• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God Exist? (2 Viewers)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
God exists if you want him to exist.

If you don't want him to exist he does not.

End of story.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I understand that you can't understand exactly how, i can think of good examples of WHY people believe in faith tho...

What i'd like is for people to just explain their thought process that brought them to their faith, i have clearly pointed out my thoughts that led me to believe there is no god and have left them open for criticism, if you don't want to do the same that's fine but i hope someone else will.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
From the ages of 14-16 or so I believed there was no God, but on further reflection I decided there must be some higher purpose, and therefore a God.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I understand that you can't understand exactly how, i can think of good examples of WHY people believe in faith tho...

What i'd like is for people to just explain their thought process that brought them to their faith, i have clearly pointed out my thoughts that led me to believe there is no god and have left them open for criticism, if you don't want to do the same that's fine but i hope someone else will.

the thought process involves "who created me?"............"mum and dad"........who created them?...............grandma and grandpa...........who created them and so on until will reach the end. in order for us to be created, there must be an uncreated creator.........an energy force, a power of some sort. the world and the positioning of the stars, the moon the sun and etc are too perfect to have come about by accident, in a chemistry lab we mix chemicals and we get a reaction.......however WE mix the chemicals.......they dont mix themselves. its highly unlikey that the chemicals which made us and this absolutey perfect universe mixed themselves. some say that it was energy and stuff that created us..........this energy needs to be made...it needs a power source.........u know that the mountains have been created perfectly to stop the earth from quivering? if they werent there, the earth would shake, and we would feel it. its these things and many more which make it undoubtable in my mind that a power source of some kind exists. this power source is god. wateva it may be, we dont know wat it looks like, well neva see it. it is labelled god. this leads to the question of then y did god create us? and thats where religions differ. i choose to believe in allah (btw allah and god mean the same thing........allah is just the arabic word for god but some ppl seem to think its gods name or soemthing)...and then my faith comes from then sense that islam makes which i personally did not find in any other religion.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
osk said:
Hey Usher,

Being a Christian, Ill give you an explanation of Hell from our point of view.

A Christian believes Hell to be a place where all people who do not accept Jesus as Saviour go.

Contrary to popular belief, Hell is not necessarily a place of Fire and Heat, but is defined as a place of separation from God, therefore a separation from all that is good, since we believe all goodness is God given. The punishment of Hell is therefore a result of isolation...imagine being on your own for ever and ever with no hope of happiness or joy....

Also, Hell will not be a place of suffering only for 'bad' people like murderers and rapists. It will be filled with anyone, no matter how 'good', who refused the saving work of Jesus. We believe that any sin, no matter how small, set us apart from God, who is without sin, and, since God is fair, he punishes sin by sending people to eternity in Hell.

However we believe since God is a loving God, He also offered us a way to escape Hell.....He placed our sins on His Son Jesus, and offered a way out of Hell for those who merely put their faith in Jesus. We believe this salvation is open to anyone, be it murderer or dear old granny who hasnt accepted Jesus.

Some might say that God is unfair in providing such a narrow way to salvation....but we believe since God is a just God, all who live will have a chance to either accept or reject Jesus by the time that God judges mankind.

So there you have it....this is the Christian viewpoint on what Hell is...it is definantly a BAD place.
can i ask......im a muslim...........i believe in jesus, but i dont believe he was god or his son....i believe he was a prophet of god......just wondering, in ur religion do i go to hell?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
osk said:
Hey... I'm telling you what I believe and why......if you dnt think its correct....fine....but my reply was meant to be an explanation
An explanation involves some reason, not simply "I believe this." If I went around saying "I believe in the great goat-god Gorgamel," or if I told you that last night I was abducted by aliens, you're not exactly going to just take my word. You'd want some justification for you to believe these things. What you offer is simply an opinion ("I believe") without an explanation ("because...").

osk said:
I do believe that all other religions are wrong
You still haven't answered the question: why is your religion the correct one?

osk said:
i think ud agree that true faith, whether in Christianity, Satanism, evolution or whateva else means standing up for that faith and not bowing to the wishes or pressures of the world to conform
But to do so without reason for your beliefs would be pure folly

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Um, check all that apply:

- Love
- Success
- Glory
- Wealth
- Fun
- Friendships
- Wisdom
- Self-enlightenment
- The human experience (you have 5 senses, use them)
- your OWN meaning (look up existentialism on the internet, you'll discover a whole new world)
- the thrill!
...without my faith then I don't believe those are made possible. But BEFORE U BITE MY HEAD OFF, that's my personal belief. I understand if it isn't urs, yet I hope u can accept that that is my belief.

joujou_84 said:
can i ask......im a muslim...........i believe in jesus, but i dont believe he was god or his son....i believe he was a prophet of god......just wondering, in ur religion do i go to hell?
in my religion you would not go to Hell just because u believe something different :) I believe that a person goes to Hell for being truly evil, and these people do exist, and when they die I personally believe that they don't deserve to go to Heaven, although God chooses where one goes.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
joujou_84 said:
in order for us to be created, there must be an uncreated creator.........an energy force, a power of some sort.
Claim:
Every event has a cause. The universe itself had a beginning, so it must have had a First Cause, which must have been a creator God.

