Dropping from Mathematics to General? (1 Viewer)

Jessem_09

HSC
Just a bit curious and friends could only give me answers with shady information.

Now, in my mind the two courses are different in whats taught, and such. But a friend mentioned to me the other day that if im struggling with Maths Adv. at the end of year 11 I can drop it for Maths General in my HSC year.

Someone mind clearing this up ?

madsam

God among men
HSC
You can drop down at anytime, but you can't move from general -> adv maths
Also, any university with a maths prerequisite requires adv maths, general is not considered as basic level maths.
If you want to do engineering, maths, economics, science or even commerce at uni you should stick with 2unit

K

Kozak92

Honestly, unless you're committed to study in General Maths as well, I would drop maths altogether.

People that don't do well in 2U believe that they'll come into General and it will be an easy road to a band 5/6. This is wrong and will put them in a horrible position. One guy in my General Maths class dropped from Extension 1 all the way to General and is struggling. The terms and how we answer questions in General do not make sense to him.

You can drop 2U to General at the end of year 11 if you do poorly in 2U.

You can drop down at anytime, but you can't move from general -> adv maths
Also, any university with a maths prerequisite requires adv maths, general is not considered as basic level maths.
If you want to do engineering, maths, economics, science or even commerce at uni you should stick with 2unit
You shouldn't. If you're doing poor its best to drop down and get good results and do a bridging course when in Uni.

Last edited by a moderator:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Yes, you can drop to general maths anytime. General maths is basically a 5.3 maths in yr 9 and 10 and scales horridly. Unless 2U maths is taking up all of your time and you're still doing horrible, i don't suggest you drop. And if you do intend to drop, you should consider dropping maths altogether depending on how many units you have etc etc.

Honestly, unless you're committed to study in General Maths as well, I would drop maths altogether.

People that don't do well in 2U believe that they'll come into General and it will be an easy road to a band 5/6. This is wrong and will put them in a horrible position. One guy in my General Maths class dropped from Extension 1 all the way to General and is struggling. The terms and how we answer questions in General do not make sense to him.

You shouldn't. If you're doing poor its best to drop down and get good results and do a bridging course when in Uni.
That guy you mentioned obviously isn't gifted at maths by any means.

Everyone at my school who drops from 2U because they're struggling so much aces general maths with hardly any work at all.

madsam

God among men
HSC

No.
You don't even know what you're talking about, dropping down to do "better" in a subject is not the way to go. If you put the effort in, 2 unit is not that difficult, its when you get into the cbf mindframe that you don't put the effort in, and as a result dont do as well.

Especially since the guy has only begun year 11, you don't drop down at the first sign of failure. Setting low expectations to make yourself feel better is not the key to self satisfaction, nor is it the key to doing well in school. When you come to a challenge in school, a bit of homework and self study goes a long way, and if you need to get a tutor.

Unless you do extremely well in humanities (Economics, legal studies, geo, and the histories) and know that that is the path you wish to follow at uni, i would discourage any consideration of dropping mathematics while still in year 11

And as Annabackwards said, if you're doing that bad at mathematics you may as well drop it completely. If you're going to uni, doing general has no advantage over not doing any maths

Last edited:
K

Kozak92

No.
You don't even know what you're talking about, dropping down to do "better" in a subject is not the way to go. If you put the effort in, 2 unit is not that difficult, its when you get into the cbf mindframe that you don't put the effort in, and as a result dont do as well.

Especially since the guy has only begun year 11, you don't drop down at the first sign of failure. Setting low expectations to make yourself feel better is not the key to self satisfaction, nor is it the key to doing well in school. When you come to a challenge in school, a bit of homework and self study goes a long way, and if you need to get a tutor.

Unless you do extremely well in humanities (Economics, legal studies, geo, and the histories) and know that that is the path you wish to follow at uni, i would discourage any consideration of dropping mathematics while still in year 11
Would you honestly recommend he keep going in the course if he was still failing by the end of the year?

if im struggling with Maths Adv. at the end of year 11
If he struggles with the prelim course at the end of the year I'd probably say its best he drop down to General or drop the subject as a whole.

annabackwards said:
That guy you mentioned obviously isn't gifted at maths by any means.

Everyone at my school who drops from 2U because they're struggling so much aces general maths with hardly any work at all.
Possibly. I find general maths rather easy myself (hopefully I can acheive a band 6 or at the least a high band 5 :p). Depends on the person though..I'm not a big fan of the guy that came from extension. He acts like he's too good for General and laughs at most of the material we're learning while saying "from extension to this!"

Your school sounds rather motivated.

madsam

God among men
HSC
Would you honestly recommend he keep going in the course if he was still failing by the end of the year?

If he struggles with the prelim course at the end of the year I'd probably say its best he drop down to General or drop the subject as a whole.

Your school sounds rather motivated.
There's always room for improvement, the majority of my friends went from doing pretty poorly in 2unit + 3unit (50% average) in year 11, to doing reasonably well in year 12 (70-80% average), so it all depends on the commitment of the person.
If you're on the 10 unit express, then i would say keep it, as opposed to dropping down, as you'll be relatively too far behind, and that will give you added motivation for year 12. Alternatively, if you're doing quite well at your other subjects, and feel that maths is simply dragging you down (80%+ in each other subject, and around 50% in maths) then i wouldn't be opposed to dropping.

At the end of the day, it really comes down to what you want to do, how commited you are, and where you want to go in uni, for example if you want to do engineering, maths, science or any of them, mathematics is a MINIMUM requirement.

Not sure about anna, but i went to a selective school, so i suppose we had added motivation only from wanting to do better in comparison to the top tier students, in saying that, its not like we didn't have the druggies and wanna be gangsters, they were just significantly smaller and in effect less obnoxious and disrupting

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
yeah, you can drop anytime you want

but tis not recommended as you would have missed a LOT OF WORK

twistedrebel

HSC
2u is pretty easy, at my school in th 2u class is almost finished the entire course (last topic) so they have 2ish terms for revision.

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
I happened to drop from 2U to general at the beginning of term 4 last year, and i don't regret it at all. Pretty much all of my 2U tests, I've been getting less than 50% and paid heaps for tutoring and basically the majority of my study time was going towards maths. General maths is such a big relief for me, but even so, you still would need to work hard to do well.

I would only recommend you drop if you're struggling a lot, not just because you're not bothered to study or anything. And think about what you want to do in uni as well!

Gedi-Master

HSC
Everyone at my school who drops from 2U because they're struggling so much aces general maths with hardly any work at all.[/quote]

I agree,
i did the same thing and now i have way more time on my hands too,
as well as an awesome rank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)