English - Creative - How many stories? (1 Viewer)

mckensara

HSC
so what are the basic elements that a story needs to have?

the introduction/setting of the scene and characters
complication
resolution?

Allisonius

HSC

complication
resolution?
Yep.
None of those aspects should e left out if you are looking to acheive a high mark for creative writing.

Although the introduction of the scene and characters in a short story often happens as the text progresses.
Like, we are not introduced to the full character at the start of it like in primary school narrative: "Sally was a pretty girl, she was 18 and had long brown hair and green eyes. She liked ponies and butterflies and skipping through feilds."

Also with character and setting introductions in exam short stories, I find it helps only to introduce aspects of the setting and character that are essential to the story (with setting that includes creating atmosphere). The markers don't need to know about what your characetr had for breakfast if it doesn't add to the plot/development of character.

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

complication
resolution?
Yupo, just like in year 2 - orientation, complication and resolution.

There can however be a series of complications and resolutions :)

Allisonius

HSC
Yupo, just like in year 2 - orientation, complication and resolution.

There can however be a series of complications and resolutions :)
Yeah, and after you resolve the complication of your story, you can introduce a new one to leave the audience hanging at the end.
I love doing that x]

mckensara

HSC
Thanks guys, i will have to write a better ending to my planned creative. Throughout the whole things it’s just introspection on the loss of identity of the character after he was responsible for a car crash. It uses the extended metaphor of a stage production throughout it and at the moment ends with

“all the words a stage”.
The character is all that is left of me.

But it doesn't actually “conclude” as such :p

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Yeah, and after you resolve the complication of your story, you can introduce a new one to leave the audience hanging at the end.
I love doing that x]
Like never ending soapies :p

Thanks guys, i will have to write a better ending to my planned creative. Throughout the whole things it’s just introspection on the loss of identity of the character after he was responsible for a car crash. It uses the extended metaphor of a stage production throughout it and at the moment ends with

“all the words a stage”.
The character is all that is left of me.

But it doesn't actually “conclude” as such :p
Sounds like a good story - just be sure that your ending isn't too abrupt/too slow. It took me ages until i was satisfied with my ending, but mine has a great twist XD

eldore44

Facebook is better.
HSC
I dont have one prepared.
at all.
I dont even know what i wrote in the trials or half yearlies.
I hate english.

The only bit of advice I have remembered about story writing is 'show, dont tell'.
As obvious as it is, instead of saying hes angry, say he clenched his fists. stuff like that.

sheizaminelli

HSC
they wouldn't ask for something crazy like a newspaper article on belonging or something....
right?

absorber

HSC
One. Kinda. Haven't written it since the trial though, it's not long enough and I'm horrible at creative. I'm good at english, I'm fine with the essays, really. But creative is just unbearable, and it's only about 15% of the marks, a 10-12 mark is fine with me

septic.

HSC
I've got 1 story that is my first choice to use in the exam, due to the fact it got full marks in the trials and also it's only 660 words, so I can write it in about 25 minutes -- more time for essay.
But since I did short stories for Extension 2, I have one which fits into the concept of belonging, that I can fall back onto. Definitely one of the more convenient aspects of choosing Extension 2 English...
So I have two :)

juhi-

HSC
i only have one but the one i have is easy to adapt so that works for me
its fairly long though :shy:

Schoey93

HSC
I only have one story, but it is quite adaptable and has around 900 words. It should be as long enough to make your story convincing, but not too long that you can't write it.

Techniques? You would have subconsciously included lots of techniques if you write well. Of course originiality would give you a higher mark but you can have a stereotypical story and get a high mark if you write well.

Yes. True that. But!! I do not agree that you can just "write well" and get a good mark (unless you mean, 75%). To get 76+ or approx 12/13+ out of 15; you need to have that flair - which has to be either developed, or conditioned by your environment (parents/siblings/friends).

Schoey93

HSC

complication
resolution?
Yes, that is the LINEAR structure of a narrative.

It goes:

Orientation/Intro
Complication
Climax
Resolution.

BUT!! You also need, for a GOOD, 100% narrative:

Flair (introduction of seamless, "flowing" writing)
:hippie:
That's all...:)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Yes. True that. But!! I do not agree that you can just "write well" and get a good mark (unless you mean, 75%). To get 76+ or approx 12/13+ out of 15; you need to have that flair - which has to be either developed, or conditioned by your environment (parents/siblings/friends).
That's what i mean by write well lol.

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
Just have two thorough ones prepared, and adapt to the stimulus. Remember the stimulus shouldnt be your central idea neccesarily, just woven in here and there with a strong idea of "Belonging" tied in.

zehrag

HSC
^^

I'd cry if i were you.
LOL, I did advanced english in year 11 and ranked 38 out of 65, so i figured in year 12 i'll drop to standard. I never study, or have ever completed reading some of the related text (tom brennan). I make up things on the spot and basically thats it.

I have no idea how this has happened but im 4th out of 91 students after the trials. WTF!!??? so i figure I do well when i dont study for english :)

So......i think actually preparing something earlier for me actually confuses me even more. I just come up with it on the spot :)

27GV

HSC
Just the one, and I rather love it. I've written it out four times in the last week. :eek:

I think it says everything I wanted to say about belonging. So I just know they will ask for a text type that I can't adapt it for.

Wispybadboy

HSC
hey all,

Just a question, reckon u might get "capped" marks if your creative writing is too short? My creative is round 4ooish words. Is that too short?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)