HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - thoughts (SPOILERS!!) (1 Viewer)

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
I never liked Crabbe or Goyle so it didn't affect me much.

Oh, I found it a bit weird that of all people, the Muggle Studies teacher was killed in the first chapter. I mean, I get the related-to-Muggles thing, but Muggle Studies was always only mentioned in passing, and we'd never even heard her name before that chapter.. and the whole thing with Voldemort going on about how he didn't want to spill Wizarding blood - bit late, don't you think? :p

NB - After all my criticisms, I still liked the book :p I definitely need to read it again, though

Malfoy said:
You just know JKR is going to write a next-gen series of books featuring Teddy, Victoire, the three Potter kids and the two Weasleys.
ughhh no thanks!! Not that I won't rush out to buy it haha but I'd much rather an encyclopedia kinda thing.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I definitely need to read it again, though
Yeah me too. I need to understand the concepts of Deathly Hallows again.

xx__savannah

HSC
I think the Muggle Studies professor was edited out of the other books, a name very similar was reported to be that teacher, think it was in one of JK's interviews or notebooks or some such, on the Lexicon anyway.

Mixed feelings about Hedwig's death. I always thought she'd do a Fawkes and sacrifice herself for Harry, so semi-expected it, but I think it makes sense -- he had to lose someone/thing he wasn't expecting to drive the point home it really is a war, and he's had her for so long it'd hurt him. And she wouldn't have been able to do much anyway.
What happened to Crookshanks? Was he even at the Burrow?

the last laugh
HSC
Ah, I used read fics back in high school (which was what got me into Draco!), but I'd never read much on Crabbe or Goyle... though I always separated canon and fanon anyway :p

Yeah the whole wizarding blood thing... but surely he would've killed plenty of purebloods too? (Not that there are all that many floating around)

xx__savannah

HSC
yeah. So much for 'Harry gets a new pet' = Fawkes.
Seriously, I think JK made up some of her 'hints' to inspire people to write fake spoilers that go nowhere near the truth.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
We never get a mention of what happens to Godric's sword do we at the end?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I don't get how the Ministry of Magic was so easily infiltrated by Voldemort and the Death Eaters. It sounds like it didn't have any protection at all.

the last laugh
HSC
Doesn't Griphook end up with Gryffindor's sword?

And yeah.. The Ministry's just pathetic.

I got pretty confused during the middle part of the book when Harry, Ron and Hermione kept disguising themselves and going into the Ministry etc... had no idea what was going on (except that they were after the locket on Umbridge) and kept losing track of who was who

Libbster

HSC
i can't believe the way voldemort died, so anti-climatic. the deathly hallows were sort of thrown in and i've got to reread the part where Harry was talking to Dumbledore, that was weird.and the thing with the fire just seemed to random 'oh u can destroy horcruxes with that too'

i'm still in two minds about this book.

hedwig, fred and dobby dying :( :( :( :( :(

poor snape, i really liked him in the end. :(

xx__savannah

HSC
I think there were quite a few Imperiused people out there, cos it says that 'people up and down the country' came out of it, and probably a few were scared and intimidated into it under their Blood Status, I mean, Half Bloods could have been wondering whether they'll be the next to go and could earn a reprieve from that.

Speaking of reprieve, who was the character that was saved and the two extra who she decided to kill?
I'm thinking Hagrid was swapped for Remus & Tonks

Libbster

HSC
Malfoy said:
And I know - what was with Charity Burbage? We'd never even heard her name before, and suddenly *bang* there she is.
yeah wtf was with that, so random. didn't like that at all.

i thought fawkes may have re-appeared, what happened to crookshanks (i thought maybe that was the cat harry had as a kid lol) and kreacher wtf she built him up to be all nice and then didn't mention him again!

Kujah

HSC
N/A
And the life debt actually came back :) Wormtail's act of mercy killed him - probabaly the only brave thing he's ever done in his life.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
It's one of the few outright LOL moments in the book.
I actually LOLed when Hermione and Ron just suddenly kissed :)

the last laugh
HSC
I'd rather Hagrid than Remus or Tonks... as much as Harry etc love him he's always irritated me :p

<333 for Lupin. But he was extremely hmm, how can I put it - wtf - in this book... and I found it really weird how Harry said (or thought?) "Parents should not leave their children". I mean yeah okay, but it was just a bit... strange for JKR to put it like that?

Also, for some reason as soon as I read that Remus and Tonks had been killed, I automatically thought that Remus had died first and then Tonks went on to avenge him, and was killed in the process. I don't know why haha but it always seems to be her hurrying after him to make sure he's okay.

Beccy - I haven't read some of the more disturbing pairings (Hagrid/Dobby, for example), but some of the things people come up with are just soooo wrong hahaha... especially the Weasley incest ones. Lovely.

xx__savannah

HSC
Malfoy said:
I think so too. JKR's always seemed pretty attached to Hagrid, for whatever reason.

Plus it looks more justifiable if you kill Remus - he seemed kind of OOC (out of character) in this book compared to previous ones, and he didn't come out looking at all sympathetic.

To kill Tonks too, when they'd just had the kid, was almost excessive cruelty, in my opinion (despite the fact I don't really care for either Tonks or Lupin) - it's like deja vu, another orphaned little kid just like Harry.

Hagrid was Harry's first introduction to the Wizarding world, so maybe that's why she felt she just couldn't? Or maybe it was because so many people assumed it would be him (apparently he was the 'red' alchemical death or something predicted. The black and white deaths were correct, red's next in order apparently.)

As soon as Tonks ran off I began wondering whether they could kill Harry -- something I have anticipated ever since first reading HP -- after that. Sure Teddy had Dromeda (haha, didn't that nickname and her haughty appearance kill a few fanfic guesses) but yeah, overkill and cruel to have both parents and godfather die.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Rufus Scrimgeour does something nice for once when he doesn't reveal the location of Harry.

Libbster

HSC
oh yeah forgot about kreacher leading the army of house elves, but i wanted to know what he was doing when they were away lol

i think another reading is in order!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)