• AWD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Psssh daily driving in RWD is barely any different from FWD or AWD. In fact FWD cars tend to lose traction off the line far easier in my experience.
That's exactly the point I was trying to make.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Most driver aids don't kick in until something goes wrong. If you hammer the throttle mid corner and power oversteer, all traction control is going to do is cut the throttle by which time you're already spinning.

They can limit the extent to which you lose control but (for most, near all production cars at least) you can still get into trouble.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
I've never, and will never try something like that on a public road. Only car I've tried on a track is my Subaru and that leans heavily to understeer.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
That's true, but I suppose it comes down to what one does in 'daily driving'.

I was in a mate's new MPS3 and man that thing pulls hard but even at low speeds under 100km/h, I could feel stability control coming in every now and then.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
lol What was he doing to provoke the robot nanny?

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Oh daily driving. Defeats the purpose of the question really, the different mechanics only come into play when the cars being pushed. You really shouldn't be able to tell the difference otherwise.

lol What was he doing to provoke the robot nanny?
Flooring it, I presume.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh daily driving. Defeats the purpose of the question really, the different mechanics only come into play when the cars being pushed. You really shouldn't be able to tell the difference otherwise.

Flooring it, I presume.
In the wet even with mild acceleration, some cars can have the traction control kick in. Even in my AWD without going too crazy I've had stability control kick in.

I was thinking about this today when driving the Civic... gotta remember not to floor it in the wet (no stability/traction control; and fwd).

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
My rwd car has 70hp and goes heaps sideways all the time under all conditions, it's the best.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
FWD cars can go sideways... just not elegantly. I've overcooked it before when turning too hard in the wet :(
I've done it aquaplaning at 40 km/h (don't ask) in a Corolla. Very messy recovery.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I've done it aquaplaning at 40 km/h (don't ask) in a Corolla. Very messy recovery.
I still remember my first time aquaplaning on the uphill @ Epping Rd (going from Epping towards Epping Boys/Macq Centre). Wasn't even raining that hard nor was I going very fast (60-70km/h in an 80 zone) but the car and the ute to my left both suddenly started drifting towards the centre of the road (i.e. to our right).

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
It's an interesting feeling, kinda being in control...but not.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
it doesnt go sideways but the wheel spin light pops on.

one time on a wet hill, i got wheel spin every time i moved off

Phantomeureka

HSC
Obviously you guys haven't had wheelspin at 100kph+ in 3rd gear :p back when i had bad tyres, every hard gear change the rear would go into the next lane which got quite dangerous one time...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)