Failed my half yearlies:( (1 Viewer)

sailormoonn

HSC
i failed all my half yearlies! my ranks are really really low:( my half yearlies are worth 20-30%
would i be able to still get an atar over 85? my atar goal was to get a 92 ah i guess that's now impossible to get.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
feel so horrible right now

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Re: Help out

i failed all my half yearlies! my ranks are really really low my half yearlies are worth 20-30%
would i be able to still get an atar over 85? my atar goal was to get a 92 ah i guess that's now impossible to get.
First of all, what do you mean by "fail"? Secondly, how are your rankings?

fionarykim

HSC
Ahhh can u tell us your ranks?
Ur half yearlies arnt worth much :S all my half yearlies were were 35% almost ( the maths ones were)
im pretty sure if you ace trials and HSC these petty marks wont effect you too much and you can still get in the 90s
what subjects do u do and what school? :)

Aysce

HSC
There is still some hope provided you give it your 100% from now on and learn from the mistakes you made during your half yearlies. The assessments and trials will be the time for you to hopefully catch up - there is still hope and usually trials have the greatest weighting. Don't give up :)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
i failed all my half yearlies! my ranks are really really low:( my half yearlies are worth 20-30%
would i be able to still get an atar over 85? my atar goal was to get a 92 ah i guess that's now impossible to get.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
It isn't impossible. Just don't give up and lose hope. A little belief and positive energy goes a long way.

chocorett0

HSC
N/A
You still have 2 chances left.... It might not guarantee 80+ unless you ace ur other tests and assessments. But yes it is a possibility, this is coming from a previous HSC student!! Anyways don't worry about the ATAR so much. Study hard for all your assessments/exams don't slack off... I wish you all the luck!!

starlight-tears

HSC
Don't give up now!
You're only half way through your school assessed tasks!
Remember that the HSC weighs 50% and school assessed tasks weight 50%
You've got the trials and other assessments left!

jarrodoliver1

HSC
Go all out for the next two-three assessment tasks. Could you enlighten us by providing your ranks? You may not have performed too bad.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I am going to be very honest with you.

Can you turn it around? Theoretically, yes. Is it likely? Yes and no, depending on your attitude and the circumstances at your school.

Bias is inherent within humans, there is no magic drink or pill to erase this within us. If you are the person that did very bad, and I mean, you are failing (below 50%) and the average is 80-85%, it is going to be extremely difficult to catch up. I say this parted on the concept of bias. I can sit here and reassure you that you still have many marks available in the 'assessment pool' and that you will get band 6 and be on your way to the 'riches', but to conclude at that would be highly unreasonable. No teacher will mark your assessment tasks with impartiality, if you got 30% in the one before. They will mentally note "this was the outlier, he is not going to be within the top five". Now, I know that I will probably get a lot of hate for this, but the facts are the facts. I have experienced this personally, and I have had friends experience this. The teacher marks your work with great detail, looking for any minor detail to rip it to pieces. The difference between you getting a band six and the consistently high-achiever getting a band six; the high achiever just has to satisfactorily comply to the criteria, whereas you have to produce the Shakespearean masterpiece of the 21st century.

Needless to say, what I am relating is extreme. If you are within the average bracket, you should be okay. I have seen this repeated time and time again, and I believe Enoilgam is the original creator of this - It is easy to commit to an idea, but it is difficult to commit to a process. I can sit here on my throne, wearing a robe and eating expensive fruit, and thinking about my great ATAR; but if I do no work, I am in for a reality check in late December. If you expect that you are going to have a metamorphosis from a student who did the bare minimum to avoid trouble, into a star-student who consistently studies everyday; you are not thinking realistically and need to put things into perspective.

Understand your weaknesses, work towards a remedy and I will also promote the idea of not talking to ANYONE about your study pattern. Everyone in the HSC wants to have a 'competitive advantage', often desiring to bring you to complacency (successfully so) so they can continue their study pattern and beat you. This exists, and definitely, its prevalence in my school cannot be denied; nor can the influence of such individuals on students be undermined.

If you still do not achieve your desired ATAR, there is no problem. We live in a beautiful country and there are many other ways to get into university, and the HSC is definitely not the only admission ticket. If you also notice, the most successful in the fields do not get it right the first time.

Also, please provide us with your ranks. With accordance, the more informed individuals can give you a more realistic view other the speculation that we are all inevitably responding with.

Last edited:

Capt Rifle

HSC

Can you turn it around? Theoretically, yes. Is it likely? Yes and no, depending on your attitude and the circumstances at your school.

Bias is inherent within humans, there is no magic drink or pill to erase this within us. If you are the person that did very bad, and I mean, you are failing (below 50%) and the average is 80-85%, it is going to be extremely difficult to catch up. I say this parted on the concept of bias. I can sit here and reassure you that you still have many marks available in the 'assessment pool' and that you will get band 6 and be on your way to the 'riches', but to conclude at that would be highly unreasonable. No teacher will mark your assessment tasks with impartiality, if you got 30% in the one before. They will mentally note "this was the outlier, he is not going to be within the top five". Now, I know that I will probably get a lot of hate for this, but the facts are the facts. I have experienced this personally, and I have had friends experience this. The teacher marks your work with great detail, looking for any minor detail to rip it to pieces. The difference between you getting a band six and the consistently high-achiever getting a band six; the high achiever just has to satisfactorily comply to the criteria, whereas you have to produce the Shakespearean masterpiece of the 21st century.

Needless to say, what I am relating is extreme. If you are within the average bracket, you should be okay. I have seen this repeated time and time again, and I believe Enoilgam is the original creator of this - It is easy to commit to an idea, but it is difficult to commit to a process. I can sit here on my throne, wearing a robe and eating expensive fruit, and thinking about my great ATAR; but if I do no work, I am in for a reality check in late December. If you expect that you are going to have a metamorphosis from a student who did the bare minimum to avoid trouble, into a star-student who consistently studies everyday; you are not thinking realistically and need to put things into perspective.

Understand your weaknesses, work towards a remedy and I will also promote the idea of not talking to ANYONE about your study pattern. Everyone in the HSC wants to have a 'competitive advantage', often desiring to bring you to complacency (successfully so) so they can continue their study pattern and beat you. This exists, and definitely, its prevalence in my school cannot be denied; nor can the influence of such individuals on students be undermined.

If you still do not achieve your desired ATAR, there is no problem. We live in a beautiful country and there are many other ways to get into university, and the HSC is definitely not the only admission ticket. If you also notice, the most successful in the fields do not get it right the first time.

Also, please provide us with your ranks. With accordance, the more informed individuals can give you a more realistic view other the speculation that we are all inevitably responding with.
+1

kwu1

HSC

+1

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad

would plus 1 but i need the tl;dr version.

Kowther

HSC
I done pretty badly in my trials, and they were all worth 5-15% apart from legal which was 30%, but I'm still going to try and turn it around in the second half. Trials usually are worth a lot, so do your best for them and upcoming assessment tasks.

Also it depends on your ranks as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)