Economics HSC Exam Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

notme123

HSC
damn i memorised that for nothing?

i memorised his experiment for speed of light and polarisation. damn i thought i was lacking for hertz
wait he had one for polarisation? did you know that guy was the one who discovered the photoelectric effect by accident and einstein took all the credit?

notme123

HSC
damn i memorised that for nothing?
i dont think you learnt it for nothing because it improves your theory and knowledge, but i just ctrl f the syllabus for hertz and the only result is hertzprung russel diagram

uniqueusername1

HSC
wait he had one for polarisation? did you know that guy was the one who discovered the photoelectric effect by accident and einstein took all the credit?
damn i forgot his name lol i was watching a ted talk or something on it

so basically hertz rotated the receiver and he noticed at right angles he would see sparks (after setting up the standing waves) something like that

zbolland

HSC
I'm confused by their answer for no.9. I still think it should be B cuz D doesn't mention the direction of the investment which is absolutely confusing...
it’s definitely D, business investment is not in the BOP. business investment implies domestic investment and hence is not a credit nor debit. higher domestic investment = higher X = BOGS improves

notme123

HSC
theres a lot of issues with this mc.
9. i still think both b and d are correct to an extent. i think b is right as well because decreasing import prices means a rising tot, so better bogs, coupled with the depreciation. they shouldnt assume how the economy denominates its currency, otherwise they should tell us. hypothetical means infinite possibilities. I put b.
12. just cuz the k multiplier decreases, doesn't mean national income decreases, increases are just smaller. it didnt state at all the change in investment which is abosolutely necessary to gague change in national income. I put b.
16. ive heard a lot of people say its b, not c. my teacher and collegues say its b becase a highway will create less local traffic, not more. who cares about logistics, this isnt town planning. I put b
19. i have the BIGGEST issue with this. a managed economy DOES NOT use the cash rate to manipulate the exchange rate because there is a TIME LAG. they intervene so that each day it comes back to target range. This one was really fkd. I put c but i have a feeling they should give this as a free mark as none is correct. while yes b is the most correct, i did not choose it and immediately dismissed it for the simple fact it uses the cr.

Last edited:

alexn2539

HSC
Their justification for Q5 is just wrong, headline and underlying cash balance is NOT to do with monetary policy at all, it's a measure of the budget outcome. This is a pretty grossly incorrect statement ngl and the answers lost all credibility for me when I saw that. I also think the use of the word 'reflects' in the question means it should be either C or D, I can see where structural component (B) comes from but that's not where it's 'reflected' on the budget per se. I think the answer for Q5 is Headline Cash Balance (C) as this is where "cash flows for policy purposes" are recorded (straight from the textbook). I'm not defending my own answer here either btw bc I said D but I still really disagree with what they're saying.

notme123

HSC
Their justification for Q5 is just wrong, headline and underlying cash balance is NOT to do with monetary policy at all, it's a measure of the budget outcome. This is a pretty grossly incorrect statement ngl and the answers lost all credibility for me when I saw that. I also think the use of the word 'reflects' in the question means it should be either C or D, I can see where structural component (B) comes from but that's not where it's 'reflected' on the budget per se. I think the answer for Q5 is Headline Cash Balance (C) as this is where "cash flows for policy purposes" are recorded (straight from the textbook). I'm not defending my own answer here either btw bc I said D but I still really disagree with what they're saying.
the answer is b, c or d can be non discretionary as well. but ye the answers are dodgy. does matrix have answers too?