Response:
1. The assumption that every event has a cause, although common in our experience, is not necessarily universal. The apparent lack of cause for some events, such as radioactive decay, suggests that there might be exceptions. There are also hypotheses such as alternate dimensions of time or an eternally oscillating universe which allow a universe without a first cause.

2. By definition, a cause comes before an event. If time began with the universe, "before" doesn't even apply to it, and it is logically impossible that the universe be caused.

3. This claim raises the question of what caused God. If, as some claim, God doesn't need a cause, then by the same reasoning, neither does the universe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Claim:
Cosmologists can't explain where space, time, energy, and the laws of physics came from.

Response:
1. Some questions are harder to answer than others. But although we don't have a full understanding of the origin of the universe, we are not completely in the dark. We know, for example, that space comes from the expansion of the universe. The total energy of the universe may be zero. Cosmologists have hypotheses for the other questions that are consistent with observations [Hawking 2001]. For example, it is possible that there is more than one dimension of time, the other dimension being unbounded, so there is no overall origin of time. Another possibility is that the universe is in an eternal cycle without beginning or end. Each big bang might end in a big crunch to start a new cycle [Steinhardt and Turok 2002] or, at long intervals, our universe collides with a mirror universe, creating the universe anew [Seife 2002].

One should keep in mind that our experiences in everyday life are poor preparation for the extreme and bizarre conditions one encounters in cosmology. The stuff cosmologists deal with is very hard to understand. To reject it because of that, though, would be to retreat into the argument from incredulity.

2. Creationists can't explain origins at all. Saying "God did it" is not an explanation, because it is not tied to any objective evidence. It doesn't rule out any possibility, or even any impossibility. It does not address questions of "how?" and "why?", and it raises questions such as "which God?" and "how did God originate?" In the explaining game, cosmologists are far out in front.

joujou_84 said:
the world and the positioning of the stars, the moon the sun and etc are too perfect to have come about by accident [...] u know that the mountains have been created perfectly to stop the earth from quivering? if they werent there, the earth would shake, and we would feel it.
Claim:
The cosmos is fine-tuned to permit human life. If any of several fundamental constants were only slightly different, life would be impossible. (This claim is also known as the weak anthropic principle.)

Response:
1. The claim assumes life in its present form is a given; it applies not to life, but only to life as we know it. The same outcome results if life is fine-tuned to the cosmos.

We don't know what fundamental conditions would rule out any possibility of any life. For all we know, there might be intelligent beings in another universe arguing that if fundamental constants were only slightly different, then the absence of free quarks and the extreme weakness of gravity would make life impossible.

Indeed, many examples of fine-tuning are evidence that life is fine-tuned to the cosmos, not vice versa. This is exactly what evolution proposes.

2. If the universe is fine-tuned for life, why is life such an extremely rare part of it?

3. Many fine-tuning claims are based on numbers being the "same order of magnitude," but this phrase gets stretched beyond its original meaning to buttress design arguments; sometimes numbers more than 1000-fold different are called the same order of magnitude [Klee 2002].

How fine is "fine" anyway? That question can only be answered by a human judgment call, which reduces or removes objective value from the anthropic principle argument.

4. The fine-tuning claim is weakened by the fact that some physical constants are dependent on others, so the anthropic principle may rest on only a very few initial conditions that are really fundamental [Kane et al. 2000]. It is further weakened by the fact that different initial conditions sometimes lead to essentially the same outcomes, as with the initial mass of stars and their formation of heavy metals [Nakamura et al. 1997], or that the tuning may not be very fine, as with the resonance window for helium fusion within the sun [Livio et al. 1999].

5. If part of the universe were not suitable for life, we wouldn't be here to think about it. There is nothing to rule out the possibility of multiple universes, most of which would be unsuitable for life. We happen to find ourselves in one where life is conveniently possible because we can't very well be anywhere else.

6. The anthropic principle is an argument against an omnipotent creator. If God can do anything, He could create life in a universe whose conditions do not allow for it.

joujou_84 said:
energy needs to be made...it needs a power source
Claim:
The first law of thermodynamics says matter/energy cannot come from nothing. Therefore, the universe itself could not have formed naturally.

