Does God Exist? (2 Viewers)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
osk said:
Also, Hell will not be a place of suffering only for 'bad' people like murderers and rapists. It will be filled with anyone, no matter how 'good', who refused the saving work of Jesus. We believe that any sin, no matter how small, set us apart from God, who is without sin, and, since God is fair, he punishes sin by sending people to eternity in Hell.

However we believe since God is a loving God, He also offered us a way to escape Hell.....He placed our sins on His Son Jesus, and offered a way out of Hell for those who merely put their faith in Jesus. We believe this salvation is open to anyone, be it murderer or dear old granny who hasnt accepted Jesus.

Some might say that God is unfair in providing such a narrow way to salvation....but we believe since God is a just God, all who live will have a chance to either accept or reject Jesus by the time that God judges mankind.
Oh dear. You're in the worst category of Christians. I haven't said anything for a while but please. How about natives living in a small african village who have never heard of Jesus, or this (PARTICULAR, might I add) religion?

Honestly I can respect the views of ordinary Christians but your view is tragically and unequivocally flawed, arrogant and blind.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Heaven is to topiary as hell is to adultery, pillaging and plundering.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I also don't believe because i've found MOST people who believe are simply complacent in their belief, they believe because that is what is expected of them and they have merely just accepted it.
you have a point...i mean, ive grown up in my religion and i know no different. However, i have been given the choice to accept or disregard my religion. But I've chosen to continue my faith not because it's expected of me, but because I really do believe it. I personally feel that i NEED faith in my life, otherwise I don't have much else to live for.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
grk_styl said:
you have a point...i mean, ive grown up in my religion and i know no different. However, i have been given the choice to accept or disregard my religion. But I've chosen to continue my faith not because it's expected of me, but because I really do believe it. I personally feel that i NEED faith in my life, otherwise I don't have much else to live for.
Um, check all that apply:

- Love
- Success
- Glory
- Wealth
- Fun
- Friendships
- Wisdom
- Self-enlightenment
- The human experience (you have 5 senses, use them)
- your OWN meaning (look up existentialism on the internet, you'll discover a whole new world)
- the thrill!

osk

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Oh dear. You're in the worst category of Christians. I haven't said anything for a while but please. How about natives living in a small african village who have never heard of Jesus, or this (PARTICULAR, might I add) religion?

Honestly I can respect the views of ordinary Christians but your view is tragically and unequivocally flawed, arrogant and blind.
I understand what you're getting at, but once again, I repeat that we believe God is a just God, He is a God of impossiblilities.....with all the missionaries in the world penetrating into such "islolated villages" and the miraculous ways in which God works.....we believe that all will know eventually.......

You're basing your assessment of the situation on the limitations of human beings, I'm basing mine on the endless power of God

As for the so called Christians you refer to.....Id hardly call them Christians if they believe anyone can pick or choose how they want to be saved......its all in the name....a Christian is someone who belives Jesus is the ONLY way, not A way.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
osk said:
I understand what you're getting at, but once again, I repeat that we believe God is a just God, He is a God of impossiblilities.....with all the missionaries in the world penetrating into such "islolated villages" and the miraculous ways in which God works.....we believe that all will know eventually.......

You're basing your assessment of the situation on the limitations of human beings, I'm basing mine on the endless power of God

As for the so called Christians you refer to.....Id hardly call them Christians if they believe anyone can pick or choose how they want to be saved......its all in the name....a Christian is someone who belives Jesus is the ONLY way, not A way.
1. As opposed to you basing your beliefs on... what exactly?

2. What makes your religion the correct one? I suppose all those millions of people the world over with other religions are all wrong?

J.C.

HSC
Chill, chill moonlight. I'm sensing some serious hostility here man. Unwind man, unwind your mind, unravel your gavel.

Look, you've got to realise that my dad isn't omnipotent, like yesterday he tried to register for BoS and some cat had signed up before him.

That username is already in use. If you are God and you have forgotten your password, click here.

