Extension 2 English, Extension History or both? (1 Viewer)

MarnzBarnz

HSC
Hi Friends,

Just considering my subject options for next year... or more accurately next term. Scary stuff.

I'm currently doing the following subjects:

French Continuers
Agriculture
Modern History
Advanced English
Extension 1 English
Legal Studies
Mathematics
= 13 Units.
So I have known since the beginning of the year I am wanting to drop Maths. I hate the subject . am not motivated to put any effort into it, and know it will not be an integral aspect of whatever uni degree I choose.

However I now have to consider what subjects to drop/keep/add for the Year 12 course.

I'm doing very well in Legal Studies- getting full marks- I go to a competitive school so this is an achievement (in my eyes at least).
Advanced and Extension are a breeze (full marks here too) and it's a similar story with Agriculture.

On the other hand I have really fallen behind this year in French. The first assessment I was close to full marks, but I bombed out completely on reading and writing, barely passing. I'm becoming less confident in my abilities and loosing interest which is disappointing because I have been pursuing the subject for 9 years and feel having a language could be useful for my future and it also opens up options for Uni courses (such as International Studies).

So now for the decision...
I can either keep French and pick up EITHER Ext 2 Eng. or Ext. History (however I would like to do both... has anyone got advice on how much workload is involved with juggling both Ext History and Ext 2? ) = 12 Units

Or I can drop French and do both Ext's meaning I would have 11 units for the HSC. I have been told it's best to have 12 Units for safety and that both Ext's are quite essay heavy (however this is where I feel the most confident).

I actually have no set goal for my ATAR however I would be stoked to get anywhere between 95-98.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Wow I must say you're marks throughout this year are amazing :D

As for your decision I recommend you stick with what you're better at

So I think you drop drop French and pick up both Extensions meaning you'll have 11 units

If you feel as if that becomes too much to handle I guess you could always drop extension history and go back to Modern leaving you with 10 units

You're better off getting advice from people who have already done this combination before so I suggest that you should post this in the HSC related thread section

I hope this helps :D

And good luck :D

enoilgam

HSC
From what you have said, I'd drop French. If you arent doing well in it then it really isnt worth keeping - you can always revisit it either at uni or outside of uni (language courses are much cheaper outside of uni but that is another issue altogether). Having extra units is a good safety net provided that you are doing consistently well across all subjects. But if you are doing poorly in the extra units compared to your other subjects, then they are unlikely to count and hence a waste to keep.

All that being said, keep French for the first term of the HSC to see what the HSC course is like - things can change once you start Year 12. However, if you are still doing poorly after exam one, then drop it.

Axio

=o
HSC
From what you have said, I'd drop French. If you arent doing well in it then it really isnt worth keeping - you can always revisit it either at uni or outside of uni (language courses are much cheaper outside of uni but that is another issue altogether). Having extra units is a good safety net provided that you are doing consistently well across all subjects. But if you are doing poorly in the extra units compared to your other subjects, then they are unlikely to count and hence a waste to keep.

All that being said, keep French for the first term of the HSC to see what the HSC course is like - things can change once you start Year 12. However, if you are still doing poorly after exam one, then drop it.
I agree with this. Go into year 12 with french and the intention to drop it if your marks don't improve. And that does not at all mean don't try in it because then you may as well just drop it now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)