Response:
Formation of the universe from nothing need not violate conservation of energy. The gravitational potential energy of a gravitational field is a negative energy. When all the gravitational potential energy is added to all the other energy in the universe, it might sum to zero [Tryon 1973; Guth 1997, 9-12,271-276].

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
So if I say, "I believe in God because my faith is the basis for my existence and I have gone through circumstances in my life which has enabled me to really see that God does exist" would you accept that???

I don't need you to accept it, for I believe what i want to believe without caring what other people think, however I'm curious to know whether u think that reasoning is valid

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
grk_styl said:
"- Love
- Success
- Glory
- Wealth
- Fun
- Friendships
- Wisdom
- Self-enlightenment
- The human experience (you have 5 senses, use them)
- your OWN meaning (look up existentialism on the internet, you'll discover a whole new world)
- the thrill!"

----

...without my faith then I don't believe those are made possible. But BEFORE U BITE MY HEAD OFF, that's my personal belief. I understand if it isn't urs, yet I hope u can accept that that is my belief.
I'm not going to bite your head off :p

But may I ask why? Surely I experience love, friendship, fun, etc, without faith? What do you mean?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
grk_styl said:
So if I say, "I believe in God because my faith is the basis for my existence and I have gone through circumstances in my life which has enabled me to really see that God does exist" would you accept that???

I don't need you to accept it, for I believe what i want to believe without caring what other people think, however I'm curious to know whether u think that reasoning is valid
It depends upon the validty of your reasoning in coming to these conclusions. Not, of course, that this is what happened, but if say you escaped a car crash, and this lead you to believe in God because it was a miracle, then no I don't see that as a good reason.

malkin86

HSC
katie_tully said:
The other thing I can't stand is teachers who are religious, and impose their religion at school, even though it is a public school.
Our principal is a staunch catholic, who believes we should all attend scripture, so she tried to make it compulsary.
I got kicked out because I told the father he was full of shit. he tried to tell us God created the grand canyon in 3 days during the great flood, and that it is not a result of erosion and sedimentation. He then told us science proves nothing, but continued to use a basic science experiment to show HOW the grand canyon was created.
I thought that religious education of any form (including nonscripture) was a requirement for getting something?
Quite frankly, not all Christians believe that 'science proves nothing', and that stuff about the Grand Canyon being created during the great flood, and people introducing Young Earth Creationism as a neccessary issue to salvation only causes more harm than good.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
I'm not going to bite your head off :p

But may I ask why? Surely I experience love, friendship, fun, etc, without faith? What do you mean?
I understand that people experience love, friendship, fun, etc, without faith, and I accept that, as I accept all religions :) But for ME, personally, I feel that the basis of my life is my faith. But that's just me, and I don't expect other people to adopt that. lol In my head, my reasoning sounds correct, it just probably doesn't sound right to anyone else :p

MoonlightSonata said:
It depends upon the validty of your reasoning in coming to these conclusions. Not, of course, that this is what happened, but if say you escaped a car crash, and this lead you to believe in God because it was a miracle, then no I don't see that as a good reason.
I've seen miracles happen, hence why I continue to have and believe in my faith. But these miracles are not the only reason why i believe in God. But i accept what ur saying, coz I can understand ur thinking.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
grk_styl said:
I understand that people experience love, friendship, fun, etc, without faith, and I accept that, as I accept all religions :) But for ME, personally, I feel that the basis of my life is my faith. But that's just me, and I don't expect other people to adopt that. lol In my head, my reasoning sounds correct, it just probably doesn't sound right to anyone else :p

I've seen miracles happen, hence why I continue to have and believe in my faith. But these miracles are not the only reason why i believe in God. But i accept what ur saying, coz I can understand ur thinking.
That's all fair enough, everyone is entitled to believe whatever they want (though I don't see how I have to have faith to feel love, fun, etc.)

however the purpose of this thread is to debate whether God exists, and you can understand why faith (belief without evidence) seems out of place in such a discussion

at least you're not like osk, "you'll burn in hell for eternity if you don't accept Jesus"

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I think osk goes a little too far saying all religions are wrong except Christianity and are hence condemned to hell. Christians as a whole do not condemn other religions are believe them to be wrong. As long as people live a morally correct life, with or without a belief in God and that Jesus was His son, there is no way they will be condemned. Theres a difference between rejecting God and Jesus and not believing in them. Rejection occurs when you believe they exist and believe that they are what your religion says they are but through your words and actions do not display this belief. These people who display these actions are the ones that are condemned. This does not mean that being a Christian you condemn all other religions because you dont believe that what they stand for is correct. Not believing in God is completely different to rejection.

My foundation to belief is that life is what you make of it, if you live a good life you will be saved no matter what

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The people who have criticised the very extent of God's existence and summaringly used the folly of the Bible to justify as such forget one important aspect.