But its cool, its all cool.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
ok you have an opinion. Why do you have an opinion? you have a belief because of your personal beliefs and you beliefs without any evidence and your opinions (which are beliefs).

Good answer.
I have no idea what you just said, next time learn some grammar.

osk

HSC
1. As opposed to you basing your beliefs on... what exactly? Nothing.

2. What makes your religion the correct one? I suppose all those millions of people the world over with other religions are all wrong right?
Hey... I'm telling you what I believe and why......if you dnt think its correct....fine....but my reply was meant to be an explanation, not an argument.....yes....I do believe that all other religions are wrong..... how could I have true faith if I believed it could be substituted by anything else in the world?

You can call me all the names you like.......ive heard em all before....but i think ud agree that true faith, whether in Christianity, Satanism, evolution or whateva else means standing up for that faith and not bowing to the wishes or pressures of the world to conform

J.C.

HSC
osk said:

Dude, dad had me executed a couple of thousand years ago (to tell you the truth, he's been a bit of a piece of work for the last 500 or so years as well, and why would you worship such an angry cat anyway?). But anyway, I've been dead for just over 2004 years now, how can i help you? Help yourself.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
Um, check all that apply:

- Love
- Success
- Glory
- Wealth
- Fun
- Friendships
- Wisdom
- Self-enlightenment
- The human experience (you have 5 senses, use them)
- your OWN meaning (look up existentialism on the internet, you'll discover a whole new world)
- the thrill!
I think she meant as an eternal basis to her life. IF you based your life on the majority of those, with the exception perhaps of a few ie, self-enlightenment, human experience, friendships, then i dont think, personally, that i would be content with living a life concentrated upon glory for example. But whatever rocks your boat :)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
J.C. said:
Chill, chill moonlight. I'm sensing some serious hostility here man. Unwind man, unwind your mind, unravel your gavel.

Look, you've got to realise that my dad isn't omnipotent, like yesterday he tried to register for BoS and some cat had signed up before him.

That username is already in use. If you are God and you have forgotten your password, click here.

But its cool, its all cool.
oh no not another one :p

at least that "BY THE GRACE OF GOD" dude is gone

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
I think she meant as an eternal basis to her life.
Life, as far as we know, is not eternal

AsyLum said:
whatever rocks your boat :)
Exactly - whatever meaning you want your life to have.

Simply because some people are afraid and need to be spoon-fed meaning does not mean we should all jump on the bandwagon

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Why do i think? I think there is a God due to my faith, MY personal beliefs, MY opinions. Is that too hard to comprehend that I have an opinion?
Ok, let me break it down for you.

I asked you why you believed, and you answered me with ' i believe because i believe' over and over.

First, "I believe in god because of my faith" , so you believe in god because of your belief.
Second, "I believe in god because of my personal beliefs", again, you believe because of your beliefs.
Third, "I believe in god because of MY opinions", again.... you believe in god because that is your belief.

You have come far from answering my question then ridiculed me about my grammar.

definingemo

bonnells bay....but i say i live in newcastle
HSC
N/A
Ziff said:
Do it without referring to a holy text. If you are going to refer to a holy text then you must justify using solid evidence why it should be believed taking into account the nature of the text, the origin, the content, the perspectives, the motivation for the composer, the audience it was intended for, and the reliability of not only the sources contained within it but also the text as a whole (i.e. textual integrity).
you must remember that belief in religions is built on faith...and in most christian sects the only thing required of us is to believe and have faith, and that holy texts such as the "holy bible" are merely texts that were and are believed to be inspired by and interpreted from god.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
so believe, and believe without any evidence?

Why not believe whatever then? why not believe a much much nicer reality? ie, we'll all wake up tomorrow and be in heaven and everyone will be happy and smiling and there won't be a hell.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Ok, let me break it down for you.

I asked you why you believed, and you answered me with ' i believe because i believe' over and over.

First, "I believe in god because of my faith" , so you believe in god because of your belief.
Second, "I believe in god because of my personal beliefs", again, you believe because of your beliefs.
Third, "I believe in god because of MY opinions", again.... you believe in god because that is your belief.

