First Car - $5k (1 Viewer)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Parents Said 5k.

Im thinking a 98 mirage.
or something similier
I want a modern-esc look.

The mirage i saw on car sales has 165 000, body kit, spoiler, system, mags.

Pretty sweet.

What do you guys think would be a sweet first car, for around 5k.

jessyy

HSC
Re: First Car

get something practical and nice, dont get a car thats already done up, you will encounter many endless problems.
if you plan on having a modified car, do it yourself and do it right. you dont know what dodgy jobs others may have done to their cars. :)

i just sold my motorbike for 4k and am about to sell my car as i want to import a skyline now :)
i love imports haha

michael1990

HSC
Get something, newish. say >98. And with low KMs <100 000.

And something that is cheap on parts.
and you would be set.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

Roguedeth said:
I got a 07 corolla brand new.
michael1990 said:
Get something, newish. say >98. And with low KMs <100 000.
And something that is cheap on parts.
and you would be set.
For under $5000?

Probably best car for the money is a camry. A body kit, spoiler and mags on your small car is really gay.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC

i wouldnt bother with the flash stuff, it sounds cool when you are young but later you realize it just makes you look like a dickhead, you get pulled over more often and other road users treat you shitty [especially if you are on your P's]

Just get a nice normal, cheap on petrol, practical car. Something like a camry would be good, check the KMs, try and be less than 200,000. Girl drivers are preferable over males, check the engine bay, make sure its clean, look for rust, check battery life , look for previous damage that has been fixed etc etc.

Private sellers are probably the way to go if you want to get it for cheap.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC

Fuckoff lady drivers are better.

I dont wanna spend 5k on a car thats been pulling hit n runs since it left the dealership.

jessyy

HSC

Azamakumar said:
Fuckoff lady drivers are better.

your joking right? women are just as capable if not better drivers. we also dont have massive ego's, and are less likely to thrash a car just to look cool in front of our mates.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

sunjet said:
try an older VW or civic
I contimplated a 99 BMW for 9k

looked nice.

Parents said no, parts are expensive

shakky15

HSC

Yeh stay away from european cars (VW, BMW, Merc, Renault/citroen/peugeot etc etc) coz theyr great when new... but for $5000 your gonna get one thats not in great condition - and parts and servicing are expensive, also check that they run on regular 91octane ULP (unleaded) (some european cars need premium unleaded which can cost a lot)...
Stay away from 6 cylinder cars they cost heaps on fuel
I think u better stay away from camrys too- theyr so ugly and bland.... yes theyr reliable but there ARE better looking cars that are just as reliable...
Also, mirages aren't the safest cars, try and get something just a tad bigger.. forget hyundais and kia's - theyre unreliable and unsafe and many havent even got air con and power steering!
Dont buy a car thats done up; if u want it to be modified do it yourself so u know what your changing
My suggestion? Try a Nissan Pulsar - they look ok and are really reliable. Otherwise a Mazda 323 might be worth a look. These cars are pretty expensive for their years, but they are usually low kms which is more important, and they are more reliable and safer.

Hope this helps :)

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC

parts&servicing are not expensive you just need to know where to get it from.

european cars are so much more fun as well.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC

Honda's are pretty expensive for parts. And nissans run up huge labour charges for major engine work.

Europeans are probably the best option. I've never had a problem with 2 VW's.

Pace_T

HSC

risole91 said:
I contimplated a 99 BMW for 9k

looked nice.

Parents said no, parts are expensive
yea ur a young guy i dont think you can afford many huge costs coming out of nowhere. thats what happens when you get a bmw. things stuff up and it costs twice as much to get the parts.

michael1990

HSC

Pace_T said:
yea ur a young guy i dont think you can afford many huge costs coming out of nowhere. thats what happens when you get a bmw. things stuff up and it costs twice as much to get the parts.
Quite agreed...

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Look for Jap cars, around mid 90's.

Toyota and Mazda's are the cheap reliable cars for the low end price market. With low kms (around 200k), if you treat them well and service them, they should last you quite a while.

I have a friend who has a 92 Corolla with 290,000 on it and it runs fine, he hasn't had any major repair bills, and has had it for 3 years now.

I've had my 1994 323 Astina for 6 years now, and doesn't even look like having problems. Yeah, can be bit pricey on parts, but once again comes down to how well you treat it.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC

aMUSEd1977 said:
Mirage is fail.
you're fail.

Graney said:
For under $5000?
Probably best car for the money is a camry. A body kit, spoiler and mags on your small car is really gay.
Don't buy an old camry. It will drink too much. Not that much, but if you have a budget of 5k I assume you don't want to put 80 - 100 bucks of fuel in a week. But he's right on the second part. Don't rice it (too much :eek:)

Make sure you get the car inspected (unless you're a mechanic). Sure you might be like "lol i no about da carz" but you'll probably miss SOMETHING.

Don't buy European. shit cars. lock and ban.

Don't buy one with stereo and mags and a sick spoiler. It's been fanged hard. I can guarantee that.

I recommend a Lancer (or Mirage, near identical parts and build, apart from the obvious). Mine rawks.
  • Uses fuck all fuel ($25 bucks a week, daily driver)
  • parts are so available it's not funny
  • its a coupe so it looks kinda kewl. Put the rear lights in myself.
  • I've only had the timing belt replaced (needed it when it was sold) and major service (about $800 bucks all up). Always started first go.

I got mine 86k, 2003, GLi w/ 15" ROH rims, driven by older drivers for $9600. pics;

Don't settle! shop around until you find something awesomely priced that you want.

shannonm

HSC
N/A

wont get an '03 86k for under 5k

2 door cars (or 3 incl. hatch, or whatever) shit me to no end, getting big bastards in the back seat

basically if your (total) budget is 5k youd want the cost of the car to be something like 4k +-500 or so, there will ALWAYS be some trivial repair work which you will need to do / get done.

You wouldn't spend $$$ on new tyes, clutch, bpads, other stuff if you knew your selling it soon

i bought an ae92 corolla hatch a few months back for 2.5k, and knew when i was buying it , it needed a new front driver wheel bearing (paid mechanic to do), replacement tyre, rear tail light+housing replacement,
and a few days after driving, needed both front pads and rewiring of the shitty electrics (cd player /speaks were wired directly to the battery, unfused..) which quickly added up to 550 odd
+ nrma (if you want it), 75 odd for stamp duty, 3rd party property (if you want it), + if rego is coming up (people like to sell there cars at a time when they get their moneys worth for the last rego, but long enough to make it not seem like an issue (not an immediate expense) for the person buying the car , plus ctp once its expired

basically if your total immediate car budget is 5k, the actual amount you should spend on the car would be much less.. just keep that in mind for all the extras

early/mid 90s corollas, lancers/mirages (not magnas), pulsars, civics, [jap is ok - but stay away from korean shit :)] are all nice old fart cars that should do the job for you and not bad to work on if you want to learn a bit/do some things for yourself

Last edited:

jovelar

HSC
im getting a skyline as my car. i thought of 200sx but i can find one without turbo or looking half decent. so skylines always look good so imm aget one in less than a month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)