• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

drinking water (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I find I just sit a 1L bottle next to me whenever I'm at a computer (i.e. whenever I'm at work or studying) and I'll easily plow through 3-4L a day.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
I read (it was actually a experiment documentary thingy) that its ok if you dont drink 8 cups of water (or the required limit), because you can have that same intake, and reach that limit from your food. Ex, if you had only 6 cups of water, the other 2 cups of water can come from your food, such as fruits and vegies, that have a high water content.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I find I just sit a 1L bottle next to me whenever I'm at a computer (i.e. whenever I'm at work or studying) and I'll easily plow through 3-4L a day.
lol i do the same

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
^
me too...sometimes but, whenever i feel that i'll be spending too much time working and cbb getting up ^_^

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
rozymisty said:
I hardly drink anything, coz I pee very often. I have been tested for diabetes but that was a no, thank god. But i do try and remind myself to have a few mouthfuls from time to time, especially when im at work, I will just take a breather and jsut have a few mouthfulls of water.
Actually, the reason you pee often could very well be many things and the fact that you don't keep up your water intake to correspond is very bad news (and likely exacerbating the problem). You should seriously rethink that decision. It wouldn't surprise me if excess peeing when you drink more water is simply due to you having weak kidneys because you never drink water.

If you drink stacks of water, you will get really bad kidney and liveer problems and heart palpitations i think too, something to do with diluting all the sodium or potassium in your body.
Saying that, we had a patient who drank like 10x600ml bottles a day and that was natural to him. The first time i looked after him, i was like whaaaa...are you sure...and his mum said diabetic? no he's been tested lol.
No. Just no. Maybe if you're drunk and take a bunch of ecstasy you'll get hyponatremia, but there's no fucking way you'll get any problems just by drinking, a normal amount of water (upwards of 10 litres even, spread over an entire day). Hyponatremia is generally acute.

The body needs a minimum of 2 litres water per day to maintain proper hydration. No, that's after food intake. Including food you need about 3 to 4 litres of water per day. Also, if you drink lots of dehydrants or diuretics like tea, coffee, alcohol, or soft drinks, you're going to need to drink even more water still.

Wikipedia
Reference daily intake for water is 3.7 L/day for human males aged 19-30 years. Food contributes 0.5–1 L, and the metabolism of protein, fat, and carbohydrates produces another 0.25–0.4 L. Thus, a person needs to drink approximately 2–3 L of water per day. The average urine output for adults is 1.5 L a day. Breathing, bowel movements, and sweating result in a loss of an additional liter. Twenty percent of water intake comes from food consumption, so drinking 2 L of water, along with normal diet will suffice in replenishing fluids. These assumptions are limited by the condition of the subject, including personal health and physical exercise, but are also affected by temperature and humidity.

There is a persistent myth that people should try to drink 8 cups of water per day, but there is no evidence to support that specific amount as best. For example, people in hot places will need more water. An individual's thirst provides a better guide for how much water they requirer than a specific, fixed number. A more flexible guideline is that a normal person should urinate 4 times per day, and the urine should be a light yellow color. Fully clear urine may indicate someone is drinking more than necessary.

The kidneys will adjust to varying levels of water intake, if someone drinks a lot of water the kidneys will produce more diluted urine, even if the person did not happen to drink a lot, and it takes time for the kidneys to a adjust to the new water intake level. This can cause someone who drinks a lot of water to become dehydrated more easily than someone who routinely drinks less. Survival classes recommend that someone who expects to be in an environment with little water (such as a desert), to not drink a lot of water, but rather to drink as little as possible for several days before the trip to accustom the kidneys to making concentrated urine. Not doing this caused the death of a man during a survival test
withoutaface said:
Same. I drink about 1.5 litres of milk and about 3 litres of water a day.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Oh yeah, and weight gain due to water only happens if your kidneys fail. :rolleyes:

quik.

HSC
melsc said:
Thats a lot of milk...too much stops you absorbing iron...
If you're trying to put on weight there is no such thing as 'too much milk'. Plus milk tastes pretty awesome anyways.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Milk is 96% fat free! Lol, I drink about a litre of milk a day. Not sure of water, just when I'm thirsty...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Slidey said:
Oh yeah, and weight gain due to water only happens if your kidneys fail. :rolleyes:
or ur heart is failing or ur liver is failing..or ur adrenals are failing .. or ur pituitary is failing ...

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
melsc said:
Thats a lot of milk...too much stops you absorbing iron...
Yeah, I know; it's competitive with calcium for the same binding site.

Which is good, because my iron levels are too high.

Quik: As for putting on weight... my weight hasn't changed. I've excepted that I'm at my optimum metabolism and lean muscle mass, and worrying is pointless. Better to make sure I get a balanced diet than worry about calories.

Riet: about 96.5% yeah. So over 1.5 litres that's about 50 grammes of fat, 50 grammes of protein and 50 grammes of disaccharide sugar or about 10,000 kilojoules/2,000 calories.

Vanush: Yeah, about 3 bottles of 3L milk per week. It's a pretty high nutrition to money ratio, though.

Last edited:

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
I normally find it really easy to drink water, but I don't really drink anything else. I'm not really a fan of soft drink or juice, unless alcohol is involved. I have orange juice very occasionally and milk makes me feel ill on its own. Maybe I am justw eird. I drink a lot of green tea as well.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
yeah 3 litres sounds fine - but really depends on how active i am/how hot it is.

My record of drinking water was 14-16L per day. Done on an army camp. (it was fucking hot - and we were physically active for 20 hours a day)

HSC
i know this guy who brings this huge water bottle to school and drowns it down

roadcone

HSC
i've read that your daily water consumption should be roughly:

weight (in kgs) x 0.0333

on average this would mean approx. 2L per day for most people.

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
The amount of water I drink really depends on the day I'm having. At uni, I'll take a PUMP bottle and just have that for the day, so i don't pee heaps. But if I'm home alone sitting on the computer or something I usually have a water bottle near me at all times.

I was reading in a magazine that you should only drink water 30 mins before meals and 2hrs after as it interferes with digestion. What are your thoughts on this?

I thought it was stupid as it makes fitting in drinks and meals harder through the day, but also makes some sense. Our stomachs are full of acid so the water may dilute it, or just push food through the digestion tract faster so we don't get all the nutrients from it. THEN there's arguments about whether you should drink cold or warm water with a meal. Who knows...

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
I Drink about 4-5 litres a day. But i exercise alot, and take creatine, so i'm always thirsty

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)