You have come far from answering my question then ridiculed me about my grammar.
Discussing this matter any further with you is pointless. You do NOT understand the focus of faith, the focus of religion. I tried to break it down to you, the reason i believe is because of what culminates in my life. I am not about to give you a scientific nor historical account of my life, what has shaped it, and why i believe. Why? Because im not trying to convert you, nor am i trying to prove to you it exists, all i am trying to do is show our side of the argument.

Do you really think i am about to express to you the inner rescesses of my personal life on a public forum? And what does it matter, again you are clearly not in this to learn anything or understand with an open mind, so why bother discussing any further?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
That is the biggest load of shit i've ever heard.
You're protesting to me that you believe, then you tell me that you believe because of some personal matters in your life? I cannot possibly imagine what, however i've heard this sort of thing said a few times before... i suspect it is an easy way of not having your faith questioned by others or having to face up to any criticisms which might trigger off the more logical side of your brain.

I feel insulted that you would accuse me of not being open minded when i have shared all my views and described exactly how i have come to form them when you won't, I understand completely WHY people are drawn to faith, i pointed out...
many people had different reasons for believing in Gods, including:

* They had simply been indoctrinated at an early age, and the beliefs became so much a part of their life that the idea of questioning or doubting simply never occurred to them. They believe it because they have just always known it to be true.

* They feel that we must be here for a purpose. The universe and this beautiful Earth cannot all be a pointless accident, and God is the best explanation. We are all here for a reason, but only God knows exactly what that reason is and we'll just have to trust him.

* A sense of justice. It's not fair for evil people to commit all sorts of terrible acts and simply escape punishment by dying. The idea of heaven/hell ensures that good people are rewarded and bad people are suitable punished.

* A deep objection to being merely "animals". Many creationists, for instance, are offended at the idea that humans simply evolved along with all other animals. God made us separate and special, and we have a "soul" but the animals do not.

* Comfort. Many people find it very comforting to believe that a loving God is always watching over them and caring for them, and when anything good or bad happens to them, this is all part of his Plan for their life. Also, religion is obviously very comforting when faced with the death of a loved one. It's much easier and more reassuring to believe that Grandma is free from pain now, up in Heaven with Jesus where she's waiting for us to join her for eternity, than to think that she has simply ceased to exist and the universe will have forgotten her in a couple of generations.

* Afterlife. It seems almost incomprehensible to believe that when your body dies, your existence ends. Sensation and awareness are so much a part of our existence that it is extremely difficult to imagine no longer being able to experience anything. Try to imagine that, for example, a big meteor crashes into your house and instantly kills you at the end of this paragraph. We just cannot imagine not existing or abruptly ceasing to be aware and conscious, and so it is quite natural to think that something will continue to exist after the death of our brain. It's a short step from there to accepting the idea of an immortal soul, and heaven or reincarnation or some other form of afterlife.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Mate, you've just proved my point, you CANNOT COMPREHEND, or rather DO NOT WANT TO COMPREHEND that people make these decisions after events within their lives WHICH THEY DO NOT WISH TO SHARE NOR JUSTIFY NOR NEED TO JUSTIFY WITH OTHER PEOPLE SUCH AS YOURSELF.

You insult me by saying i have not thought about this, i have come close to losing my faith many a time, in fact ive been in the darkest hole of my life, and ive found my way through with my faith.

The very essence of this argument is based upon the duality of this statement,

God is or isnt because we cannot prove nor disprove it.

Now get it through your head.

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
Perhaps the point trying to be reached here by [Asy]Lum is that faith or belief is a personal thing.. journey, discovery etc. To oneself the events which shape that journey mean alot and have affected how you believe, or what you believe.A whole personal struggle idea, which brings the onus of proving ones faith, or strengthening ones belief back onto the individual. But to others those events are meaningless and devoid of any 'proof' to validate their faith.

Generally i'd assume its one of those 'you had to be there to see it things' because unless you go through it yourself you will never understand someone elses motivation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)