Fatties have right to extra airline seat (1 Viewer)

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Rockyroad said:
Definetely. But everyone is lazy to some extent. And laziness has all sorts of effects, one of which is obesity (i admit partly caused by this) but other ppl's laziness will come out in different ways.
Obesity is on the rise because we are consuming larger amounts of unhealthy food and exercising less. This = lifestyle choices. I don't understand what what you just said has to do with the discussion.

fareezuh

HSC
how about XX large seats fitted into the plane?
to accomodate everyone

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
black_kat_meow said:
Obesity is on the rise because we are consuming larger amounts of unhealthy food and exercising less. This = lifestyle choices. I don't understand what what you just said has to do with the discussion.
Oh, well, you or someone was talking about fat ppl just being lazy or they are fat because they are just too lazy and I said we are all lazy to some extent (so not a crime) about different things and so ppl shoudn't hate fat ppl because of this, eg i am lazy about schoolwork or whatever. Maybe it's not the strongest point but I'm just explaining what I was saying. It's about more than laziness, as I've already said I believe it's an addiction.
Taking responsibilty is one thing - they should be doing something about it, trying to loose weight and exercising etc So I agree with you here. I don't deny they should take responsibility.
Hating fat ppl (like some ppl on here) because they are 'fat' and 'lazy' and 'disgusting' is another.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
fareezuh said:
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come across so harshly :)

It's just this thread has become very frustrating and the arguments tend to be circular.

Don't let me put you off contributing :) (I'm grumpy as I need sleep too... :S)

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Rockyroad said:
Oh, well, you or someone was talking about fat ppl just being lazy or they are fat because they are just too lazy and I said we are all lazy to some extent (so not a crime) about different things and so ppl shoudn't hate fat ppl because of this, eg i am lazy about schoolwork or whatever. Maybe it's not the strongest point but I'm just explaining what I was saying. It's about more than laziness, as I've already said I believe it's an addiction.
Taking responsibilty is one thing - they should be doing something about it, trying to loose weight and exercising etc So I agree with you here. I don't deny they should take responsibility.
Hating fat ppl (like some ppl on here) because they are 'fat' and 'lazy' and 'disgusting' is another.
I just know a lot of overweight people (including most of my family), and I knwo they will try blame their weight on ANYTHING but themselves, as they reach for the second (or third) serving of chocolate cake...

nikolas

HSC
black_kat_meow said:
I just know a lot of overweight people (including most of my family), and I know they will try blame their weight on ANYTHING but themselves, as they reach for the second (or third) serving of chocolate cake...
I for one, blame society.

fareezuh

HSC
i agree there is such a thin line considered perfect that if you don't meet the standards you are imperfect and hence you let yourself fall.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Pace_T said:
i like rockyroad. she isn't rude and she isnt afraid of voicing her opinions on touchy issues. she brings a lot of new discussion on these debates, especially since they often become one-sided on this forum.
:hippie:

Pace_T

HSC
Rockyroad said:
no one here is saying its a crime? no one said they should be charged and put in jail for being fat?
everyone is agreeing with you that they should take responsibility. and most of us agree that it should be in the form of being charged for an extra airline ticket. if they aren't they will grow accustomed to it and be even less inclined to do something about their weight, because they know the airlines are obliged to cater for their extremely big asses.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Pace_T said:
no one here is saying its a crime? no one said they should be charged and put in jail for being fat?
everyone is agreeing with you that they should take responsibility. and most of us agree that it should be in the form of being charged for an extra airline ticket. if they aren't they will grow accustomed to it and be even less inclined to do something about their weight, because they know the airlines are obliged to cater for their extremely big asses.
I don't think big airline seats are a big inducement for keeping the weight. Fat ppl want to loose the weight anyway, most are constantly trying.
It might sound weak, but a main reason for my view is simply I feel sorry for them, I think they have it hard enough with ppl staring and judging and being mean. While I think they should try and loose wieght, I think it is really really hard to, especially when you are middle aged and obese.
I never said that anyone here said that being fat is a crime. We were talking about laziness and about how everyone is lazy so it isn't a thing to blame fat ppl for. I get annoyed at ppl who hate fat ppl, when they don't even know them. Another thing that gets me so fired up about that is that my aunty and uncle are really, anti-fat ppl, so that's kinda where my annoyance comes from, they don't look past the fat.. .
I mean, the main point should be how to rectify the problem. It doesn't help at all for ppl to just keep criticising. We all agree they should try and loose the weight, we don't need to discuss that.

