[Foreign Student Fourth grade in law] UNSW ou univeristy of sydney ? (1 Viewer)

asthenose

HSC
Hey guys, I'm a foreign student and I've never been in Asutralia, that's why this year (one year) I decided to follow my courses in law in Sydney. Currently I'm going to pass my Licence in law (= 3 years of law studies after the bachelor degree) so I will be in sydney for my fourth grade in law. Two universities are offered to me : UNSW or University of sydney.
I want to enjoy the sydney student life as best as possible, I worked hard to be elligible to those student exchanges so now I wouldn't like to have the same rythm of work as at home (I've been working everyday for an average of more than 10hours a day these last three months...)

So please, could you tell me wich one of these two universities are the best ? What are the advantages or disadvantages of each one ?

Especialy, I want to compare :
- The quality of courses : Do they give understable courses for a foreign student ?
- The level (easy or hard) of courses, how many time do we have to study a week in average ?
- The way teachers examine and score you : Can you bring courses or books during the exams or do we need to know each sentence "by earth" ? Do teachers give good marks easily ? (At home they don't, they consider that 15/20 is the best mark possible and they dont hesitate do score 2/20 or 3/20...)
- The efficiency of the administration (it can't be as awfull as in my univ)
- The sport accomodations provided for students (It's important for me)
- The quality of the student life for foreign student (Is there many cool events organised ?
- The accessibility of the university, how long does it take to reach the university from the center of Sydney ? Can we use bike ?
- The quality of the food in the campus ?

One specific thing, in my city, there is to law universities and people comportment is very different in each of them. In one they are quite self suffisant, alway wear smart clothes and a used to work a lot. In the other one people a more nature, do judge to much one the apparence and more openminded but don't work as much as student in the first one. Can we make such comparaison between students of these two universities of sydney ? Maybe there is a difference of average age ? The ratio girl/men or Australian/foreigners ?

To finish, I would like to take a private accomodation in Sydney, If possible, with a roomate ? What is the best plan to do so and where is the best place to live ?

asthenose

HSC
I'm from France so I think there is an ocean between the ways student life goes in our respective country.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
France... hmm. Do you know what Eurovision is?

(because Sydney University has a Eurovision party)

asthenose

HSC
Yes we hears about it wthin newpapers but we don't do an huge party for this, in reverse we've got each year "la fête de la musique" (music fest) where there are many people playing music in the street and big concerts organised for three days.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Oh okay. But uhh... I thought your song last year wasn't as good as the one they sent in 2008. Sebastian Tellier's song was awesome and everything else after that has been sub-standard (though your song in 2010 was pretty good). /Eurovision rant

Okay anyway...

For Law, they're pretty much the same - UNSW and Sydney. I don't know how hard the courses are, here - it depends on the subjects but people here don't hesitate awarding very high marks (15+/20) if its needed.

Sporting stuff, not sure. Student life is what you make of it - so if you join lots of clubs and get involved, you'll do well.

Accessibility, I'd wager UNSW is more accessible from Sydney itself as it's one bus away. For Sydney I think there is a bus, I'm not sure - but most people I know walk from the station.

But both universities are pretty far from the city centre.

Sydney is a bit more uppity than UNSW, which is more relaxed. There are more foreigners perhaps at UNSW, but... yeah.

And for roommates I suppose roam the internet to find deals. The best place to live is somewhere cheap near campus.

So I'm not that helpful unfortunately but... yeah I felt I had to do something after commenting in your thread. Wait for others to confirm or deny what I've written.

twistedrebel

HSC
Both Unis are same distance from the centre of sydney (20-25min bus ride). UNSW is closer to the beaches etc (so if you want to go that way). Usyd and UNSW are pretty similar, not sure about law but i'd assume there similar. Although sydney aint like european cities with bikes everywhere, there is quite a few bike lanes around and you can bike around sydney

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
How are you going to survive fourth year if you can't spell/ use spellcheck or basic google/"research"..

Don't wanna sound harsh but these stuff is basic in Australia universities..

fakermaker

HSC
How are you going to survive fourth year if you can't spell/ use spellcheck or basic google/"research"..

Chill, it's obviously not his native language.

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
Chill, it's obviously not his native language.
It Law.. not Math, not Chemistry.. Your language, especially English have to be strong to pass fourth year Law..

it not like Master of Accounting where it not really your language but your understanding of accounting crap.. that why you see alot of international who barely speak English doing MOA.

and Law here is different to France Law especially with EU stuff in it... why wouldn't he pick something where there majority of people are French speaker.. e.g Canada, New Caledonia or Switzerland.. it like learning law in America and decided to study law in China..

@OP, Most of the stuff you ask, you can easily google it..

because i'm awesome, i google it for you..

http://www.uniaustralia.com.au/uni-reviews/most-view/20/1/key/

and dont expect easy mark for law.. easy mark = accounting

qev

HSC
N/A

His english is quite good considering it isn't his first language.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
and Law here is different to France Law especially with EU stuff in it...
Must we use American English? Please use "different from" instead.

Also if you need spellcheck, then your spelling can't be very good.

Last edited:

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
okay, I do law at UNSW

USYD takes the traditional approach to teaching where they chuck all 300+ students in a lecture room. UNSW is more interactive. Class sizes are around 40 where you get to discuss things in class, engage in group work, etc. Class Participation for law subjects in UNSW are usually weighted 20%. You are given marks based on how well you complete tasks in class, answer and ask questions as well as engage in group work.

Most students pass Law at UNSW. Getting High Distinctions and Distinctions (i.e. 15+/20) require some work but overall, it isn't hard to get good marks.
at UNSW, we have law peer mentoring which allows students like yourself to seek help from other students when needed. (I think they have something similar at USYD)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)