General Thoughts: Science (1 Viewer)

hayabusaboston

HSC
does anyone have any idea what they think will be cutoff mark for band 6?
and dont want any smartass answers (e.g. 90+ = band 6 because we all know there is scaling/aligning involved)

:D
I didn't know SC has scaling and aligning, but I think it's fair to say that 90 and above raw mark will definitely get a band 6.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of raw mark, I think the cut-off for a band 6 would be between 82 to 87 in my opinion...

such_such

HSC
for the one about the water on earth's surface and in the atmosphere, I had no idea what it was so I just wrote "wet".~ what was that one?
LOL. It was Hydrosphere. Bleh, I got it wrong, I thought 'Bio' meant water at that time 8(

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
LOL. It was Hydrosphere. Bleh, I got it wrong, I thought 'Bio' meant water at that time 8(
Yeah it's Hydrosphere!
For the cycle question, I wrote Oxygen Cycle instead of carbon Cycle =="
And for the force question, I didn't recall W = mg D: I wrote velocity instead of weight xD

jasonz1c

HSC
N/A
I also answered the balloon question with the Big Bang Theory.

Mostly everyone in my grade left the examination room 15 minutes early.

Only I and a few others stayed to finish.

Do all of you guys finish the year off a week earlier then the rest of your school?

CrackerMo

HSC
N/A
Isn't it called the Carbon-Oxygen Cycle? Not sure if just Carbon Cycle or Oxygen Cycle is correct...

zombies

HSC

Do all of you guys finish the year off a week earlier then the rest of your school?
Lucky! At my school we weren't allowed to leave early, I spend 40mins sitting there in complete boredom, took a nap at one point lol. As for finishing earlier.. at my school we don't. At a private school though, so we generally finish earlier than public schools anyway I guess.

Blurgh

HSC

Nope, we're still yet to do our yearlies.

such_such

HSC
Isn't it called the Carbon-Oxygen Cycle? Not sure if just Carbon Cycle or Oxygen Cycle is correct...
I think technically it's meant to the the Carbon-Oxygen Cycle but since it can't fit, I guess it could be both.

premskies

HSC
yep the balloon answer was the expanding universe theory :(

Lina3

HSC
Sorry...can someone please explain how it's the expanding universe theory?? They were saying the teacher demonstrated a theory about the origin of the universe, while the expanding theory is a theory about the future of the universe, not about how it originated.

Edit: yesss it IS the big bang! http://scienceclass.ning.com/profiles/blogs/1677792:BlogPost:3584 The expanding thing is right but it's not the origin of it.

Last edited:

premskies

HSC
actually dont worry about what i said, i am wrong sorry.
95% sure its big bang theory :) was there writing with it that mentioned the origin of the universe?

hayabusaboston

HSC
Sorry...can someone please explain how it's the expanding universe theory?? They were saying the teacher demonstrated a theory about the origin of the universe, while the expanding theory is a theory about the future of the universe, not about how it originated.
The inflationary model of the big bang suggests that the origin of the universe was at a singularity before an "inflationary" period in which it expanded like a balloon. Inflationary is a better term than expansion, because it suggests a greater specificity of expansion, in a physically similar way to an inflating object, while expansion isn't as specific. But all in all I have almost no doubts that you will get a mark for red shift, big bang theory, inflationary model, but NOT simply "THe expanding universe theory"

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

I hope they accept Steady State Theory or I will cry a river!

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Oh my ! Someone with the same mind as me !
I want to kill myself, i mean i must've overcome a split personality to think that "Bio" meant "hydro" !
What's worse is that i was fully confident until they collected the papers and i realised, i wrote "BIO" instead of "HYDRO"
UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !

for the one about the water on earth's surface and in the atmosphere, I had no idea what it was so I just wrote "wet".~ what was that one?
You just made my day ! AHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

I thought the nail one was the test tube with water and oil?
haha, that's so cute, but oil galvanises the water + nail, so it would rust, but not the most.
Either way i got that question wrong, i put water + nail *DOOM*

Anyway, ALL OF US made a bunch of silly mistakes that we want to slit wrists for .. but what's done is done. *slits wrists*

hayabusaboston

HSC
I hope they accept Steady State Theory or I will cry a river!
Wow, that is a very interesting answer actually. Sorry I dont think they'll accept that though, steady state theory refers to continuous creation of matter, the balloon expansion analogy was created as an association to the original expansion of the universe, which most call the big bang theory.

hayabusaboston

HSC
Can I also say, I am thoroughly impressed by the efficiency of the moderators. You guys are very good at moderating, hence your title, "Moderator"

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
wow, that is a very interesting answer actually. Sorry i dont think they'll accept that though, steady state theory refers to continuous creation of matter, the balloon expansion analogy was created as an association to the original expansion of the universe, which most call the big bang theory.
nooo!!! I want to believe!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)