Pace_T

HSC
Rockyroad said:
I don't think big airline seats are a big inducement for keeping the weight.
where will it end? maybe airlines being obliged to incur greater costs to cater for obese people is just the beginning? the thing with courts is they form precedent. many new cases will come through and use this to sway an argument.

Rockyroad said:
Fat ppl want to loose the weight anyway, most are constantly trying.
statistics? most? whats most? what's trying? what about the biggest loser, i would classify all of them as trying, and they DO lose the weight. having one less slice of cake a night is not trying hard enough. this whole statement is very subjective and unless you come out with some convincing statistics, i and many others are going to believe that most obese people aren't doing enough to watch their weight. moreover, you need to consider prevention, not just cure. those without medical conditions let themselves get to that point. shouldn't they be held accountable?

Rockyroad said:
It might sound weak, but a main reason for my view is simply I feel sorry for them, I think they have it hard enough with ppl staring and judging and being mean.
its extremely unfair that they are being treated the way they are. but its also unfair that the rest of the airline customers have to subsidise the obese person's extra seat.

Rockyroad said:
While I think they should try and loose wieght, I think it is really really hard to, especially when you are middle aged and obese.
i agree. its very difficult. but they let themselves get to that point (not talking about those with medical conditions).

Rockyroad said:
I never said that anyone here said that being fat is a crime.
i didn't say you did. i'm merely pointing out that no one has said its a crime and hence no one disagrees with you in that respect.

Rockyroad said:
I get annoyed at ppl who hate fat ppl, when they don't even know them. Another thing that gets me so fired up about that is that my aunty and uncle are really, anti-fat ppl, so that's kinda where my annoyance comes from, they don't look past the fat..
people such as myself who argue that the obese people should be forced to pay for the extra airline ticket are distinct from those who hate fat people. i dont hate them at all. i just think its irresponsible to subsidise their plane ticket.

Rockyroad said:
I mean, the main point should be how to rectify the problem. It doesn't help at all for ppl to just keep criticising. We all agree they should try and loose the weight, we don't need to discuss that.
as for rectifying the problem, a start would be to hold them accountable for their eating habits by not subsidising their plane ticket.

boris

Banned
HSC
If we subsidise airline seats, then we will become enablers and this does not help their quest to not be fat. lol

As if anyone hates fat people? Where did you come up with this retarded hypothesis? When +50% of the population are fat, it doesn't matter if people hate them because they are the majority anyway. Everyone knows that people are fat because they dont eat right and dont exercise enough. That is it. Why dont they eat right? Because they are lazy. Why dont they exercise enough? Because they are lazy. Its very simple. Obviously other factors come into play such as stress, food advertising etc but 50% of the population manage to overcome this so why cant fatties?

Also isn't there a link between lower socio-economic class and obesity/overweight people? Poor people are more likey to be fat?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
When someone can show some kind of proof (like an article from a medical journal or something) that most morbidly obese people have not largely inflicted their fat upon themselves, then I might change my view on this (being, that if they need an extra seat they can damn well pay for it). I've been looking but I haven't found anything so maybe people with medical skillz can dig up an answer, idk.

Anyway, whether its your fault or not, if you need an extra/different service for any reason, then I don't really think its fair to expect other people who don't have the same needs as you to bear the cost. Life isn't fair.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
When someone can show some kind of proof (like an article from a medical journal or something) that most morbidly obese people have not largely inflicted their fat upon themselves, then I might change my view on this (being, that if they need an extra seat they can damn well pay for it). I've been looking but I haven't found anything so maybe people with medical skillz can dig up an answer, idk.
Dare I note that the obesity epidemic in Australia is largely related to children? You can say once they're adults they have responsibility for themselves sure... but if you're starting off as an obese teenager then it's a fairly tough thing to cut down your calories and begin excercising.

boris

Banned
HSC
Enteebee said:
Dare I note that the obesity epidemic in Australia is largely related to children? You can say once they're adults they have responsibility for themselves sure... but if you're starting off as an obese teenager then it's a fairly tough thing to cut down your calories and begin excercising.
Should be a lot more pressure on parents to keep their children not fat.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Enteebee said:
Yeah that's true, I have a lot more sympathy for obese kids and teenagers because (I would assume) it's their parent's fault. And it would be fairly hard to lose weight when you've got mum and dad stuffing you with crap.

Adults who eat themselves into obesity I really cannot feel any pity for though, even if they started out as fat kids. As for parents who let their kids get fat :chainsaw:

Meh. So over people that can't take responsibility for something so simple as not getting fat (genuine medical problems aside)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)