Good Universities Guide 2011 (1 Viewer)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
^ Haha, agreed - ask Shadowdude.

In all honesty, it's not all that helpful since it's just based on other people's opinions. You should base your decision on financing, location, convenience and the possible career outlook from that university (e.g. if the university has connections to other businesses).

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
haha how did i know the posts in this thread were gonna mention Shadowdude =P

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
shadowdude is the pope of the good universities guide religion

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
I think it's good in terms of having an evaluation of all the universities. Of course most of the information is secondary data, and thus must be taken with hesitation. However, it is a good thing to have a casual flick through while you're still thinking about everything.

Mostly the university you choose, should be personal. It depends on the degree YOU want, the reputation for the degree, the travelling that is needed for YOU, location in terms of where YOU live, (do YOU require accommodation?), YOUR personal preferences (do YOU like the look of Sydney over UTS?), do YOU have friends doing a similar degree? So overall, it's really up to YOU.

n_n Good Luck with your decisions. I myself hate making decisions, so this is going to be quite the difficult year for me.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Start posting guys! Lets see after how many posts that Shadowdude replies.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Use it as an extra thing to consider. Especially its ratings. I found that all universities try to hype themselves up and the Good Uni Guide, via its neat star ratings (formed by Government or Graduate data) allowed some nice comparisons.

If you want, just contact me and I'll tell you what it says. I have a copy with me. Besides, that's what this forum is for anyway!

muzeikchun852

HSC
Use it as an extra thing to consider. Especially its ratings. I found that all universities try to hype themselves up and the Good Uni Guide, via its neat star ratings (formed by Government or Graduate data) allowed some nice comparisons.

If you want, just contact me and I'll tell you what it says. I have a copy with me. Besides, that's what this forum is for anyway!
okay. could you post up a comparison of table of all the public universities in sydney in general and in terms of facilities ?

thank you in advanced :]

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Name the universities and I'll do it. You also have to rep me =P

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Okay then... so in general.

* - the tougher to get in, the higher the stars

Macquarie (North Ryde)
Status and standing (student demand, research grants, non-gov earnings) - 4.25 stars
Education (teaching quality, satisfaction, staff/student ratios, staff qualifications) - 2 stars
Graduate Outcomes (job success, starting salary) - 2.33 stars
Getting In (toughness*, entry flexibility) - 4.5 stars
People (Indigenous participation, access by equity groups, int'l enrolments, cultural diversity, gender balance) - 3.6 stars
Cost of Living - 1 star (very expensive)
Academic Services - 5 stars
Life Support - 5 stars
Electronic Support - 5 stars
Average Rating: 3.63 stars

UNSW (Kensington)
Status and standing (student demand, research grants, non-gov earnings) - 4.75 stars
Education (teaching quality, satisfaction, staff/student ratios, staff qualifications) - 4.4 stars
Graduate Outcomes (job success, starting salary) - 4.67 stars
Getting In (toughness, entry flexibility) - 3.5 stars
People (Indigenous participation, access by equity groups, int'l enrolments, cultural diversity, gender balance) - 3.4 stars
Life Support - 5 stars
Average Rating: 4.08 stars

Sydney (Camperdown/Darlington)
Status and standing (student demand, research grants, non-gov earnings) - 4.75 stars
Education (teaching quality, satisfaction, staff/student ratios, staff qualifications) - 2.4 stars
Graduate Outcomes (job success, starting salary) - 3.33 stars
Getting In (toughness, entry flexibility) - 3 stars
People (Indigenous participation, access by equity groups, int'l enrolments, cultural diversity, gender balance) - 4 stars
Life Support - 5 stars
Average Rating: 3.72 stars

So based on generalities across the whole university: Macquarie < Sydney < UNSW.

It'd probably be better and more useful if you specified specific learning areas.

nathanf

HSC
Can you (Shadow) give me information on the area's of Political Science, Asia-Pacific or East-Asian studies, Japanese Studies/Language Studies and International Relations/Studies at those three universities please.

+rep and my heart will belong to you.

Last edited:

muzeikchun852

HSC
Okay then... so in general.