This was a book written in essence, within an Ancient Israelite view of the world, where neither modern science, nor modern philosophical thought had arisen. It is also the culmination of their collective beliefs rather than a solid monolithical ideology purported. In essence the 'creationism' of both God and the universe is unparalleled within its contextual situation, it was one which had no political agenda, no cultic appeal, it rejected the notions of Egypt, Babylon and other Near Eastern ideologies whilst compiling similar myths. It was a philosophical view from the Israelite perspective upon which they viewed the world.

I think many of the people in here, view the faith using merely their modern thinking, and 'logic' without first understanding the very context and historicity of the faith. Think first off, of the purpose, of the origins, why was it that it came to be. Then understand its appeal, its various humanist undertones which have helped it surpass other cultic and pagan religions, in favour of a much more morality based system.

To not believe is ok, to say that God does not exist and ask and question is ok, you have the right as a free-willed human being, ultimately what separates us from the beast is this innate ability to reflect upon practically everything.

What i dont take too kindly to, is this incessant want not to be 'converted' or 'bombarded' with Christian ideals and ideologies, and yet at the same time, this overwhelmingly contradictory stance whereby you bombard us with your attempts at trying to 'deny' and 'disprove' what neither of us can prove. It is an ideology, based upon faith. Some of the greatest minds have queried this very question for centuries, amongst them devout christians, and as such i find it offensive whenever i hear this 'logical' or 'rational' thinking which has led to such a perspective, then leading to the calling of our faith as stupid.

It is ignorance which leads people astray, a mal-information in which many people just fail to realise the two sides of the argument. The churches of the world have begun interrelations, and many find themselves at loggerheads on specifics, but the general theme is there, that there is a goodness in the world, and you dont have to belong to ONE religion to experience or be 'saved.' Inter-faith dialogue has taken leaps and bounds from the strict 'heretic' and 'pagan' views of the former and conservative past. Martin Luther questioned the church upon views which he thought contradictory, and i assure you, that there are people who question the validity of such things within the foundationary christian institutions. But please have a respect and common decency of accepting that our faith, whilst you may not agree with it, is our faith, and that by insulting and coming into an argument with a closed mind leads nowhere.

joujou84: It is expressed not as a sin, nor is it remotely bad, there is an acceptance that God works wonders within different cultures and religions, that there is an innate goodness which stems forth as a result of his creation, and through the various myth-and-ritual concepts that we as humans can work as one to come to a state of homogenous happiness. It doesnt take a Catholic, Islamic, Buddhist, or Hindu to be good to another person, even an Atheist can partake in goodness. So as such, the short answer is no.

osk

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
An explanation involves some reason, not simply "I believe this." If I went around saying "I believe in the great goat-god Gorgamel," or if I told you that last night I was abducted by aliens, you're not exactly going to just take my word. You'd want some justification for you to believe these things. What you offer is simply an opinion ("I believe") without an explanation ("because...").

You still haven't answered the question: why is your religion the correct one?

I believe that my religion is the correct one because....it offers an explanation for everything that is happening in this world, and it is the only religion in which salvation is based on what God did for us ie. on the Cross, instead of what we can do to save ourselves.

In the end it is what I believe....just like you might believe that all religions are valid......in the end....you cant conclusively prove ur point of view is 100% true, and neither can I.....it is making sense of that which you are given, and I believe that Christianity makes the most sense of what we see around us. For example....people often wonder, with the increasing violence in this world....what is happening? they get worried and find no rational cause. I find an answer for this in the Bible.....I believe this makes the best sense of it. The Bible even predicts the formation of many new religions and predicts a general turn away from God and to the thought that humans know best......this is exactly what is happening today. From what i see, the Bible makes alotta sense to me!

And dnt presume that the answers you might be given are any more valid......people criticise the Bible because it was written by men (though I believe it is the inspired Word of God)....yet they go and read a book by a scientist and accept it as truth without question.........though I dnt really blame them...after all our public schools, which are meant to be Secular, are in fact fostering Secular Humanism and teaching it to be absolute truth.........people find it ok to label Christians or Muslims or other relgious people as "indoctrinated From birth" but fail to realise they are being just as indoctrinated through the education system.

osk

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
at least you're not like osk, "you'll burn in hell for eternity if you don't accept Jesus"
Im sorry if this makes you uneasy, but I choose not to put a sugar coating all over Christianity like many do.....In the end....this is what the Bible teaches.....and what Christians believe whether they feel comforatble admitting it or not.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
So you're saying Judaism and Islam is not based on what God did for the people?Whats its based on then? Ive studied these three religions in question in depth and i cant remember anything that is not based on God and what He has done, and will do, for the people.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)