english advanced raw marks for mid 90s aligned (1 Viewer)

chevlr

HSC
hey guys, i was wondering what my chances are for getting a mid 90s hsc mark for english advanced. i go to baulko, and my overall rank is 47/195 (86% mark overall), but my trial mark was 93.5/105. i lost a lot of marks on my mod b essay (15/20), but i'm improving that atm so going off my trial mark i believe i could get 96/105 in externals, as long as the exam setters don't troll everyone (snric better not pull some tricky shit on us :p)
the top overall mark in my grade was 97%, and my trial mark of 93.5/105 was ranked 30th in the grade if that helps. the average for the trial was 79%, but i think more than half the grade was over that (i.e. some ppl fucked up bad). i know a lot of baulko ppl (i.e. michaeljennings) have been going on about how bad our tail is, but considering that their internal marks would be a lot lower than everyone else's, that shouldn't affect the top marks that much, shouldn't it? cos moderation takes into account differences in marks right?

my aim is to get 94 hsc mark, though i know my internal will be lower than that.
does anyone know what the conversions were for 2010 and 2009? I know that around 82/105 gives a 90, and around 95/105 gives around a 96, but if you know all the conversions for band 6 marks that'd be much appreciated => i'd have something to aim for in the externals
and please don't say it changes every year... that advice kinda sucks, plus i figured the english aligning would probably be a bit more stable than other subjects.

michaeljennings

HSC
i know a lot of baulko ppl (i.e. michaeljennings) have been going on about how bad our tail is, but considering that their internal marks would be a lot lower than everyone else's, that shouldn't affect the top marks that much, shouldn't it? cos moderation takes into account differences in marks right?
What is considered the 'top marks' cos I dont wanna be dragged down by people who do not try

chevlr

HSC
What is considered the 'top marks' cos I dont wanna be dragged down by people who do not try
haha of course you're the first to reply :D
by top marks i meant the top half of our grade (i.e. those who'll get band 6)

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
get 96-97/105 and you should be able to get 94-95 overall. so you have a good chance.

btw, pm who you are please =)

tambam

HSC
also getting 96/105 in hsc is difficult considering how strictly they mark.
Our trials were externally marked by hsc markers, so it should be at least relatively reflective of the marks we'll get in the hsc.

chevlr

HSC
also getting 96/105 in hsc is difficult considering how strictly they mark.
yeh i guess that's true, i'm keeping that in mind. it's just that we were marked by external hsc markers for our trial, i was just going off that (trying to aim high :D)

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
okay well HSC marking is probably harder than baulko marking.
only like top 30 get 95+

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
btw, they weren't really "external markers", in that they were closely associated to the school and had to consider things like we rushed mod C etc
So I doubt it was marked to HSC standard.
I'm hoping for 95/105 although i got 98/105

chevlr

HSC
btw, they weren't really "external markers", in that they were closely associated to the school and had to consider things like we rushed mod C etc
So I doubt it was marked to HSC standard.
I'm hoping for 95/105 although i got 98/105
i'm just hoping for a 96 external mark, and my tutor always makes out that our school marks harder than hsc. i figured the area of study paper would be marked easier, since we'd be compared to all the standard kids. but yeh i agree some of the assessments were marked pretty easy, i need to do so much work on module b :S

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
I think ~60 people got 90+/105 and if that were true 60 people would get a final 95 hsc mark.
Last year's cohort were epic at english and still only managed 35. We are definitely sub-last year's level, maybe around ~25-30.

chevlr

HSC
I think ~60 people got 90+/105 and if that were true 60 people would get a final 95 hsc mark.
Last year's cohort were epic at english and still only managed 35. We are definitely sub-last year's level, maybe around ~25-30.
jeez why don't they tell us all this??? o_O kk i think i'm gonna have to start massively studying for english advanced now. i guess i just underestimated how hard they marked in hsc, especially after hearing about a girl who could speak english that got 98 for advanced...

princess112

HSC
hey i was just wondering, doesn't the raw mark conversion vary from year to year based on the exam i mean last year's english paper wasn't exactly one of the BOS's easy english papers so does this mean we can look at last years process as an indication or will it be completely different for our hsc

enoilgam

HSC
hey i was just wondering, doesn't the raw mark conversion vary from year to year based on the exam i mean last year's english paper wasn't exactly one of the BOS's easy english papers so does this mean we can look at last years process as an indication or will it be completely different for our hsc
Raw marks can vary significantly from year to year. It could be very similar or completely different for this years HSC, just use previous raw mark conversions as a guide.

determine

Premium Member
HSC
I ended up with a final mark of 96 for advanced, but after applying for my raw marks, I got 95.5 in the HSC exam raw, so I think it just depends. If you're aiming for mid 90s, you should be aiming for at least 91-92/105 in the final exam, and you would be surprised how hard they do mark in the HSC because remember, youre now being compared right across the state which means you're going to be compared to some quite poor students but some fantastic ones too. Hope that helps! :)

goobi

HSC
jeez why don't they tell us all this??? o_O kk i think i'm gonna have to start massively studying for english advanced now. i guess i just underestimated how hard they marked in hsc, especially after hearing about a girl who could speak english that got 98 for advanced...
Do you mean there was a girl who could not speak English got 98 for Advanced English?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)