General Thoughts - Biology (2 Viewers)

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
dolbinau said:
fuck. I just realised in the 5 mark question about hormones/water and salt balance I only talked about Aldosterone. Max mark? (Plus Hormone replacement therapy as I thought for 5 marks I had to talk about a lot).
I dont think so, though aldosterone does affect water reabosoption i think ADH was also needed, dw its onlly 1-2 marks

hamzie

HSC
Re: how did you go?

oh boy pretty good paper

just the drawing of the ear and cochlea implant limitation i got eeked by

HSC
i thought it was pretty good, finished like half an hr early. =)
the only thing sucked was that, did anybody do human story for their option?
if u did, did any1 remember the diagram (or if there was one) for the dna hybridisation question? totally did not know wat the hell was that :vcross:
definitely got no mrks out of 3!!! just wrote a random dna structure and wrote the word "primates" on top :cold:
apart from that, everything was such a huge relief! i managed to write alot in each question pretty much....
so i best heaps of ppl finished early =)

dolbinau

HSC
axlenatore said:
I dont think so, though aldosterone does affect water reabosoption i think ADH was also needed, dw its onlly 1-2 marks
Yeah hopefully I can get 3 marks at least.

cccclaire

HSC
Hahaha at the butterfly question. I did DNA fingerprinting, and then realised that it probably wouldn't work. I then wrote all the usual crap about gathering information from secondary sources.

I think my downfall will be the option and the pathogen/water experiment (coz we never actually did the agar plate thing)

Appart from that, a good test.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
cccclaire said:
Hahaha at the butterfly question. I did DNA fingerprinting, and then realised that it probably wouldn't work. I then wrote all the usual crap about gathering information from secondary sources.

I think my downfall will be the option and the pathogen/water experiment (coz we never actually did the agar plate thing)

Appart from that, a good test.
reckon this is right for the butterfly?

First hand investigation - Gene probe with a flurosent tag, which was complementary to the genes for wing size, and i said DNA hybridisation was used to split the double strands and the probe would bond to the gene if it was there. If the gene didnt exist in the parents then it had to be a mutation
then i said just comapre results with that of other scientist from other sources who have performs similar expierments with the same and a different method for reliabilty and validity

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
can you see pathogens under a microscope?
LOL coz thats what i kinda put...
/fail.
omg i didnt even think about using an agar plate.. SO STUPID!!!

Kujah

HSC
N/A
procrastinater said:
i thought it was pretty good, finished like half an hr early. =)
the only thing sucked was that, did anybody do human story for their option?
if u did, did any1 remember the diagram (or if there was one) for the dna hybridisation question? totally did not know wat the hell was that :vcross:
definitely got no mrks out of 3!!! just wrote a random dna structure and wrote the word "primates" on top :cold:
apart from that, everything was such a huge relief! i managed to write alot in each question pretty much....
so i best heaps of ppl finished early =)
Yeah, I was surprised at first but then I just drew diagrams based on the steps. The 7 marker gosh :S

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
someone said agar plates...
umm...but could all pathogens, like virus, grow in culture?

HSC
Re: how did you go?

SherwieKute said:
did anyone get the investigation for treating water with the new product?? i didn't kno wat to dooo...><
if i can remember, i wrote sumthin like this:

equipment:
4 x 500ml measuring cylinders
microscope
4 x slides
stopwatch
plastic wrap

method:
1. fill 500ml of tap water in each measuring cylinder
2. take a sample of water from each cylinder and place them on separate slides.
3. examine the slides under the microscope and record how many pathogens there are.
4. add the product in three of the cylinders, leave the other one as the control
5. conceal the cylinders with plastic wrap on top to prevent any other pathogens from entering.
6. use the stopwatch and wait for ten minutes
7. place samples of water on each slide again and examine under microscope
8. record how many pathogens there are now and compare results with each cylinder
9. repeat the experiment to ensure an accurate experiment

hope that helped! i dont think my experiment was valid enough tho =)

duck.fluff

Usyd BVSc II
HSC
I finished at about 11. Multiple choice was easy! took me 5 minutes!
I did genetics elective, the butterfly question sucked, same as the last one.
How was I meant to write 4 marks worth on one area of research?

dolbinau

HSC
For the 7 mark communication question:

* Cataracts, Corrective Lens/laser eye surgery, Cochlea/Hearing aids plus an explanation of how it was developed based on our understanding of the eye/sound - is that enough?

HSC
dolbinau said:
For the 7 mark communication question:

* Cataracts, Corrective Lens/laser eye surgery, Cochlea/Hearing aids plus an explanation of how it was developed based on our understanding of the eye/sound - is that enough?
i did the same as you for that question... i hope it was enough :eek:

cccclaire

HSC
axlenatore said:
reckon this is right for the butterfly?

First hand investigation - Gene probe with a flurosent tag, which was complementary to the genes for wing size, and i said DNA hybridisation was used to split the double strands and the probe would bond to the gene if it was there. If the gene didnt exist in the parents then it had to be a mutation
then i said just comapre results with that of other scientist from other sources who have performs similar expierments with the same and a different method for reliabilty and validity
The only flaw is that you don't know which genes code for gene size.

I don't know, apparently we were supposed to cross-breed them or something?

I think they'll get a variety of answers though, because the question was quite obscure, and to be honest I don't think theres anything in the syllabus about testing for gene mutations. I think as long as the procedure you explained made sense, and you wrote all that crap about secondary sources you'd do ok =]

adnan91

HSC
hamzie said:
ye i did microscope too
How do u exactly suppose to look at water underneath a microscope--wont work

I put agar plate thingo. Other than that question the paper was sooooo good.

Communication part i did cataracts, myopia and vitamin A and hearing: cochlear implants, amplifiers

Last edited:

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
cccclaire said:
The only flaw is that you don't know which genes code for gene size.

I don't know, apparently we were supposed to cross-breed them or something?

I think they'll get a variety of answers though, because the question was quite obscure, and to be honest I don't think theres anything in the syllabus about testing for gene mutations. I think as long as the procedure you explained made sense, and you wrote all that crap about secondary sources you'd do ok =]
Yer i was thinking about the question, i went through all the syllabus and didnt think cross breeding would work as the only cross breeding in the option invovled linked genes, i know these could have resulted from linked genes though but meh

o7nesss

Behind that Tree
HSC
argh!!!
did anyone else take like 5-10 mins with the multiple choice???
and with the butterflies i was pretty much crossing the small winged and the noremal winged and see weather any of the outcomes were like big winged ones...
i think i did ok...considering i usually get like 50-60% in bio...
ha!!!
im over the hsc now...i only have music and art to gooooo :D

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
i cant believe people finished so early...
i didnt even really have time to even check it... :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)