free laptops? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Although my school is getting them like i said, everyone I know wouldn't even use the laptop in class because it isnt practical and for school things we prefer to write anyway. If I were to write all of my notes on the laptop I would hardly retain anything I'd be so immersed typing. And a laptop in additions to exercise books and folders and textbooks? heavy heavy heavy bag!:eek:

omnipotent

HSC
Although my school is getting them like i said, everyone I know wouldn't even use the laptop in class because it isnt practical and for school things we prefer to write anyway. If I were to write all of my notes on the laptop I would hardly retain anything I'd be so immersed typing. And a laptop in additions to exercise books and folders and textbooks? heavy heavy heavy bag!:eek:
if you have a laptop the only text book you would bring would be your math book, the rest you would have on cd..

Shan4curry

HSC
We received laptops last year but they were stolen. Every single one.
After the first occurrence we received more...they were also stolen. Our school's security must really suck.

LtPhoenix

HSC
I'm pretty sure we wont be getting laptops anytime soon, from what I got told, they will give them to the Year 9 classes, each year and as it carries on in 3 years Year 9-12 will have laptops.

jennieTalia

HSC
I go to a Catholic High School and we get apple laptops in a few weeks as a part of a Wollongong Diocese program. Apparently our principal got a letter from Julia Gillard providing us with additional funds to do so aswell!
I went to a Catholic School and we were just getting ours (I saw them all in their boxes :D) before I left last year!!

LordPc

HSC
channel 9 News today said that the whole laptop plan is due to be completed in 3 years or something. So what pretty much means many of you will be screwed over and not get laptops

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
nahh you should get it middle of this year.. or close to it anyway

edit: you go private though..i dont think you'll get it
I don't want or need one. I have my own and use it every night. It is MY computer. :D which I had to buy myself.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I just want a laptop because even though i have a kickass 2k gaming PC that i built myself it would be awesome to have a compact computer to carry around and browse the net wherever i want..

if my school gave us macbooks i would be in heaven. and they damn well should with the fees we pay..
You would still need to pay for the wireless internet. Personally i would not believe that nay school is going to offer you and pay for your wireless internet connection. You would have to pay for it yourself, which I think is extremely expensive for decent download size (then again, I'm not rich).

fully223

HSC
This is just another Government policy that will never get done.
During campaigns alot of things are promised and most aren't delivered to us.
Rudd said he would upgrade the broadband infansture here. Yet no large funding has been done and is still 2nd rate.
While this laptop thing sounds good, but I'd say by the time they do it we would of finished school. Looks like they would lock them down too, so you will have to do some reinstalling

Also to the people saying they got laptops that go to private schools. They aren't "free" from the government, your parents pay for it through excessive school fees.

I'm just glad they kept the bus pass scheme.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
... everyone I know wouldn't even use the laptop in class because it isnt practical and for school things we prefer to write anyway. If I were to write all of my notes on the laptop I would hardly retain anything I'd be so immersed typing. And a laptop in additions to exercise books and folders and textbooks? heavy heavy heavy bag!:eek:
Personally, I would learn things and remember them more if I typed them rather than hand-wrote them. Also a lot of people would use the laptop instead of exercise books, except for maths. But this is just me, everyone is different.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
From what i heard public school students will each be getting one laptop per student. Private school students will receive nothing; instead private schools will receive money from the government to spend on 'laptops'. Just another government ploy to strengthen private schools and eventually make public schools non-existent- which would mean more money for the government to spend on Rudd's holidaying :)

N

NeoSanity

Personally, I would learn things and remember them more if I typed them rather than hand-wrote them. Also a lot of people would use the laptop instead of exercise books, except for maths. But this is just me, everyone is different.
I agree.

KarenCn

HSC
This is just another Government policy that will never get done.
During campaigns alot of things are promised and most aren't delivered to us.
Rudd said he would upgrade the broadband infansture here. Yet no large funding has been done and is still 2nd rate.
While this laptop thing sounds good, but I'd say by the time they do it we would of finished school. Looks like they would lock them down too, so you will have to do some reinstalling

Also to the people saying they got laptops that go to private schools. They aren't "free" from the government, your parents pay for it through excessive school fees.

I'm just glad they kept the bus pass scheme.

second that

m4ngr0v3

HSC
The NSW DET is supposed to be selecting a supplier this week.

The laptops will probably be worse than the EEE PC because the DET wants to purchase them for $100 less than the EEE PC - unless they get a discount for "bulk".

I heard we were supposed to get them by the end of april.

HSC
i see teachers at my school carrying laptops now.. never happened defore.

we also got a new cabinet of like... 20-40 laptops in the senior block. They're dell. and apparantly "durable" or something.
FULLY connected to the school network. so they're just for class use in class rather than having to go to the computer room or library to use computers.

getting free laptops would be good for english and business studies though. also for other subjects requiring research and essay writing.

Fly Kite

HSC
farout... we dont get anything.
do when do they intend to start/finish this program?

HSC
Guy even if we get them crummy laptops, they will be heavily locked to the department of education. Meaning only accessing " safe and educational" websites and appropriate programs . Plus the actual configuration of the pc would be megaly bad.
So dont get your hopes up ppls, plus with the economic crisis and how the state government is running now, their is a chance that we wont get any.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)