Fatties have right to extra airline seat (1 Viewer)

nikolas

HSC
katie tully said:
Extremely robust theory backed up by many different fields.
It hasn't been proven.

We had this discussion ages ago in the Eve thread, and I remember distinctly you or Nolan attacking somebody for insinuating that evolution has been proven.

As I said, Rockyroad and co, we can take this out of here and into the Eve thread. I'll even abstain from calling names.
Macro evolution for obvious reasons has not been proven, Micro evolution on the other hand has been observed.

And not to be pedantic, but in scientific context isn't theory=fact?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
black_kat_meow said:
Aww :(

We can't go back to the fatties debate though without people screaming that laziness is a disease and food is addictive. I wonder what Rockyroad and these other girls weigh, hmm....

Sigh, well, back to fatties!
Food is addictive, especially the sort of food which we get fed from childhood over here :)

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Enteebee said:
Food is addictive, especially the sort of food which we get fed from childhood over here :)
Yeah, again I'm tired, that's not what I meant :)

Rockyroad just seems determined to absolve all people of any sense of personal responsibilty for their actions (see her posts in other threads for this).

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
nikolas said:
Macro evolution for obvious reasons has not been proven, Micro evolution on the other hand has been observed.

And not to be pedantic, but in scientific context isn't theory=fact?
Yes and no.

I'll steal a heap of shit from Wikipedia coz I cbf, but;
In science the word theory is not a synonym of "fact".
This is in considerable contrast to the more philosophical context where a scientific theory is understood to be a testable model capable of predicting future occurrences or observations and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise verified through empirical observation
chadd said:
It depends what someone means by 'proven', my attack on someone (at least I imagine) would probably be if they are trying to claim that a 'proven' theory is greater than a 'theory'. As far as scientific terminology goes there are no such things as proofs (only in mathematics), it is more of a colloquial term which I suppose someone would use to mean an 'extremely robust theory backed up by many different fields'.
You kinda had to see her response and the question she was responding to, to see why I took offense to the way she proclaimed 'EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN, KTHX BYE'

I'd love it to be proven. That way next time some Mormon knocks on my door, I can be like 'Dinosaurs dickhead' or something, idk.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Enteebee said:
Yeah but basically I think people are over Rockyroad and her quest to absolve the human race for any faults of their own.

Her argument would go something like this;
Fat people don't want to be fat, but we can't make them not be fat coz we can't tell them what they should and should not eat coz that goes against their civil liberties.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
katie tully said:
Yeah but basically I think people are over Rockyroad and her quest to absolve the human race for any faults of their own.

Her argument would go something like this;
Fat people don't want to be fat, but we can't make them not be fat coz we can't tell them what they should and should not eat coz that goes against their civil liberties.
I said that... :(

Lol! People like that shit me, though, it's so frustrating

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
black_kat_meow said:
Aww :(

We can't go back to the fatties debate though without people screaming that laziness is a disease and food is addictive. I wonder what Rockyroad and these other girls weigh, hmm....

Sigh, well, back to fatties!
I weigh 55, 56 kilos last time I checked. And 161 cm tall I think. Take from that what you will. I believe that gives me a bmi of 21.2 therefore i am placed in the lower end of a normal weight range. I regret having to post this. I'll post a formal photo when that comes around if you want. It is possible for ppl who aren't fat to sympathise with the fatties, to feel sorry for them, I think I would try everyday to loose weight and become depressed when I didn't.
And I don't scream. (food IS addictive by the way and I have seen it first hand, it is very sad)
I'll admit, I find this a tricky issue, I asked my family members about it and we were split down the middle so I totally respect ppl who respectfully disagree with me. I'm happy to go back to the fatties debate.

Last edited:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
What do you guys think of, for instance, bans on fast food advertising (this would include toys in 'happy meals' etc) ? Also something like warning labels on soft drinks, sugary foods etc saying they are bad for children?

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Enteebee said:
What do you guys think of, for instance, bans on fast food advertising (this would include toys in 'happy meals' etc) ?
I'd like to see if a study exists, whereby obese people were surveyed to find the motivating factors behind their over eating.

