HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - thoughts (SPOILERS!!) (2 Viewers)

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
Just finished reading it. Excellent book imo. I'm sufferring from a Harry Potter anti-climax now.... :( soon, shall come the deep, deep withdrawal symtoms that occur whenever i finish a book...

My friend inadvertantly and unknowingly spoiled the book for me. :mad1: well, not the whole book, but a section of it. coz the spoiler that she told was actually true, but she was just trying to tease me coz she thought it wasnt true, but it was actually true and i am going to murder her 10 times over. murder. her.

oh, i feel so sorry for snape now. :(

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
I loved it! I thought it was impossible to fit the whole finding Horcruxes, wedding, killing Voldy and all that into a book less than OoTP but it came off pretty well. I really liked this one because it was like OoTP with lots of little bits all joined together. I was shocked at how many deaths there were but I wasn't that sad about it. I was happy the trio survived and yes I suppose happy at the cheesy ending. I suppose its ironic that we find it strange when they're living a "normal" life!

I'm glad Kreacher and Snape redeemed themselves along with the Malfoys... a bit. I started to like Kreacher there but he seemed to disappear when they fled Grimmauld Place. I think thats what I didn't like about it: how the Trio would have to flee from somewhere and we wouldn't know what happened to the other people.

Overall, excellent! Best one in the series!

p.s. my username on HPANA forums is _Eternity so say hi to me if you go on there because i'll probably post a little bit when they open them up again!

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Malfoy said:
Severus and Draco alive and good.
No, no, no! That'd be too wishy-washy. The epilogue wasn't anything spectacular, but by having both Malfoy and Snape cross back over to the light side and joining Harry, it'd be too much like every other story like this where the bad guys have a change of heart and start helping the heroes out. I liked how Draco remained relatively ambiguous in terms of morality, but when you really think about it, Snape was the same. Sure, he loved Lily and took action against Voldemort because he targeted her, but he also had a lot of anger aimed at Harry's side. His disliked James for obvious reasons, but he also held a lot of animosity not only towards Lily for abandoning him, but also towards himself for letting her go. You claim all Slytherins are one-dimensional villains, but Snape proves that ambition isn't simply about usurping control and gaining power for his ownself. I think Snape was motivated by his own intentions and pleged alleigance to whichever side offered the most benefits. I don't think he was about to have a change of heart when Voldemort murdered him; he wasn't about to sacrifice himself to kill Nagini or whatever. He may have been planning to, but I think he was in some ways betrayed by Dubledore who didn't reveal the nature of his wand to Snape.

I also liked how Dumbledore was given a darker side. I never truly liked his character the way I liked the rest of the cast, largely because he was always the person with the answers. While I wasn't big on the Ariana subplot, I did like how Dumbledore was involved with Grindelwald. Both Snape and Dumbledore fall into a very rare kind of character: the Game Theorist. It might not be apparent, but both of them viewed everything they did as a series of strategic moves and counter-moves that were not only determined by what the other side did, but influenced the choices available to the Dark Wizards depending on the success or failure of whatever it was Snape or Dumbledore did.

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
Yeah the information on character's history was another interesting part that I wasn't expecting. Both of their pasts revealed a lot which was excellent.

Malfoy: You're not a bitter D/Hr shipper are you? You know you loved the book haha

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
I may have (ie, probably) overlooked something, but why did Mcgonagall and the other teachers continue teaching at Hogwarts when Snape became Headmaster? I mean, I know it would've been dangerous of her not to, but I'd have thought she definitely wouldn't have agreed to it. And didn't she say last year that Dumbledore's murder at the hands of one of his own teachers was a stain on Hogwart's history etc etc?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Re: How was your school day?

Finished reading HP!

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
someone explain snape's past to me. it's the only bit which actually is intruiging me somewhat and making me consider actually reading the book.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I thought the last ep was pretty dark, especially how the Dark Side completely controlled the Ministry. It was pretty sad seeing Lupin and Tonks die, but who wouldn't want Harry as a godfather :D <3<3<3 Snape. He was good all along :eek: By the reading the book, we learn that he's pretty brave and courageous.

