ENGG1000 Projects (1 Viewer)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
ah *sigh* ENGG1000. tbh I don't really like this subject that much. :/
Me either; I think it would be more beneficial if we had this subject in later years when we actually knew something about "engineering" rather than straight out of high school, or in your case from another degree, where we can just make reasonably accurate assumptions about stuff

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Come back with a D or HD; then we'll talk
Been there, done that...

This course and the computing courses are more reflective of the later year courses. The later year courses are nothing like the first year math/physics ones.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Been there, done that...

This course and the computing courses are more reflective of the later year courses. The later year courses are nothing like the first year math/physics ones.
my bad; I assumed you were first year. what engineering do/did you do? really will COMPXXXX subjects get worse?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Me either; I think it would be more beneficial if we had this subject in later years when we actually knew something about "engineering" rather than straight out of high school, or in your case from another degree, where we can just make reasonably accurate assumptions about stuff
I dont study at UNSW, but I did a similar subject in first year and another in second year and will have more subjects with big group assignments throughout the course. I'm sure it's more or less the same at UNSW.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I dont study at UNSW, but I did a similar subject in first year and another in second year and will have more subjects with big group assignments throughout the course. I'm sure it's more or less the same at UNSW.
thanks for that. from what I've seen/heard/read about; it apparently is less because most of the subjects are maths and whatnot which really dont require group work and out comp lecturer said that at unsw you will very rarely have comp group tasks because they're trying to prep us for the real world.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
out comp lecturer said that at unsw you will very rarely have comp group tasks because they're trying to prep us for the real world.
I currently work in the industry, even if it's just code reviews - you will be working collaboratively!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
You can't have one person working on a code base with millions of lines of code, and companies/teams don't like having a single person alone familiar with the code base as it's bound to be a nightmare if they ever leave.

When you are working in a team, the styles diverge and eventually result in a close to homogenous style and there are sometimes best ways of doing things anyway (i.e. design patterns). There is still plenty of room for different ways of doing things and that is fine, as long as it doesn't force anyone elses design elsewhere.

I work in C# and what some people write is very close to Java, but others heavily use newer features added to c# over the years some of which draw from functional programing like LINQ and delegates (pretty much closures). I started off as the former coming from Java in uni but have been shifting to the other camp from seeing how some others write code.

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
You can't have one person working on a code base with millions of lines of code, and companies/teams don't like having a single person alone familiar with the code base as it's bound to be a nightmare if they ever leave.

When you are working in a team, the styles diverge and eventually result in a close to homogenous style and there are sometimes best ways of doing things anyway (i.e. design patterns). There is still plenty of room for different ways of doing things and that is fine, as long as it doesn't force anyone elses design elsewhere.

I work in C# and what some people write is very close to Java, but others heavily use newer features added to c# over the years some of which draw from functional programing like LINQ and delegates (pretty much closures). I started off as the latter coming from Java in uni but have been shifting to the other camp from seeing how some others write code.
ooohh i can see that now. I am learning C now at uni and the longest program ive every written is about 150 lines and that did take a lot of time. i can see a million lines of code would be even worse!

i would think that different people have different "styles" of coding. for example my lecturer writes int main (void) whereas i like to write the whole thing int argc whatever and i indent usually 4 spaces and others use tab and what not.

i guess it really doesn't matter because the consumer doesn't see it anyway

and i also ask a question? is there an easy way to debug? i miss semicolons and forget to put & when scanning and it takes forever to figure out what ive done wrong

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yeah, it's very humbling to go from a couple of hundred lines of code over a few files to something huge.

When it comes to formatting, any good team/company will follow a standard - typically good practice for that whole language. That does include how indenting style and how to tab, but even stuff like naming conventions - there is a whole chapter on it in Code Complete! The interesting thing I found was that in uni the lecturers liked to use compact syntax by omitting braces where possible and stuff like that, but where I work that is considered bad practice as it could cause an oversight or some stupid mistake.

As for debugging, don't know sorry. For the past few years i've usually had the luxury of using compilers which point out syntactic errors, and use VS predominantly now which has a fairly feature rich debugger.