JesusChriiii

HSC
it’s definitely D, business investment is not in the BOP. business investment implies domestic investment and hence is not a credit nor debit. higher domestic investment = higher X = BOGS improves
it's confusing, they should specify whether it is domestic business investment from domestic to domestic, or overseas to domestic, or domestic to overseas, it's hard to assume an economy's business investment is all done within the economy with no connection to the oversea sector. If they specify it is all done in domestic sectors, i'll agree with D, but they didn't and makes it a vague option

alexn2539

HSC
the answer is b, c or d can be non discretionary as well. but ye the answers are dodgy. does matrix have answers too?
Unfortunately not, i've been waiting for then to come out but I don't think matrix does answers for eco

JesusChriiii

HSC
theres a lot of issues with this mc.
9. i still think both b and d are correct to an extent. i think b is right as well because decreasing import prices means a rising tot, so better bogs, coupled with the depreciation. they shouldnt assume how the economy denominates its currency, otherwise they should tell us. hypothetical means infinite possibilities. I put b.
12. just cuz the k multiplier decreases, doesn't mean national income decreases, increases are just smaller. it didnt state at all the change in investment which is abosolutely necessary to gague change in national income. I put b.
16. ive heard a lot of people say its b, not c. my teacher and collegues say its b becase a highway will create less local traffic, not more. who cares about logistics, this isnt town planning. I put b
19. i have the BIGGEST issue with this. a managed economy DOES NOT use the cash rate to manipulate the exchange rate because there is a TIME LAG. they intervene so that each day it comes back to target range. This one was really fkd. I put c but i have a feeling they should give this as a free mark as none is correct. while yes b is the most correct, i did not choose it and immediately dismissed it for the simple fact it uses the cr.
9. I agree. D is such a vague option. Maybe it will be the same as last year' mc in which there is one question with two correct options.
12. I agree, the question must provide more info for us to decide whether national income drops. An increase in MPS would result in lower level of economic activity for sure, but not necessarily a decrease in national income - maybe just a reduction in growth rates? I still put D tho even though i don't think the question makes sense.
16. I put C but now i tend to think it should be B. This question just does not sound economic anywas...
19. Exactly the same thought process. It got my stuck there for a long time, but C and D just don't align with the basic demand-supply theory of goods, which i believe is more fundamental and important than functions of central banks in a managed economy. I put B but i agree this question is fucked.

notme123

HSC
9. I agree. D is such a vague option. Maybe it will be the same as last year' mc in which there is one question with two correct options.
12. I agree, the question must provide more info for us to decide whether national income drops. An increase in MPS would result in lower level of economic activity for sure, but not necessarily a decrease in national income - maybe just a reduction in growth rates? I still put D tho even though i don't think the question makes sense.
16. I put C but now i tend to think it should be B. This question just does not sound economic anywas...
19. Exactly the same thought process. It got my stuck there for a long time, but C and D just don't align with the basic demand-supply theory of goods, which i believe is more fundamental and important than functions of central banks in a managed economy. I put B but i agree this question is fucked.
i just hope we dont get penalised for their laziness to provide more info. i think i might get 17 in mc which im fine with cuz i really believe the toll q is b.
also with 19 now that i look back ye b is probs correct but i just cant get over the time lag that comes with it. 1 month implementation is too late to change an er that is managed daily. the only reason i put c is because it was correct in terms of accuracy idk

JesusChriiii

HSC
i just hope we dont get penalised for their laziness to provide more info. i think i might get 17 in mc which im fine with cuz i really believe the toll q is b.
also with 19 now that i look back ye b is probs correct but i just cant get over the time lag that comes with it. 1 month implementation is too late to change an er that is managed daily
I might end up with a similar score in mc. This year's mc is really bad-written, with a few questions that just are just wrong from nature and options that just can't be more vague...

notme123

HSC
I might end up with a similar score in mc. This year's mc is really bad-written, with a few questions that just are just wrong from nature and options that just can't be more vague...
i heard markers and exam writers always argue about answers to mc and depth of short answer so hopefully the markers throw a fit and allow leeway but thats super unlikely

Last edited:

zbolland

HSC

ArtOfSmart did their own video and answered all the HSC Eco questions - haven't watched it, but they usually have a decent idea about what is going on tbh.

icycledough

HSC
I'd say these types of videos or websites like Matrix are good for the M/C questions and subjects like Maths or Chemistry, where the question requires a numerical answer. For theory-heavy subjects like Economics, it's really hard to judge from a video for a short answer or extended response question how your response bodes in comparison.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)