Extension (1 Viewer)

jet

Banned
HSC
Then create a thread in NS to argue or something.

bubbrubb

HSC
Im sure there would be a fair few people behind us too. Considering half of mr browns class got over 90% for year 11 bio lol

I love telling people there is 500 in my year lol
right. because getting over 90% in prelim school assessments is a major achievement. more like your school has easy tests...

anyways,
for all those people whinging about sciences being too easy for you - be happy. most of the state struggles so much already with sciences which is why its scaled so well DUH. there is relli no need to make it ne harder.

and enough with the shit talking about how stupid someone is because they think that bio, chem or physics is hard. i.e. shuttlebus and bob fossil stop talking down to people. if you had owned the hsc then maybe i would give you respect but at the same time tell you that atar is a rank and that - in the end - its just about beating your peers - the difficulty of the subject should not be too much of a concern since everything is relative. but u didnt own the hsc... so ill tell you to stop talking down to people because you dont relli have the marks to back up what you are saying about how "easy" sciences are.

determine

Premium Member
HSC
Scaling has absolutely no affect if you do well.
Obviously someone failed the humanities?

Let the sciences extend and push students. History already has extension. It's time the science kids got their fare share.
That was rude and uncalled for. Don't you dare jump to conclusions, mister!

I got 99.9 this year doing 2u maths, 2 u english, society and culture, music 2, chemistry and CAFS, two of these which are humanities which are LOW scaling.

So don't you DARE confront me in such a way and even contemplate that I failed the humanities.

Also, scaling DOES have an affect if you do well - for example, if you get 100 in business studies, that scales down to 97. this IS an effect, and it is a HUGE effect, compared to most other subjects which at 100, stay at 100. thus, losing 3 points from business studies even when you get 100 (which mind you would be a phenomenal achievement) really throws you in the deep end because then it reduces your aggregate and immediately reduces your chance of getting a 99.95, for instance.

so don't give people false perceptions by saying that "oh scaling has no effect if you do well". because it does! it just has LESS effect if you do well, but it still has an impact on your aggregate, hence your ATAR.

thank you .

bob fossil

HSC
anyways,
for all those people whinging about sciences being too easy for you - be happy. most of the state struggles so much already with sciences which is why its scaled so well DUH. there is relli no need to make it ne harder.

Chem and Physics scale better than Bio, doesn't that mean they are harder.

They should be all equal.

swathard

HSC
exactly. no subject is harder than another. each course has different content, different skills required, and thus people with different strengths and weaknesses will perform strongly/poorly in different courses.

scaling does NOT indicate whether one subject is harder/easier than another - it is simply there as an indication of the strength of the state-wide cohort that completes the course each year. because as we can see, just because something like business studies scales poorly, it does NOT mean it is easy - it just means that there are weak students doing it across the state - and as a matter of fact, if it was so easy, then there would be a much greater proportion of students gaining a band 6 in this subject. and as the facts show, more people receive band 2s, 3s and 4s than those who receive band 6s in business studies. same goes for a number of other low scaling subjects.

swathard

HSC
I recon it does a pretty good job of it.
that's an unfair call, I think.

my argument is simply that different courses require different skills, and what one person might see as easy may not be seen as easy to other people.

all subjects are easy and hard in their own ways. it differs from person to person.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Wow, I didn't think this would get so much attention. All I really had in mind was a 1 unit subject that taught proper scientific methods and such, for students wanting to study science at uni. I hardly see that as being too difficult, I mean teachers shouldn't be teaching if they can't teach stuff like that. I really did like some of the ideas from Shuttle_bus5 and bob fossil, but I guess there would be waaay to much oposition to these, as evident in this thread.

swathard

HSC
i find eco piss easy but alot of the state finds it hard, so your argument is out the door.
exactly, which is where my argument that 'different people will have different views on which courses are hard and which are easy, hence scaling is not indicative of which subjects are "more difficult than others"' comes in.

determine

Premium Member
HSC
exactly, which is where my argument that 'different people will have different views on which courses are hard and which are easy, hence scaling is not indicative of which subjects are "more difficult than others"' comes in.
that is SO true.

wendybird

HSC
The course could teach stuff about scientific instrumentalism I suppose.

Ask sikhman about it. He did that option for philosophy.

nonsenseTM

HSC
I don't think there would be enough teachers capable of teaching science extension, based on the fact some teachers can't even teach 2u course properly. It might be just like a course like 4u maths in which a lot of students rely on themselves or tutors

shuttle_bus5

HSC
I don't think there would be enough teachers capable of teaching science extension, based on the fact some teachers can't even teach 2u course properly. It might be just like a course like 4u maths in which a lot of students rely on themselves or tutors
There is nothing wrong with self teaching.

nonsenseTM

HSC
there IS something wrong with going to school and bludge, and study at home!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)