* - the tougher to get in, the higher the stars

Macquarie (North Ryde)
Status and standing (student demand, research grants, non-gov earnings) - 4.25 stars
Education (teaching quality, satisfaction, staff/student ratios, staff qualifications) - 2 stars
Graduate Outcomes (job success, starting salary) - 2.33 stars
Getting In (toughness*, entry flexibility) - 4.5 stars
People (Indigenous participation, access by equity groups, int'l enrolments, cultural diversity, gender balance) - 3.6 stars
Life Support - 5 stars
Average Rating: 3.63 stars

UNSW (Kensington)
Education (teaching quality, satisfaction, staff/student ratios, staff qualifications) - 4.4 stars
Graduate Outcomes (job success, starting salary) - 4.67 stars
Getting In (toughness, entry flexibility) - 3.5 stars
People (Indigenous participation, access by equity groups, int'l enrolments, cultural diversity, gender balance) - 3.4 stars
Life Support - 5 stars
Average Rating: 4.08 stars

Sydney (Camperdown/Darlington)
Education (teaching quality, satisfaction, staff/student ratios, staff qualifications) - 2.4 stars
Graduate Outcomes (job success, starting salary) - 3.33 stars
Getting In (toughness, entry flexibility) - 3 stars
People (Indigenous participation, access by equity groups, int'l enrolments, cultural diversity, gender balance) - 4 stars
Life Support - 5 stars
Average Rating: 3.72 stars

So based on generalities across the whole university: Macquarie < Sydney < UNSW.

It'd probably be better and more useful if you specified specific learning areas.
okay. how about commerce / language / enginnering / maths & stats ?

and i rep-ed you :]

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Can you (Shadow) give me information on the area's of Political Science, Asia-Pacific or East-Asian studies, Japanese Studies/Language Studies and International Relations/Studies at those three universities please.

+rep and my heart will belong to you.
"Humanities and social sciences" encompass Political Science, Asian studies, Japanese studies and Int'l studies. For reference in the Good Uni Guide.

Macquarie has no graduate data but has an average graduate salary. Otherwise, Sydney and UNSW are 'average' based on graduates, though UNSW graduates get better salaries and success in getting a job.

For languages, same deal as above - with no graduate data for Macquarie. However, UNSW graduates get better salaries only. Everything else is on par, average teaching quality, average success in getting a job.

okay. how about commerce / language / enginnering / maths & stats ?

and i rep-ed you :]
Languages, see above.

Engineering has no Macquarie data at all. UNSW is better than Sydney, as UNSW graduates have 'better' satisfaction, Sydney has only 'average'. Also Sydney graduates are 'worse' (comparatively to others) in getting a job, UNSW is average. Everything else is essentially the same - considering that the GUG uses only 'Worse', 'Average' or 'Better'.

Mathematics has no Macquarie data at all. UNSW is better than Sydney, as Sydney graduates say teaching quality, skills taught and satisfaction is Worse across the board. Meanwhile, UNSW only has skills taught as 'Worse'. UNSW graduates are 'Better' at getting a job (compared to Sydney's average) but the graduate salary for UNSW is 'Worse' compared to Sydney's "Better".

Commerce or Business has no Macquarie data except a 'Better' starting salary. UNSW and Sydney are on par with graduate satisfaction and all that, while UNSW graduates are better off getting a job compared to Sydney's average. Starting salaries for both universities are 'better'.

muzeikchun852

HSC
"Humanities and social sciences" encompass Political Science, Asian studies, Japanese studies and Int'l studies. For reference in the Good Uni Guide.

Macquarie has no graduate data but has an average graduate salary. Otherwise, Sydney and UNSW are 'average' based on graduates, though UNSW graduates get better salaries and success in getting a job.

For languages, same deal as above - with no graduate data for Macquarie. However, UNSW graduates get better salaries only. Everything else is on par, average teaching quality, average success in getting a job.

Languages, see above.

Engineering has no Macquarie data at all. UNSW is better than Sydney, as UNSW graduates have 'better' satisfaction, Sydney has only 'average'. Also Sydney graduates are 'worse' (comparatively to others) in getting a job, UNSW is average. Everything else is essentially the same - considering that the GUG uses only 'Worse', 'Average' or 'Better'.

Mathematics has no Macquarie data at all. UNSW is better than Sydney, as Sydney graduates say teaching quality, skills taught and satisfaction is Worse across the board. Meanwhile, UNSW only has skills taught as 'Worse'. UNSW graduates are 'Better' at getting a job (compared to Sydney's average) but the graduate salary for UNSW is 'Worse' compared to Sydney's "Better".

Commerce or Business has no Macquarie data except a 'Better' starting salary. UNSW and Sydney are on par with graduate satisfaction and all that, while UNSW graduates are better off getting a job compared to Sydney's average. Starting salaries for both universities are 'better'.
thank you thank you. One more question: what's the benefit of doing BSci (adv maths)/BCom ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)