General Thoughts - Biology (1 Viewer)

hamzie

HSC
someone said agar plates...
umm...but could all pathogens, like virus, grow in culture?
-----------------------
viral pathogens cant be detected via agar plate or microscope

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
hamzie said:
someone said agar plates...
umm...but could all pathogens, like virus, grow in culture?
-----------------------
viral pathogens cant be detected via agar plate or microscope
virus- no. they need to be inside a host.

actually i dont know... im confused. all i know is i did microscopes...
i should of put a 'VERY VERY STRONG' microscope.

hamzie

HSC
adnan91 said:
How do u exactly suppose to look at water underneath a microscope--wont work
explain
same as you would view blood

Lordie

HSC
Oh, the changing chemical structure of the blood question. What substances are removed from the brain? I said the oxygen level is less after passing through the brain, however what is removed, ie, what does the blood's chemical form change to whilst going through the brain?

HSC
Re: how did you go?

Tarshy said:
What did yous put for for the Wallace/ Darwin Question?

i said that divergent evolution occurred coz the bilby and rabbit probably evolved from a common ancestor but they mustve adapted to various environmental conditions (i.e. hot arid areas) where large ears can allow heat exchange and vascularisation or sumthin... :p

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
Lordie said:
Oh, the changing chemical structure of the blood question. What substances are removed from the brain? I said the oxygen level is less after passing through the brain, however what is removed, ie, what does the blood's chemical form change to whilst going through the brain?
i said CO2 is intaken and oxygen is released.

cccclaire

HSC
Lordie said:

I said glucose concentration is high going in and low leaving, which you would contrast to the small intestine which is the opposite.

Lordie

HSC
gloworm14 said:
i said CO2 is intaken and oxygen is released.
I said that as well, I simply said 'waste products', and gave an example of Carbon Dioxide. Not sure what they were looking for specifically..

cccclaire

HSC

procrastinater said:
i said that divergent evolution occurred coz the bilby and rabbit probably evolved from a common ancestor but they mustve adapted to various environmental conditions (i.e. hot arid areas) where large ears can allow heat exchange and vascularisation or sumthin... :p

Oh, I wrote convergent evolution.

adnan91

HSC
cccclaire said:
I said glucose concentration is high going in and low leaving, which you would contrast to the small intestine which is the opposite.
yea i also said sugars and nutrients

frogbutt

Ugliest Member
HSC
cccclaire said:

OH MY GOD i said it the wrong way around! WHY DID I DO THAT?!

gloworm14

HSC
N/A

cccclaire said:
Oh, I wrote convergent evolution.
i wrote convergent too... they were from different continents... from two different species...marsupial?rabbit?
the characteristic of long large ears was most suitable for their similar dry hot environment.
its like the dolphin and the seal, different type of animals, yet they have flippers

dolbinau

HSC
For the intestine I said it gains products of digesting.

HOWEVER. God I hate myself now, I also put each one gained nitrogenous wastes; Is this correct?

Positive Marking hopefully.

I also put convergent evolution.

danz90

HSC
For the phloem diagram labelling

I put Sieve element/plate for the first one
and Parenchyma Cells for the second one. My teacher said that the ones it was pointing to was parenchyma, the ones around the sieve elements were the companion cells.

meh, i think they'll accept both parencyhma or companion cells. similar job anyway.

Katieeee

HSC
dolbinau said:
For the 7 mark communication question:

* Cataracts, Corrective Lens/laser eye surgery, Cochlea/Hearing aids plus an explanation of how it was developed based on our understanding of the eye/sound - is that enough?
That's pretty much what I put... for the sight part I talked about hyperopia/myopia and cataracts and the technologies to correct them, for hearing I did cochlear implant and hearing aids.

I loved the 8 mark one one donated blood, it was straightforward and there were lots of social implications to talk about, e.g. introduction of plasmapheresis allows donors to give blood more often, therefore more blood products available for those who need them, safer procedures encourage people to donate blood, more disease testing increases success of transfusions :)

cccclaire

HSC

gloworm14 said:
i wrote convergent too... they were from different continents... from two different species...marsupial?rabbit?
the characteristic of long large ears was most suitable for their similar dry hot environment.
its like the dolphin and the seal, different type of animals, yet they have flippers
Oh good. I thought I was right lol =].

dolbinau said:
For the intestine I said it gains products of digesting.

HOWEVER. God I hate myself now, I also put each one gained nitrogenous wastes; Is this correct?

Positive Marking hopefully.

I also put convergent evolution.
no thats correct about the nitrogenous waste I think. It's just not really a major point, but it isn't incorrect.

Communist Panda

HSC
Finished an hour early, but spent the next 50 minutes or so checking my answers and missed the oportunity to leave early, but lucky for me I noticed I'd forgotten to label the axis on the graph and managed to fix it. :)
Overall rather happy with this test, since there were no questions about fish and their urine like my dodgy trial.

beckatjas

HSC
Did anyone else mention in regards to the changing chemical compostion about how the blood becomes more acidic as a result of carbon dioxide combining with water to form carbonic acid???

or did i just put in random unnecassary information LOL

oh and also what experiment did you guys do with the agar plates???? coz all we did was contrast microbes in a variety of sources- so i don't really see the relievence to a pathogen killing product???

dolbinau

HSC

cccclaire said:
Oh good. I thought I was right lol =].

no thats correct about the nitrogenous waste I think. It's just not really a major point, but it isn't incorrect.

Ok cool. I of course put the obvious Oxygen/Co2 so hopefully there is enough. And I put it in a table to compare them too so hopefully that is also accepted

*I need to get off this forum It's making me stressed :p*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)