The epilogue was pretty okay, particularly with the names of the children. I guess the HP series ends now doesnt it? :(

the last laugh
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
someone explain snape's past to me. it's the only bit which actually is intruiging me somewhat and making me consider actually reading the book.
Read the book. That bit's worth it.

And yeah Beccy - I was so upset about Fred :( Also my favourite Weasley. I thought it was a bit sudden when Percy came back though, and when he did I was expecting HIM to die in the battle

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
Malfoy said:
Um, no, you imbecile. I hated the book and I've stated as such in multiple threads. Anything with an epilogue that cliched should be... well, it goes against just about all of the rules of good writing, in my opinion.

I'm actually a Draco/Severus shipper, for what it's worth, and while I do read some Draco/Hermione I prefer Severus/Hermione. But I variously ship nearly all Slytherins in some form, I'm unrepentantly a Slytherin fangirl and think Gryffindor is vastly overrated.

Now as for the book, you only need to visit the LiveJournal community its_a_fake to find out a lot of people don't like this book, for various reasons (a lot of which I share). Are you going to call them all 'bitter D/Hr shippers too? I think not.

Disliking a book based on its perceived literary flaws, aside from my own Slytherin bias, is valid, whether or not you or anyone else thinks the sun shines out of JKR's behind and that whatever she produces is immediately good and worthy and flawless.
Wow! Relax! I'm sorry that you took my joke as a personal attack on your ability to make judgements! I appreciate that you explained in more detail about your opinion but still there was no need for the insult. Ah well no room for juvenile flame wars when theres Harry Potter to talk about!

bubz said:
I may have (ie, probably) overlooked something, but why did Mcgonagall and the other teachers continue teaching at Hogwarts when Snape became Headmaster? I mean, I know it would've been dangerous of her not to, but I'd have thought she definitely wouldn't have agreed to it. And didn't she say last year that Dumbledore's murder at the hands of one of his own teachers was a stain on Hogwart's history etc etc?
I would say that they're doing that whole "stay there for the children" thing. I mean it was bad enough without Dumbledore for them but with Snape as Headmaster it may have become morally impossible to leave. I wouldn't have thought the teachers would have had much say in the appointment of a new Headmaster because the Ministry was leaning so heavily on Hogwarts. I'm not sure about it but thats just another mystery we can ponder on I suppose.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
<3 Snape. I guess now I understand why Snape was furious in the HBP when Dumbledore said "Severus...please"

xx__savannah

HSC
Malfoy said:
Oh, something else that was a huge plot hole - fake Parseltongue? Yeah right. You think that in all the years the Chamber has been there, no one's thought to go for fake Parseltongue? It doesn't make sense.
I guess the only way to explain around it would be to argue that how many people have heard Parseltongue in order to attempt copying it. I mean, it is a language after all.

the last laugh
HSC
Oh yeah - the fake parseltongue thing was pretty pathetic.

And I guess the twin thing is true... JKR is just sadistic and likes killing off characters I love. I was actually a bit disappointed that she didn't kill either Ron or Hermione though - I'd been expecting her to all these years!

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
Yeah the Parseltongue thing was a bit hard to believe. Maybe because it was Ron... But if someone did learn to speak "fake" Parseltongue what were the chances that they would know to go to that girls bathroom and command the Chamber to open?

the last laugh
HSC
I vaguely remember reading that, but I can't remember where it was... maybe he did it out of panic? :p I dunno haha

Hmm I forgot what I was going to say... rah

OH - again, I might've missed it, but didn't JKR say that there was something immensely important about Harry and Lily's eyes, and that she'd mention it in this book?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
All I can remember about the "green eyes" was that Harry's green eyes looked upon Snape for the last time when he died, and Albus Severus has green eyes :confused:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Funny seeing Crabbe and Goyle not following Malfoy's orders for once.

xx__savannah

HSC
A lot of what JK said would be in the book must have been edited out.

What Dudley saw/felt with the Dementors. (Hafta say was a good gesture by him, seemed like it didn't fit in right though).
The person who does Magic late in life
The importance of Lily's eyes.

At least we got more of DD's life and family and some of Lily's ('Tuney') and Harry's i.e. Peverell.

Fanfics were right so often it was scary.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Poor Teddy Remus Lupin :( He has no parents :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)