ENGG1000 Projects (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Yeah, it's very humbling to go from a couple of hundred lines of code over a few files to something huge.

When it comes to formatting, any good team/company will follow a standard - typically good practice for that whole language. That does include how indenting style and how to tab, but even stuff like naming conventions - there is a whole chapter on it in Code Complete! The interesting thing I found was that in uni the lecturers liked to use compact syntax by omitting braces where possible and stuff like that, but where I work that is considered bad practice as it could cause an oversight or some stupid mistake.

As for debugging, don't know sorry. For the past few years i've usually had the luxury of using compilers which point out syntactic errors, and use VS predominantly now which has a fairly feature rich debugger.

Anyway, I think only half the people in this thread are CompSci/SE majors so rather than hijacking this thread - if you have any other questions just pm me.
An example of problems regarding bad style because they did not use braces (Apple SSL bug):

. . .
hashOut.data = hashes + SSL_MD5_DIGEST_LEN;
hashOut.length = SSL_SHA1_DIGEST_LEN;
if ((err = SSLFreeBuffer(&hashCtx)) != 0)
goto fail;
if ((err = ReadyHash(&SSLHashSHA1, &hashCtx)) != 0)
goto fail;
if ((err = SSLHashSHA1.update(&hashCtx, &clientRandom)) != 0)
goto fail;
if ((err = SSLHashSHA1.update(&hashCtx, &serverRandom)) != 0)
goto fail;
if ((err = SSLHashSHA1.update(&hashCtx, &signedParams)) != 0)
goto fail;
goto fail; /* MISTAKE! THIS LINE SHOULD NOT BE HERE. IT GETS EXECUTED WITHOUT ANY IF CONDITION*/
if ((err = SSLHashSHA1.final(&hashCtx, &hashOut)) != 0)
goto fail;

err = sslRawVerify(...);
. . .

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...s-ssl-bug-explained-plus-an-unofficial-patch/

Back to the thread

ENGG1000 isn't that great but don't miss out on the easy marks such as CPR.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Even if you know everything there is to every single engineering discipline, you still need collaboration. There are many assessments in a design which many different engineers must test in different ways. This re-iterates the point that Brent made with the coding.

Honestly, my friend introduced me to his friend whom had not turned up to a single lecture for the course we had a test for. I got introduced right before our exam for that course when the guy was asking us about questions lol.

People like this make up the majority of drop-outs in engineering I would say.

In 2nd and 3rd year this type of stuff is usually done but in simulation form or labs (2nd) or assignments (3rd year you get to do some amazing things), etc.

In 3rd year there is this assignment I have to do involving a complex machine that does many things based on how you wire it all up.

So not trying in ENGG1000 begs the question: Will you try in later project designs and be bothered to try your best and do well in it?

If you won't bother with project and design work in the future, you should be doing a research/science program instead. (I'm not talking about you, because you genuinely care about your project as from your posts, but those in your group who are not bothered to do anything should ask themselves this question).
i agree; people that are too "flexible" (ie skip lectures and only attend tutorials for attendance) should not be in engineering (or university for that matter).

i guess so that having more interesting projects in later years is better. i think it's because most of the people in my group are doing other streams like civil and chemical and only chose this one because of their poor time management (i choose this one because i liked it and i want to do this some day).

hopefully by 3rd year people are interested in stuff as i am (ie mech engineers w/ mech engineers designing some robot thingy)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
An example of problems regarding bad style because they did not use braces (Apple SSL bug):

. . .
hashOut.data = hashes + SSL_MD5_DIGEST_LEN;
hashOut.length = SSL_SHA1_DIGEST_LEN;
if ((err = SSLFreeBuffer(&hashCtx)) != 0)
goto fail;
if ((err = ReadyHash(&SSLHashSHA1, &hashCtx)) != 0)
goto fail;
if ((err = SSLHashSHA1.update(&hashCtx, &clientRandom)) != 0)
goto fail;
if ((err = SSLHashSHA1.update(&hashCtx, &serverRandom)) != 0)
goto fail;
if ((err = SSLHashSHA1.update(&hashCtx, &signedParams)) != 0)
goto fail;
goto fail; /* MISTAKE! THIS LINE SHOULD NOT BE HERE. IT GETS EXECUTED WITHOUT ANY IF CONDITION*/
if ((err = SSLHashSHA1.final(&hashCtx, &hashOut)) != 0)
goto fail;

err = sslRawVerify(...);
. . .

