Extension French (Info answering the question "Should I do it?") (1 Viewer)

cranberries

show Pony
HSC
N/A
nope, thats all there is! but you know, it IS only 2 hours...but we get 10 min reading time don't we? i don't get it, how much is there to read??! i guess the extract's got a coupla lines but really...

french ext is such a wishy washy subject!

have you ever noticed that with m&J, at first you're like, oh only five extracts to learn! But then you realize that those five extracts are pretty much the entire film?!

iwanttodowellin

I agree

cranberries said:
have you ever noticed that with m&J, at first you're like, oh only five extracts to learn! But then you realize that those five extracts are pretty much the entire film?!
I totally agree cranberries. They take 5 extracts from the film (as if that narrows down the work load) and THEN they take some of the most BORING extracts...like the one where marius and co. are drunk on the wharf, etc. And on first watching Extract 5 how they were holding Jeannette down on the bed and she was screaming her piercing voice...i thought it was a murder scene or something...it was quite frightening!?!?!

Anyway, and THEN within each extract there are numerous scenes, some not short enough, some way too long...are the Board Of Studies staff who compile these papers and set the syllabus, are they just previous or current teachers or what!? Or are they just figments of my imagination?!?

chepas

HSC
poi..... said:
some not short enough, some way too long
That means exactly the same thing!! :D.

But yeah. Sometimes the extracts are just rediculously long. I mean, maybe that could have divided it into more extracts. The extracts are usually around 5 min except 4/5 which are like 15 :rolleyes: so what... 45 min of the film? (I'm going by really rough round figures). Mmmm. Looks like people have a point!

But also, that's like saying the questions like

Discuss the issue of Belonging vs Alienation in reference to this extract, as well as to the whole film.

is a really unreasonable question, as it says refer to the WHOLE film. I mean, it is a text. In theory, we were supposed to know the ENTIRE texts for English......... :rolleyes:

poi brings up a good point about who are the BOS.... I wonder who they ARE... are they just teachers who ahve been teaching for ages and sort of, Education professionals and experts etc who've done their degrees etc and...?

iwanttodowellin

Point taken...

chepas said:
That means exactly the same thing!! :D.
Point taken chepas....when I wrote that, i cringed at the fact that it didnt make sense. But i was too tired to re-read it and check it, thinking no one would bother picking it up. Well....I was wrong, to say the least.

chepas said:
...as it says refer to the WHOLE film. I mean, it is a text. In theory, we were supposed to know the ENTIRE texts for English
With those questions, where you are supposed to refer to the WHOLE film, does that mean you are able to refer to other extracts too, if they support your point? OR does it mean, using the rest of the film, not including the extracts?

chepas

HSC
lol I didn't intend to sound as dickheaded as that sorry :D.

Well I'd interpret and the way my teachers have said it is to mean that it really
is the whole film, as in all the extracts, and any other instances that fall inbetween. Basically, any points within the film that you know well, about which you can write and with which you can support your argument.

k_i_mm_i

HSC
chepas said:
is a really unreasonable question, as it says refer to the WHOLE film. I mean, it is a text. In theory, we were supposed to know the ENTIRE texts for English......... :rolleyes:QUOTE]

Yeah...it's so hard, so many things to know, and in detail too :)
u have to be "perceptive" when answering the analysis questions :confused:
like I was reading the exemplar answers and even the lowest band 's answers weren't that bad, they just weren't "perseptive"

crazy.... :mad:

chepas

HSC
My Site Update - Now includes OHS French Extension Trial 2004

^ Yeah. It's hard to know what they want! :D

In the mean time, I have posted my OHS French Extension Trial Paper, 2004 on my little resources site for those who want some more/different past papers. I have also put up my own answers to the paper, and the marks. Click here.

In the Section I Part A, For the 4th question I really thought I did OK when I did the paper, but only got a 3.5/6, so it really is the 'perception' thing. :(.