It'd be easy enough to ban advertising, but people still know the food exists, and they still know they can drive to Maccas and be out within 10 minutes.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Rockyroad said:
I weigh 55, 56 kilos last time I checked. And 161 cm tall I think. Take from that what you will. I believe that gives me a bmi of 21.2 therefore classified as a normal weight. I regret having to post this. I'll post a formal photo when that comes around if you want. It is possible for ppl who aren't fat to sympathise with the fatties, to feel sorry for them, I think I would try everyday to loose weight and become depressed when I didn't.
And I don't scream. (food IS addictive by the way and I have seen it first hand, it is very sad)
I'll admit, I find this a tricky issue, I asked my family members about it and we were split down the middle so I totally respect ppl who respectfully disagree with me. I'm happy to go back to the fatties debate.
I used to weigh 64 kilos. Now I weigh between 50 and 53 (fluctuates). It's only hard to lose weight if you're lazy, or genuinely have a medical condition. Majority of people don't.

We have grown lazy as a society. You can't deny this.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
katie tully said:
I'd like to see if a study exists, whereby obese people were surveyed to find the motivating factors behind their over eating.

It'd be easy enough to ban advertising, but people still know the food exists, and they still know they can drive to Maccas and be out within 10 minutes.
I don't think surveys etc could do that... but one point I would make would be that McDonalds etc pursue a domineering advertising strategy, they surely think it's working else why spend the millions of dollars on it?

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Enteebee said:
What do you guys think of, for instance, bans on fast food advertising (this would include toys in 'happy meals' etc) ? Also something like warning labels on soft drinks, sugary foods etc saying they are bad for children?
That would make me sick if we really had come to that point, where we're not considered capable to make informed decisions on our own. Everyone is quite aware that sugar and fat is bad for them, and that we need to exercise.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
black_kat_meow said:
I said that... :(

Lol! People like that shit me, though, it's so frustrating
I noticed she copied what you said too.
Katie brings a more literal meaning to the phrase 'putting words in my mouth'.
She's like.. 'Rockyroad's argument would go like this:..." and then you are (i think) replying to that. Crazy.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
black_kat_meow said:
That would make me sick if we really had come to that point, where we're not considered capable to make informed decisions on our own. Everyone is quite aware that sugar and fat is bad for them, and that we need to exercise.
To imagine that everyone are free agents, completely un-phased by the world around them might lead you to this view. I would ask you though why you then think that so much money is spent by fast food outlets (or really just any company) on advertising? I believe it is because it influences people's behaviour and makes them for instance choose to buy their product whereas without such advertising they would have a higher likelyhood of making a different choice.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Enteebee said:
I don't think surveys etc could do that... but one point I would make would be that McDonalds etc pursue a domineering advertising strategy, they surely think it's working else why spend the millions of dollars on it?
So do we regulate advertising and put stringent bans on advertisements targeted at the most vulnerable groups (i.e. children and those of low socio economic standards)?

We're mostly against regulating everything else, but allowing a generation to die younger than its predecessors seems a tad wrong.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
black_kat_meow said:
I used to weigh 64 kilos. Now I weigh between 50 and 53 (fluctuates). It's only hard to lose weight if you're lazy, or genuinely have a medical condition. Majority of people don't.

We have grown lazy as a society. You can't deny this.
Definetely. But everyone is lazy to some extent. And laziness has all sorts of effects, one of which is obesity (i admit partly caused by this) but other ppl's laziness will come out in different ways.
One thing that I hate is when ppl actually hate ppl cos they're fat.
I naturally feel sorry for them, it would suck so much. Ppl staring and being mean and judging, it would be hell.

Last edited:

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Enteebee said:
To imagine that everyone are free agents, completely un-phased by the world around them might lead you to this view. I would ask you though why you then think that so much money is spent by fast food outlets (or really just any company) on advertising? I believe it is because it influences people's behaviour and makes them for instance choose to buy their product whereas without such advertising they would have a higher likelyhood of making a different choice.
True. People are stupid. This is my "theory" *cough* "fact".

I can't be bothered arguing anymore. I just want people to take responsibilty for their own actions. I also know this will never happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)