to get married and live happily ever after - why were all their kids named after his lost loved/admired ones? I mean, why wouldn't Ginny maybe want to remember her dead brother who also died for the greater good? Pfft
I found Dobby's death to be the saddest, but Fred's too largely because it was in the vein of Tara Maclay's in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Fred was a character a lot of us were attached to and his death happened very quickly. If he were a metre to the left or right, he might have survived, just like Tara. But every other death either happened "off-screen", as it were (Lupin, Tonks and Mad-Eye) or was rather confusing as to how it happened (Hedwig). Snape was the only exception to all that.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I do understand why all the later deaths were almost incidental, it was a battle, you can't sit down and mourn every death during battle a la the Sirius and Dumbledore deaths. But, I don't know, she could've done something. Used the 4 or 5 pages she used for that travesty of an epilogue to actually address the deaths. Or something. Anything but what she actually wrote!

HSC
bubz :D said:
Aren't all the books from Harry's POV? :p

I agreed with the naming - what about Fred?! I thought the whole Albus Severus, James, Lily etc thing was a bit over the top... and yeah, I'd definitely prefer naming my kid Fred over Albus :p At least Ron and Hermione's were alright... and Scorpius?? Bloody wizards.

I need to read over the part where Voldemort supposedly kills Harry, but then he's actually alive... again. Actually, I think I need to read the entire thing again :p
Yes but like they include things like Severus' life-and his POV of the whole thing. But this was mainly the ending, like it was only Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginnys' future. They didnt mention much of the others.

I'm re-reading it probably tomorrow.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Malfoy said:
What the hell kind of name is 'Kendra' Dumbledore, when you've given the rest of the family Latinate names?

Uhh Bec, you realise Dumbledore wouldn'tve been her maiden name? Her maiden name could be Kendra Smith for all we know. :p

the last laugh
HSC
Oh Beccy I just replied to your Facebook message but half of it got cut off for some reason arghh.

But yeah I agree with the epilogue. And I do think she rushed through a lot of it - she could've told us some of the stuff in this novel in HBP or something.. and Harry suddenly being able to perform Unforgivable curses? Hmph. I mean, I know he has to "mean them" for them to work, but still...

Oh and I just got confused with a lot of the Dumbledore story - probably due to my rapidly deteriorating eyesight. Will have to read again

And i've heard of the AS/S thing already... Oh God...

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
okay confirmed. i'm not buying it. knowing the main plot points that have been posted here is enough...it's not worth the money imo.

i really really really wanted harry to die.

and lord voldemort killing himself by accident? WTF. Also a nice to WTF to "Accio Hagrid", I cannot think of any scenario where that would be acceptable and not just weird.

SO, yeah, that's 30 odd bucks i'm keeping. :(

the last laugh
HSC
Beccy - yeah, Crabbe or Goyle tried to kill one of them in the Room of Requirement, right? I just thought it was a bit sudden that Harry could Imperius the goblin and nothing was explained... oh and I also found it pretty horrible (but predictable, I guess) that ALL the Slytherins walked out of the Great Hall before the battle.

And I still think Albus Severus is a horrible name :p Sorry guys!!

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
man, that epilogue is a piece of shit.

I wanted Ginny dead, Harry dead and Snape ALIVE damnit. :mad:

also disappointed Minerva wasn't the back-stabbing, death-eating traitor the conspiracy theorists convinced me she was. damn you JKR, for not being half as brilliant as half your fans.

Last edited:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Two questions:
1) How exactly did Voldemort die in a room full of love? Maybe I was too busy trying to work out how he had died exactly (the whole Elder Wand subplot confused me a bit because it appeared out of nowhere), but from what I gather, Harry's second survival protected everyone in Hogwarts. While it might have been full of Harry's love for others, the others certainly didn't love Harry back.

2) What exactly are the Deathly Hallows? It wasn't clearly exaplined what they are (or even if they're a physical place). I got the important part, that Voldemort needed to control it to control Death itself, but are the Hallows the place beyond the veil? Methinks I may have read the last third too quickly ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)