Anyway, I think only half the people in this thread are CompSci/SE majors so rather than hijacking this thread - if you have any other questions just pm me.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah i think an increased cooperating between workers is essential; most of us are just straight out of high school and don't know how to properly and formally do these things (talk to people, how to approach someone, etc)

thanks; i might take you up on that.

ENGG1000 bitching resume.....

D94

HSC
N/A
The work and group work in ENGG1000 is nothing compared to MMAN1130 or MMAN2100.

And I'm sure there will be more work in later year design courses.

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
The work and group work in ENGG1000 is nothing compared to MMAN1130 or MMAN2100.

And I'm sure there will be more work in later year design courses.
tbh, i dont really like the design part; but rather the mechanics behind it.

Hey D94; what do you think of my semester 2 subject selections:

MATH1241
MMAN1300
COMP1921 (Elective)
CHEM1021/MATH1081/Something else

math and man are compolsary and COMP1921 is a presequite for COMP2121 but i am unsure about what i should do as my other elective. the handbook said i should choose chem but i really dont want to lol

D94

HSC
N/A
You can any from that list for your first year engineering electives. I did SOLA1070 and MINE1010. If you have no preference just choose one that works well with your timetable. Obviously you should have a slight interest at least but other than that, it doesn't matter.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
You can any from that list for your first year engineering electives. I did SOLA1070 and MINE1010. If you have no preference just choose one that works well with your timetable. Obviously you should have a slight interest at least but other than that, it doesn't matter.
thats good to hear. A lot of people were saying that you must choose with your program and others were saying just choose the most piss easy one. That's why i was thinking of taking CHEM1001. SOLA1070 does seem interesting though...

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
What kind of engineering job involves little collaboration?

Because last time I checked most engineering firms require many engineers to work together (You see Mechanical's, Electrical's and Chemical's working together in power generation systems for example).

The aim of the course ENGG1000 is primarily aimed as a taste of what small scale project design is. It also works as an introduction to learning the language of certain communication techniques in the field of engineering.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
What kind of engineering job involves little collaboration?

Because last time I checked most engineering firms require many engineers to work together (You see Mechanical's, Electrical's and Chemical's working together in power generation systems for example).

The aim of the course ENGG1000 is primarily aimed as a taste of what small scale project design is. It also works as an introduction to learning the language of certain communication techniques in the field of engineering.
i agree 100% that engineering involved a lot of collaboration (unless one specalises in electrical, chemical, and every major). But 1st year wouldn't be a good idea to introduce this concept but rather would be more beneficial in maybe late 2nd/3rd year when people are more willing and motivated. EG; my group does not give the slightest fuck about how our robot will "negotiate the hill" and i assume 2 or them will drop out one for other interest and one because he does not understand well anything. Good thing is that the course isn't that serious

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
i agree 100% that engineering involved a lot of collaboration (unless one specalises in electrical, chemical, and every major). But 1st year wouldn't be a good idea to introduce this concept but rather would be more beneficial in maybe late 2nd/3rd year when people are more willing and motivated. EG; my group does not give the slightest fuck about how our robot will "negotiate the hill" and i assume 2 or them will drop out one for other interest and one because he does not understand well anything. Good thing is that the course isn't that serious

Even if you know everything there is to every single engineering discipline, you still need collaboration. There are many assessments in a design which many different engineers must test in different ways. This re-iterates the point that Brent made with the coding.

Honestly, my friend introduced me to his friend whom had not turned up to a single lecture for the course we had a test for. I got introduced right before our exam for that course when the guy was asking us about questions lol.

People like this make up the majority of drop-outs in engineering I would say.

In 2nd and 3rd year this type of stuff is usually done but in simulation form or labs (2nd) or assignments (3rd year you get to do some amazing things), etc.

In 3rd year there is this assignment I have to do involving a complex machine that does many things based on how you wire it all up.

So not trying in ENGG1000 begs the question: Will you try in later project designs and be bothered to try your best and do well in it?

If you won't bother with project and design work in the future, you should be doing a research/science program instead. (I'm not talking about you, because you genuinely care about your project as from your posts, but those in your group who are not bothered to do anything should ask themselves this question).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)