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...s-ssl-bug-explained-plus-an-unofficial-patch/

Back to the thread

ENGG1000 isn't that great but don't miss out on the easy marks such as CPR.
do you like my C code? it prints out a bird:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(void) {
printf(" ___\n");
printf(" ('v')\n");
printf("((___))\n");
printf(" ^ ^\n");

return 0;
}

flawless code

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
i agree; people that are too "flexible" (ie skip lectures and only attend tutorials for attendance) should not be in engineering (or university for that matter).

i guess so that having more interesting projects in later years is better. i think it's because most of the people in my group are doing other streams like civil and chemical and only chose this one because of their poor time management (i choose this one because i liked it and i want to do this some day).

hopefully by 3rd year people are interested in stuff as i am (ie mech engineers w/ mech engineers designing some robot thingy)
I as not implying that the people who skip lectures and stuff shouldn't be in engineering. I was implying that the guy I was referring to literally had no idea because he was not bothered and said he probably will cut the double degree of comm/eng to just do comm.

That's just bad luck I guess. Hopefully I get in a group of like minded individuals (in fact my close friends all opted to go for the same one next semester so that we might be lucky enough to somehow group up with each other, and even if we don't, we can just ask each other questions regardless of being in different groups).

Yeah that should definitely happen quite a bit later on for us anyway.

HSC
N/A
do you like my C code? it prints out a bird:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(void) {
printf(" ___\n");
printf(" ('v')\n");
printf("((___))\n");
printf(" ^ ^\n");

return 0;
}

flawless code

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
printf(" ___\n"
" ('v')\n"
"((___))\n"
" ^ ^\n");

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

More readable and efficient :p

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I as not implying that the people who skip lectures and stuff shouldn't be in engineering. I was implying that the guy I was referring to literally had no idea because he was not bothered and said he probably will cut the double degree of comm/eng to just do comm.

That's just bad luck I guess. Hopefully I get in a group of like minded individuals (in fact my close friends all opted to go for the same one next semester so that we might be lucky enough to somehow group up with each other, and even if we don't, we can just ask each other questions regardless of being in different groups).

Yeah that should definitely happen quite a bit later on for us anyway.
i think you've misunderstood because of my bad english. People who dont skip lectures are bad, people who don't put in effort shouldn't be at university (it sounded fine in my head)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

printf(" ___\n"
" ('v')\n"
"((___))\n"
" ^ ^\n");

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

More readable and efficient :p
we could also cut out most of the lines:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

for (;;) { //huehuehue
printf(" ___\n ('v')\n((___))\n ^ ^\n");
}

return EXIT_SUCCESS;

Edit ignore the wink thing; it is meant to be a semi-colon and right bracket

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
i think you've misunderstood because of my bad english. People who dont skip lectures are bad, people who don't put in effort shouldn't be at university (it sounded fine in my head)
There are people who skip lectures and do get HD's (I knew someone who did that for one subject, but went to lectures of everything else).

Reason being though is that the lectures were useless to that person.

Btw, your English is perfectly fine lol :)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
There are people who skip lectures and do get HD's (I knew someone who did that for one subject, but went to lectures of everything else).

Reason being though is that the lectures were useless to that person.

Btw, your English is perfectly fine lol :)
I did that with physics; i didn't find Joe wolfe that good (he did 1 or 2 questions and called it a day) but now apparently we have someone new teaching us thermo and waves so it's not like it can get any worse lol.

are you sure? I did get a band 4 lol

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I did that with physics; i didn't find Joe wolfe that good (he did 1 or 2 questions and called it a day) but now apparently we have someone new teaching us thermo and waves so it's not like it can get any worse lol.

are you sure? I did get a band 4 lol
B4 engobro's!!!

Now that's true belonging for ya.

