Employment Experience vs Foreign Exchange (1 Viewer)

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi all.

So basically I have a dilemma. I’d really love to do a semester aboard (either the UK or the US). Currently though, I’m employed in an accounting job with a firm I love.

To do a semester abroad, I’d have to leave my job. Basically, I’m weighing up the pros and cons of doing this once I've graduated.
Do you think it would be better to leave uni with 5 solid years of relevant work experience? Or would it be better to have 3/3 and a half years of relevant experience, but have an exchange and full time study broken up in there?

I must admit, it’s the culture of the firm that I love, as opposed to the work itself. I don’t know if I could go on for another 3 and bit years doing relatively simple tax returns. (Seeing as it’s a very small firm, I’ll most likely remain as the sole undergraduate/junior for the foreseeable future, and being the lowest means I’ll have to do all the basic returns).

That being said, 5 years of work experience, guaranteed income and a secure job is a great thing.

Final thought, If I stayed for the 5 years my current plan is to visit Europe between graduating and then beginning my CA. Again, this would most likely mean leaving my job (as my plans for Europe are like a year long :lol:) Would this be looked down upon by employers (Essentially, taking a “gap year” between uni and CA)

This wouldn't be for at least another year, so throw all your thoughts at me! Thanks :)

RishBonjour

HSC
5 years of relevant work experience when you graduate? part time? I think go for exchange! Wouldn't 'large firms' like fresh graduates anyway? (Given they have some work experience and all that other stuff). haha really like your plan with Europe though !

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Yep part time uni and work for me. So 5 years or so at 3 days a week.

TBH; I don't know if I could ever go back to working in a large firm again, but I get that 5 years experience might be seen as too much for a traditional grad role :/

And I like my plan for Europe too. :lol:

Jinks

HSC
You've got the work experience component of a resume covered heaps. I would go for the overseas exchange now as something new/different and as a sign of independence and the ability to work out of your comfort zone. Thats just my opinion :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd do overseas because it shows independence and agility. Work experience at this level isn't that important as long as you have some and can show how you learnt/developed from it.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the feedback :)

I guess when you think about it for a graduate position some experience (even if it is 3 instead of 5) still will look good to potential employers.

Now all I have to do is figure out where I'd like to go and when :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)