General Thoughts: Mathematics Extension 2 (1 Viewer)

gloria1024

HSC
Re: What did you think?

Yeah, this year was very hard. i only did the inducation in questioin 8.Anyone did the probability. i skiped it.and For question 5 ,what does the model predict that eventual poplulation will be?? what the hell is that.. i calculated my marks, if i can get 70%. I will be pretty surprised.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

kiradeng said:
sigh, i find it really hard...hope to get 60%
i doubt that trials are always harder than hsc
plus, i think this paper must be set by some crazy asians,eg, chinese
top in the state last year for mx2 was white. Asians don't necessarily dominate maths.

Zara90

HSC

i cant believe how left field that was! i was aiming for 70% but now!? be lucky if i pass...spoke to my teacher afterwards and he agreed..they didnt test much on the ext 2 syllabus and the topics i studied the most weren't even there! how weird was question 4?? oh well...its over now... 4 to go :)

hked

HSC

gloria1024 said:
Yeah, this year was very hard. i only did the inducation in questioin 8.Anyone did the probability. i skiped it.and For question 5 ,what does the model predict that eventual poplulation will be?? what the hell is that.. i calculated my marks, if i can get 70%. I will be pretty surprised.
i.e. as t approaches infinity ... if u didnt know how it worked, then all u had to do was sub a huge number into t, and plug it all into the calculator

jaja112

Disco King
HSC

nsanchez01 said:
what band does everyone think raw mark 83/120 would get ?
If the average is around 61, say, and the standard deviation is 18 your Z-Score will be 1.2 which indicates you'll be at least in the top 15%, hence, E4 (since top 30% get E4)

veesbanh

HSC

lyounamu said:
top in the state last year for mx2 was white. Asians don't necessarily dominate maths.
it's true.. I go to school with that guy and he was in year 11 last year..

nsanchez01

HSC

jaja112 said:
If the average is around 61, say, and the standard deviation is 18 your Z-Score will be 1.2 which indicates you'll be at least in the top 15%, hence, E4 (since top 30% get E4)
ooo thankyou !!
how do you know all that ? hahaha genius.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC

midifile said:
I think I got 1:2:6

=S
Congrat! It's the one I should have written! I worked out everything but then wrote down 1:2:1. WTH? :(( Do they still give me mark if I've done everything right but put the final answer wrong?

proringz

HSC

cccclaire said:
i hated the 2 4-mark intergration questions. I didn't get them at first, then went back at the end and got them

How did you do

1/x(2x-1)^1/2 though?
let u^2 = 2x -1
then cancel the 'u' and it becomes a standard tan inverse
friction said:
I got 1:4:2 i think
yeah same

mick135

HSC

AmurondSwiftbow said:
Lol, only answered about 30 - 40% of the exam.

I just didn't really know what I was doing today and got showed up big time D:
im pretty sure we all did about that
i answered most parts - but made up most of those parts i answered.
so if its a 3 mark question, hopefully 2 marks for working :)

that binomial/coefficent notation crap - GO DIE IN A WHOLE!

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC

Possibly they'll give 1/2 marks this year? (Please, please, please)

Noxi10

HSC

Given everyones displeasure thus far, any1 got any ideas on what a raw of 40-45 will get after scaling? in the 50's 60's or 70's?
No1 in my school liked it at all :(

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC

So far, none of the HSC papers I've done is considered 'hard'. They can be, to some extent, much easier than previous years. However, I should say this year papers are VERY ODD!

leisl1990

HSC

danfloyd11 said:
Q6 and 8 were hard as. Btw does anyone know what "the physical significance of b" really was?
i think its the speed of the current?
cos it looks like a exponential growth n decay question

Propadanda

HSC
N/A

I thought the test wasn't that hard...I mean there were the harder looking questions in there, but overall I actually thought it was quite easy (not that I'll be one of those people that gets like 110/120) I'm hoping for an 85/120+ raw mark.

The integration was pretty weird...that has to be the first time in the last 4-5 years where they haven't been like "Use u = xsin" etc. or where they tell you to use IBP. Going over past papers, the trend seemed to be that those were a given, but I guess not.

Q1-4 were great, question 1 was probably the worst out of those. Question 4 with the radius of the wheels and areas and stuff was sweet, and most of the conics were pretty straightforward. After that I went downhill though...didn't even try some of question 8 (the area of that weird shape thing) and part c of question 6 too. Hopefully I don't lose over 40 marks all up...I hope.

But yeah there's no way I thought that was the hardest paper since the 90's...wtf. The 2001 paper or whatever has like "Prove e is irrational" and all that shit. Question 8 in this was like SHM and differentiation, although I did run out of time to do that question.

But eh, if I get over 70% raw that would be pretty cool...unlikely though.

Even my maths teacher said afterwards that it was a fairly easy paper, so going on everyone's reactions I hope I go alright.

Maybe my expectations weren't as high as everyone else's though...ha. I just didn't get that feeling walking out of "Man I fucked that, I hope I pass" I was like "Yeah that was actually kinda ok".

Last edited:

ankit.t91

HSC

how do u guys think the raw marks will scale?

Noxi10

HSC

Taking into account the current consensus, this paper was hard. To put it blunt, someone with some knowledge could they help us all out. What kinda scaled marks to ppl think will come from these raw marks?

30-39?
40-49?
50-59?
60-69?
70-79?
80-89?
90 +

PLease someone who knows simplify it down n just spit it out. Would be much appreciated for those of us who aren't sure.

Last edited:

sakaki.kun

HSC

well this year's was ok i guess, wasn't too hard but wasn't easy either. i think i got around 85/120

AmurondSwiftbow

HSC

Noxi10 said:
Taking into account the current consensus, this paper was hard. To put it blunt, someone with some knowledge could they help us all out. What kinda scaled marks to ppl think will come from these raw marks?

40-49?
50-59?
60-69?
70-79?
80-89?
90 +

PLease someone who knows simplify it down n just spit it out. Would be much appreciated for those of us who aren't sure.
Dont forget 30 - 39 for us retards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)