Extension French (Info answering the question "Should I do it?") (1 Viewer)

cricketscorer

Well, I reckon there is a bit of sexual innuendo; but you're right Chepas, it's not in any of the set sequences (there's some bit in some random garden when they put their clothes back on). I don't really like M+J as a film, mainly because I think Guediguan lets his political agenda get in the way of where the film should go.

Anyway, I had some questions about the offical Board notes on the film. In the scene with Marius and Jeannette in the restaurant, it claims that "Jeanette and M. Ebrard chat happily about their former attempt to cheat each other". And in the Caroline monologue when she talks about her concentration camp experiences (too racy for religious fundementalists?) it claims there is a "newsreel style".

I appear to disagree with this. Can anyone set me on the right track, or confirm my suspicions?

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
oh yea, i remeber going through that joke with my teacher.. hope ive still got my notes on it...

ack.. i can't seem to find them ill ask my teacher tomorrow, i know she knows alot about it but i forget lol... if we havent found the answer by tomorrow ill post what my teacher told me... :)

chepas

HSC
cricketscorer said:
"Jeanette and M. Ebrard chat happily about their former attempt to cheat each other". And in the Caroline monologue when she talks about her concentration camp experiences (too racy for religious fundementalists?) it claims there is a "newsreel style".
Yeah I disagree with that too. Happily? At all? I think in Extract 4 it was a pretty one-sided conversation. Jeannette says "Vous avez menti?" then M. Ebrard rebutts with giving her back the dud cheque - nothing is said further between them! Is that a conversation about it? And if at all, would it have been happy?

I don't know about how racy Caroline gets... I don't think any of them get really racy except when Justin is drunk... the worse thing Caroline says about any race is in that speech "On avait la chance de pas être juif en plus..." - I don't think that's really racist, because the sentiment as it seemed to me was that it was 'We were lucky to be them/Thank goodness, because they had it a lot worse off than us commies.'

But a newsreel? Huh?

???

Re: La colle - Yeah I think the teacher once explained it in a lesson day but I didn't get it, or I meant to question what she said because I didn't understand or something else, but didn't. Stupid joke!

Re: Sexual innuendo - yeah, that scene too... mm.. but let's remember that Jeannette is Catholic! Perchance a pillar of reason for the 'conservative schools' :D?. And of course the underwear selling/Jeannette going "Maintenant que j'ai le costume, me reste plus qu'a` trouver le client', Magali in the underwear looking 'pouffiasse' and having just to 'go out on the street [like this] and falling pregnant'... damn, there goes my case against such innuendo in the film hehe.

cricketscorer said:
I don't really like M+J as a film, mainly because I think Guediguan lets his political agenda get in the way of where the film should go.
Interesting thought... I never actually thought about liking it as a film because from the outset it was meant to be torn apart and written about, not just sat back and be appreciated! Though I think that through the characters, while he does expose his views and convictions, in quite long lengthy expositions lol, the sort of 'over-indulgence' in political commentary is important to such characters like Caroline and Justin, in making us understand them as their characters. In that respect they're not just making shallow comments of things, but reinforcing it, (though as you say at the expense of letting political agenda play a major role in the film), and in turn creating characters, who are quite intense and involved. Also the big heavy political thing with Caroline in Extract 4 in the cimenterie, when she goes on at length about the beers, goes right through Dédé, so Dédé's ignorance is highlighted by such intense political discussion, because he has no idea about what Caroline is talking.

So in short (!!!) it's just part of character development, I think...

Last edited:

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
it is a pretty stupid joke lol.
Caroline doesn't get racy, not that i can think of.
and M Ebrard and J don't have a convo and its definatly not friendly!

k_i_mm_i

HSC
at the bar, he ordered fischer if my memory serves me rite!
and remember when Monique tells him that FN is bad, he threw stones at their posters while he was smashed....aww he's so cute!

without him being there, the film woudl be so stressful.
He is comic relief :) a technique Shakespeare often uses i believe

Last edited:

cranberries

show Pony
HSC
N/A
I think with Carolines monologue, the 'racy' bits are the bits when she's talking about 'screwing against the wall, in the mud...anywhere etc' - because, you know, we're so young and protected that we've NEVER heard ANYTHING like that before...! ;)

I never really thought much of that joke but I thought it was just a lame attempt at humour, like you know, oh a bac for painting/wallpapering ahahaha- didn't really much think much into it but an explanation would be great!

If we're doing 'things we don't understand about m&J', how about when they're all watching tv in the courette- don't u think, like, who dragged that tv out there? Where did they plug it in? it's l'Estaque after all, not exactly electricity central

last thing, about the only thing i like about this stupid film is the farandole music! it's quite cheerful and always gives me a boost lol :D

chepas

HSC
Ah que tu as raison :)

D: Vous avez de la Fischer?
Barman: Ah non. Heineken ou une 1664.
D: Heineken.... traître!

But at Extract 4 it did, as he said he only likes Kronenbourg, and then everyone laughs etc, Caroline goes "Il est con, lui"... but again you're right, his subliminal thoughts must take over then...

Yay thanks for that :). I can say I learnt something today and haven't wasted 24 hours :D.

Excellent, about Dédé being 'comic relief' too... they pick on him again when they watch the football though, so his apparent dumbness isn't exactly all gone.

That was subtle though! :D

chepas

HSC
kimmi said:
and justin also says toucher la quequette
or something like that
ahahah
HAHA yeah. Gosh, spilling the humanly seed. Of course, it's a sin yes?