HSC
N/A
thanks for that. from what I've seen/heard/read about; it apparently is less because most of the subjects are maths and whatnot which really dont require group work and out comp lecturer said that at unsw you will very rarely have comp group tasks because they're trying to prep us for the real world.
i think groupwork that i am experiencing now at UNSW is not reflective of the real world. first of all the real world is high stakes. it requires lots of money and all team members are obviously are keen and motivated. contrast that with first year group work, some fresh from highschool kids just dont have the motivation to do the group work. they would rather explore and party than bothering working on technical stuff

HSC
N/A
sorry guys for ranting i just want to unload.

for our design proposal (which is due on may 2) our group decided to finish each assigned tasks on saturday so that come sunday the mentor can check it. on saturday, 2 people just submitted their HALF BAKED work. today, one of my groupmembers just sent her work and it is just irrelevant of what is required of her task. from her work, it seems that she is extremely clueless of whats going on. her work is 2 pages worth of trash. i still have 2 group members not submitting their work. Am i just over the top? my groupmates are obviously not taking this seriously. i have been doing my best to ace this course. this groupwork crap can bring my grades down. i really dont know what to do.

any suggestions?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
i think groupwork that i am experiencing now at UNSW is not reflective of the real world. first of all the real world is high stakes. it requires lots of money and all team members are obviously are keen and motivated. contrast that with first year group work, some fresh from highschool kids just dont have the motivation to do the group work. they would rather explore and party than bothering working on technical stuff
+1; 100% agree. People in my group usually pretend to be sick/have some important unexpected thing come up and offer the excuse that "sorry guyz, cant make it this week". i mean really if you can't take 2 hours a week out of your scheduled time, c'mon. (BTW; since no-one was meeting up; i decided to go get subway and i saw her and her friends at boost lol)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
sorry guys for ranting i just want to unload.

for our design proposal (which is due on may 2) our group decided to finish each assigned tasks on saturday so that come sunday the mentor can check it. on saturday, 2 people just submitted their HALF BAKED work. today, one of my groupmembers just sent her work and it is just irrelevant of what is required of her task. from her work, it seems that she is extremely clueless of whats going on. her work is 2 pages worth of trash. i still have 2 group members not submitting their work. Am i just over the top? my groupmates are obviously not taking this seriously. i have been doing my best to ace this course. this groupwork crap can bring my grades down. i really dont know what to do.

any suggestions?
mentor checks it on sunday?!?!?!?!?! i thought it the only time you're with your mentor is during the sessions + by email if s/he gave it to you.

tbh; what im just going to do is submit my work to the best of my ability and we "agreed" that i will "stitch the work together". so i'll just look over their parts and fix what i can (unless they wrote their section better than hawking's PhD) and submit it.

Just mention in the end your teammates were just as useless as a red light in GTA (iirc, you're meant to review your team mates)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
If this is happening now, then maybe it will be better in semester 2 with less people trying poorly.

I'm just speculating this as most first years are forced to do ENGG1000 this semester, and in semester 2 there might be more people from different years or the first years will be much more settled into uni.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
If this is happening now, then maybe it will be better in semester 2 with less people trying poorly.

I'm just speculating this as most first years are forced to do ENGG1000 this semester, and in semester 2 there might be more people from different years or the first years will be much more settled into uni.
was there an option to do ENGG1000 in second sem. if there were i would rethink most of my subjects. I would have done MATH1141, MMAN1300, + 2 Elevtives in 1st sem and done ENGG1000, MATH1241, PHYS1131 and COMP1917 2nd sem so that way i didn't have to do the comp course like a MOOC.

HSC
Uni Grad
was there an option to do ENGG1000 in second sem. if there were i would rethink most of my subjects. I would have done MATH1141, MMAN1300, + 2 Elevtives in 1st sem and done ENGG1000, MATH1241, PHYS1131 and COMP1917 2nd sem so that way i didn't have to do the comp course like a MOOC.
ENGG1000 is offered in sem 2 but there's less streams you can major in.

And it's probably a good choice to do PHYS1131 in 2nd sem; I heard that PHYS1121/31 in 1st sem is harder. :(

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
ENGG1000 is offered in sem 2 but there's less streams you can major in.
thats fine with me

And it's probably a good choice to do PHYS1131 in 2nd sem; I heard that PHYS1121/31 in 1st sem is harder. :(
??? how does this make sense lol. Wouldn't it be the same thing though? Unless if Joe Wolfe wasn't taking it then i would see how it would be easier. Tbh, i went to maybe like no more than 4 of Wolfe's lectures and that was only to kill time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)