free laptops? (1 Viewer)

HSC
:jaw:whao! What about this 750 rebate??? Apparatly if you buy laptop (for school purposes) you get some of your money back from the government and you collected during tax i think, a friend brought a laptop this month for ~ $1200 and recived $750 back, wtf. Is that right, or is there a catch???:confused:

Last edited:

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Guy even if we get them crummy laptops, they will be heavily locked to the department of education. Meaning only accessing " safe and educational" websites and appropriate programs . Plus the actual configuration of the pc would be megaly bad.
So dont get your hopes up ppls, plus with the economic crisis and how the state government is running now, their is a chance that we wont get any.
This is exactly what I was thinking. The computers that we already have a school block so much out that they are practically useless. You would be so restrained about what you can actually use the laptop. This is without adding in the fact that I dont think the Govt have found a laptop that can last 6hours a day.

Eh I just brought myself a new Dell laptop, I would take a school one even if they offered it.

Guesss

HSC
Well apparently my school of over 1000 students only qualifies for 250 lap tops....wen their coming i have no idea! :(

youngminii

Banned
HSC
:jaw:whao! What about this 750 rebate??? Apparatly if you buy laptop (for school purposes) you get some of your money back from the government and you collected during tax i think, a friend brought a laptop this month for ~ $1200 and recived $750 back, wtf. Is that right, or is there a catch???:confused:
Ye that's right, as long as your family fits the criteria. Pretty much, if you or your family receives youth allowance, then you're allowed a 50% tax refund on any 'educational' expenses up to $1500 (So you get $750 back maximum). The expenses include computer/maintenance costs, internet costs, textbooks etc. Also, your friend's a lying cunt. This was only implemented in the current financial year, so his/her parents wouldn't have been able to get the actual tax refund yet.

fully223

HSC
Fwiw these Laptops arn't really laptops, rather small shity netbooks. Locked down pieces of shit.
LOL yr 9 are getting them at our school. epic fail Rudd.

shady145

Banned
HSC
my school got a letter from the rudd governemnt this week and it said that year 9 will get them so far. i didnt personally read the letter so i dnt know many details, i dnt even know the time when they r coming. but my maths teacher said it is highly likely us yr 12's will miss out.

mrcalkin

Banned
HSC
parents claim it on tax at the end of the financial year, so in ~july

fully223

HSC
Why the fuck do we need laptops... waste of money.
QFT. The HSC is hand written so what is the real point of these so called laptops?
95% of people have internet and computer access at home.

Its a farce.

alan7948

HSC
lol....

has anyone actually received these laptops yet?
if you have how are they?

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lol....

I don't get a free laptop - but from what I read the Public School one's are going to be like those shithouse Asus Eeepcs. Also they'll have a lot of restrictions (inc. inbuilt webfiltering and access).

At my school, students who entered the College in Year 9 get a laptop and this has been going on since last year. They seem pretty good - they're the MacBooks with both Windows XP and Mac OS installed.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't get a free laptop - but from what I read the Public School one's are going to be like those shithouse Asus Eeepcs. Also they'll have a lot of restrictions (inc. inbuilt webfiltering and access).

At my school, students who entered the College in Year 9 get a laptop and this has been going on since last year. They seem pretty good - they're the MacBooks with both Windows XP and Mac OS installed.
No-one needs to wait anyway. Go buy one and then claim most of it back on tax return. You can claim it back because you need it for academic study. A highschool student can claim up to $900 back on their tax stuff (school needs usually)... so just buy one.

HSC
lol....

yesterday the principal said to school that the roll out would
begin in term two and would be finished by term 1 next year
beginning with rural schools etc..

umm those in year 10,11, 12 now don't get to keep the laptops
and must return while every year below (future year 10's)
get to keep theirs..

yy-d

HSC
actually our school's doing the macbooks too and has slowly introduced macs around the place since the year before last.
i think they pushed it back for 2010 tho.
NOOOOOO!!! I want mine before i graduate!! T___T

AimingHigh93

HSC
lol, i was ecstatic when i heard my school was going to get them in august this yr , BUT!!, we were only getting 80 laptops and they were all for yr 9, the govt public schools chose to allocate the yr 9'ers the laptops and will be doing so for the next 5yrs i think it was so this yrs yr 9 will get them yr 8 will get them next yr and so on so on:jaw::vcross::evilfire::shoot:

Weddas

Cooking Up a Storm
HSC
We'll be getting it for two years, then I think we can either pay more money and keep it or we can give it back to the school. I think it's the Macbook becuase that's what the year 7s got. But the downside = SUPER HEAVY BAG :eek:
I have the solution.

Try to get your hands on a Targus Citygear bag.

i dont know how it does it but i have one laptop one massive ringbinder folder
all text books, cd's chargers and there is still more space.

ITS A EATING MACHINE!

plus it feels like your not carrying anything.

so when everyone gets there laptops, dont worry..

Peace

Weddas

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I doubt I will ever get the laptops :p But I am poor enough to get the $900 thing from the government and might buy a desktop computer (because I have a laptop) or I could sell the old laptop :) and get a brand newey!

Miss Code

HSC
year 11 and 12's will not be getting them, year nine do, which is stupid cause the maturity level is like 0.00001, plus they will be crappy anyway. I just opted to going out and getting a $1600 one at christmas :D way better then what the school would give anyway, now they just need wifi!!

Last edited:

grazzaabhs

HSC
at my skewl the yr 9 classes are gettn them...they are apple macs with a 160gb hardrive and carry bag apparently. its suks...the kids will jus be gettn beatn up and rolld afta school....its stupid

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)