Actually, Justin's whole speech about religion would probably ruffle some feathers, by effectively putting words in God's mouth... :rolleyes:

We're posting actively and I'm away from comp all time - fighting cockroachs and packing boxes - so I'm all out of sync lol.

cranberries said:
If we're doing 'things we don't understand about m&J', how about when they're all watching tv in the courette- don't u think, like, who dragged that tv out there? Where did they plug it in? it's l'Estaque after all, not exactly electricity central
lol. Well, it looks like Jeannette's TV, and there must have been an extension chord or something. I don't thinkt they're THAT steeped in poverty. I mean, they have water and electricity still to power a TV :D.

Stupid movie. 109 hours until we never have to talk about it again!

chepas

HSC
kimmi said:
how did they pick on him while watching tv
When they mock him for what he's saying about Marius leaving after he's had his business Jeannette. Then he goes something like "C'est peut-être con, ce que j'ai dit quelque chose..."

Caroline: J'ai connu des muets intelligents
D: Et, ça veut dire quoi?
Monique: Ça veut dire que t'es pas muet.

chepas

HSC
Actually I can't find the whole thing, I think I shoved it in a box, but I have my ext. booklets with just the extracts in front of me :D. Tu as découvert mon secret :D. Come on, it's not as if I've committed the whole film to memory haha :p. I'm trying to memorise some stuff though. I think I have important parts of Justin's intégriste speech down. It's like English in ways, though it doesn't really say support answer with reference to text hehe...

It's like endless reruns of the Simpsons. They can be recited at quite oh-my-goddingly by some people, just because the Simpsons on all the time. Me, I do it with Fawlty Towers :D.

k_i_mm_i

HSC
ahaha....we're gonna do well in this exam :) i reckon
I have a feeling they r gonna ask the cimenterie questions where they are all drinking beer
or maybe even the first scene

chepas

HSC
Hehe. Got it down pat. Just gotta remember how to write a good essay lol... Damn justifying point of view.

Please let them ask about extract 4! Hehe.

What Extracts have they done? Extract 5 last year... I can't remember 2002/2001...

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
they did the restaurant scene in 2001 i think, where M ebrard gives back the dud check. and in 2002 they did Malek and rammadan. im pretty sure

cranberries

show Pony
HSC
N/A
what do u think they'll give us for empathy? There's not much to pick from really...all the characters are already associated with issues you know, like magali=leaving, monique=strike- maybe they'll ask us to do justin?

chepas

HSC
I am fearing that they will give something Caroline... NOOO... Maybe another concentration camp type of thing, which will get depressing...

I also hope that it's going to be a dialogue, not a rambling diary entry, because I love writing dialogues. Diary entries are crap. Who writes diaries anymore?!?!?

Re: Past HSC paper extracts. - yeah, cheers.

iwanttodowellin

chepas said:
I also hope that it's going to be a dialogue, not a rambling diary entry, because I love writing dialogues. Diary entries are crap. Who writes diaries anymore?!?!?
So true, however, I have to disagree on one point...
what do you mean 'anymore'? are you implying people actually wrote diaries often??!! as if it was common!?!?

lol, just kidding...thought id lighten the atmosphere>...
however, i also am afraid they will ask us sumthing about caroline and her concentration camp...
And i am really confused about the whole extract on 'la patriomoine de l'humanite' and just what is important about it!?!? And HOW does it show characters relationships, etc, through language or whatever they always ask about that scene...

And also, i am fine with sum extracts, like coping with change, ie malek turning to ramadan, magali leaving for paris, and how her mother cant cope with these changing relationships....but what is the likelihood that they ask that scene again?

I bet Guediguian didnt even mean to create such depth of issues as the BOS has managed to find....they really are scraping the barrel, i mean everything seems to have a meaning! And its not just this movie, its anything we study critically!! I think the BOS just cant accept the fact that some things just dont HAVE a meaning, and they should stop trying to invent a meaning for things that are, quite frankly, meaningless...

chepas

HSC
poi said:
are you implying people actually wrote diaries often??!! as if it was common!?!
Hehe yes indeed I meant that no-one writes diary entries anymore, and that once upon a time that one did find oneself in a generation where the thoughts were contained in said books. Why, do you keep a diary poi :D.

poi said:
just what is important about it!?!? And HOW does it show characters relationships, etc,
I think that the issue itself isn't very important, but the fact that it is being dsicussed by everyone. Not just those who may seem more informed and interested in such UNESCO/worldly matters ie Caorline and Justin. Jeannette and Dédé both respond to what they are talking about with like (I can't remember exactly) D: "L'humanité, tu parles toujours des cocos qui ont fait ça?", D: "Il avait quoi ton Gaudi?" - Justin: "Du talent" - Jeannette: "Mais les ouvriers qui travaillaient ici avaient aussi du talent" - I think my point being in this is that it shows that they are all showing involvement in the community, and that this involvement is not just on an intimate, friendly, everyday-life-issue level, but also on an intellectual and current-affairs level, malgré on different levels of awareness. (Belonging vs Alienation).

Re: BOS and finding stuff - yeah! But let's remember what Caroline said "Tout a a` voir avec tout" - perhaps meaning that anything nd everythign has meaning :p. But I have got to say whenever we had lesson days at OHS we always thought that the teacher was just completely frigging crazy whenever she proposed to us something so thin and abstract and distant as an interpretation of meaning or symbol of blablablalba... perhaps we just didn't want to try and understand - though it was hard!

I remember when doing Emma/Clueless in English, the teacher actually tried to convince us, when Tai etc were in the "Val Party", when Tai was put on th e table after having been knocked out, then subsequently revived by Elton, she then sat up, but hit a white bulbish light. Now, our English teacher then proceeded to explain how said light was 'symbolising an inner glow in Tai, as she is falling in love with Elton, and the light is indicative of her feelings' or some crap like that. Now THAT is pulling crap out of nothing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)