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
hey guys, ive made a bunch of notes and usefull phrases to use in the section 2 writing section, they helped me out heaps when studying for the trial so i thought u guys might want to have a look... feel free to add anything to them. they're pretty broard... :D

hmm problem.. they're in a microsoftword document.. any help getting them up here?? im on a mac btw...

chepas

HSC
You can go into 'Post Reply' and that brings up a page that allows you to post attachments, when clicking on a box called "Manage Attachments". You should be able to upload .docs. Is there a difference between Mac MS Word docs and IBM-based docs?

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
yea there is a difference. but i managed to put into something that i can upload yay :)
hope u guys find it usefull, feel free to add to it!
enjoy

chepas

HSC
C'est excellent, c'est notes-la`! Pleins de vocab très utile. :)

Merci infiniment (trop paresseux pour vérifier le spelling..)

cranberries

show Pony
HSC
N/A
i should go study some french ext instead of just aimlessy reading forums....but its SO boring!!!!

its odd chepas, how in your trial you got two diff extracts, i hope they don't do that on fri :(

chepas

HSC
Yeah it's a bit spastic. It was really good though cos I'd only finished the packages of work up to Extract 4 so it worked out well, Extracts 3 and 4 were fresh in the head!

I'd prefer if there were a few little extracts like that, rather than one big huge one, as more spread over all the Extracts then makes us think about the film as a whole rather than just the extracts.

k_i_mm_i

HSC
nondil,

merci beaucoup pour ton aide!!...je trouves tes idees tres utiles. et dis donc, tu n'es pas en terminale cette annee et tu fais le francais ext...c'est incroyable!~ Moi, je crois que le frx et un des sujets les plus difficiles a l'ecole.

Bonne chance avec tes etudes l'annee prochaine et j'espere que tu reussiras en bac (et tout le monde aussi bien sur)

A propos, I dunno how I got into here but this seems to be OLMC's intranet, and they provide their students with the exemplar package...:) Chek it out, except the speaking doesn't work..damn

http://www.boredofstudies.org/mirror/Standards/2002/LOTE/FRENCH/EXT/index.html

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
not a problem kim, glad its useful to you! :)
Frx est assez difficile pour moi, je dois travailler beaucoup, mais je suis premier dans ma classe, donc je suis content :D

nice site with the examplar stuf, thanks alot! some freaky work there lol

omg_a

HSC
*sigh* i really am the only one doing au revoir!!

for study, i go over definitiions of key issues ie racism, tolerance. watch the film. erm. i havent started yet, but i'll tell you what i do when i do. and obviously making sure you know the grammar. i know which extract i want, the one from my trials with bonnet in the church during choir time. fingers crossed!

k_i_mm_i

HSC
Ohh...poor omg_a :) :) :)

I wonder why your school didn't choose M+J, it's quite a good film. I heard that they provided Au revoir for the schools that are more conservative..cos apparently M+J has a love scene and too many sexual innuendos...ahaha
I'm finding studying for frx so stressful...this is worse than any subject ever. So much to study for and such hgh level of french is expected...but MEH...it's my last exam. CANT WAIT TO FINISH!!!!

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
lol, it is quite hard to study for isn't it...
last exam eh? lucky you! ive got quite a bit more school after this haha, ill live lol
anyway, i think i need to go watch the film now :D

chepas

HSC
Sexual innuendi in M+J? On rêve! Oh, when Marius was drunk in the pub and pulled his pants down a lot going "Il faut baisser son pantalon" or something. And, always in philosophical mode, Justin's little rant about "On est tous des pédés, des arabes, des juifs, des nègres...." - but still, sheltered! It's not that bad at all...

(Does anyone know, in M+J, the bit of dialogue between Malek and Marius where Marius tells a joke, and everyone laughs, but I really don't get it! It's right before Extract 1 and it's been making me angry forever.

Malek: Je peux peindre, mam?
Jeannette: Va faire tes devoirs [...]
Malek: Il faut avoir un bac pour peindre?
Marius: Oui, surtout pour tapisser.
Malek: Quel bac?
Marius: Le bac pour la colle...

I really don't get it. "Colle" in the dico refers to the process when you put wallpaper up, but I fail to see its significance here. Qqun peut me donner une explications svp?

Re: OLMC's hosting of the standards packages. I think BOS (as in our cher Bored...) actually has an arrangement with them by some divine intervention. Good 'ey :D.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)