Engineering/Law (1 Viewer)

riots

HSC
N/A
I didn't know which subforum this belonged to, so I just dumped it here (mods, feel free to move it to whichever you feel appropriate).

Anyway, I was wondering if there was any benefit to doing this double degree? I've been considering it recently but I can't think of a concrete reason to pick it over engineering/commerce and vice versa.

I'm looking to do it at UNSW, btw.

What do you think? Pros/cons?

apollo1

Banned
HSC
I didn't know which subforum this belonged to, so I just dumped it here (mods, feel free to move it to whichever you feel appropriate).

Anyway, I was wondering if there was any benefit to doing this double degree? I've been considering it recently but I can't think of a concrete reason to pick it over engineering/commerce and vice versa.

I'm looking to do it at UNSW, btw.

What do you think? Pros/cons?
dont do engineering/commerce. i was originally considering that but ppl on bos and my careers advisor at skool strongly recommended against it.
also i havent really heard too many ppl doin engo/law so maybe that isnt a worthwhile degree either.

fiesycal

HSC
dont do engineering/commerce. i was originally considering that but ppl on bos and my careers advisor at skool strongly recommended against it.
also i havent really heard too many ppl doin engo/law so maybe that isnt a worthwhile degree either.
It all well and good to give advice but what's the reason for not doing eng/comm? You can't just say something without backing it up with some sort of logical thought.

riots

HSC
N/A
You can't just say something without backing it up with some sort of logical thought.
This man speaks the truth.

From what I've gathered, engineering/commerce is quite a worthwhile double and its popularity is testament to that. What were the reasons against eng/comm did your careers advisor proposed?

enoilgam

HSC
I dont know if engineering/law is a good combo because they dont mesh nor do they compliment each other. Like, when people do law/commerce, they do it because the business degree can help them as lawyers, whilst a law degree can help them if they go into the business sector. However, in saying that, with engineering law, you will have two radically different career paths to choose from at the end of your degree. In a sense, you can go where the demand is or where your passion is.

jangbang69

HSC
N/A
enoilgam's right, the only reason you'd opt for a double degree would be to widen your potential for graduate+ jobs, and in this case the two degrees would have to complement each other

otherwise you'd be trying to go down two completely different pathways and will have to choose one or the other - not both

personally i was going to go for eng/com, but realised engineering was my passion

but you could choose eng/law and after first semester you should have a good idea of which pathway you hold a stronger partiality towards

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
In my opinion, the reason why Engineering/Law combinations are so rare is because noone does Engineering, and then tacks on a Law double degree. They usually choose Law as their core, and then pick their combined degree - either Science, Arts, Commerce etc etc. And of the choices, Engineering is not only difficult, but it would result in insane contact hours.

izzy88

HSC
One place where law and engineering can go together is for IP and Patent law - most people in that area (lawyers or not) have engineering or science degrees - so they can complement each other.

However it isn't a popular combination - i think a mix of high contact hours, and the fact that engineering can also lead to a set career path, means most people don't feel the need to add on a law degree - do you want to be a lawyer or an engineer? If you aren't certain, you could do both for a year and see what you like, but I reckon if you aren't certain about either degree (law or engineering) it might be difficult to complete both of them.

Last edited:

riots

HSC
N/A
Alright, thanks guys. Looks like I may not be doing eng/law, unless I still can't make up my mind.

You can represent yourself if your bridge falls apart.
I was almost sold for a moment there.

apollo1

Banned
HSC
apollo1 could you please explain why people told you not to do engineering/comm?
mainly it was about the workload. i had a thread about this a while back and the general consensus was that engo and comm dont really complement each other and the workload is too great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)