Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I considered selling my soul in return for infinite amounts of knowledge, but decided that if there's no pain, there's no gain.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
And yet you still found time to read the newest edition of New Science and tell us of the wonders contained within it's pages.

Ginny11

HSC
I'm bored and for no other reason than that i thought i would write my opinion on God.
Firstly if it ever was proved that God did/does exist the world would go fukn psycho and start praying night and day trying to get in his/her good book-nothing would get done and the human population would die of various factors.
Secondly if it ever was proved that God didn't/doesn't exist, again, the world would go fukn psycho-thousands of people out of vocation, suicides etc, etc the pope would probly get lynched too.
God doesn't exist for me because it was the idea of him that started religion and religion has meant the deaths of millions of people over the years through "holy wars" and the such- I'm a pacifist and God goes against every single one of my values and ethics. God, if he does exist, would have to be one sick person/thing to want to create people- maybe he's been on vacation to one of his other universes and when he comes back he'll smite us all.
God makes people feel more significant than they really are and thats why God was created- to make us feel "SPECIAL"......news flash God Botherer's- we're not.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Ginny11 said:
I'm bored and for no other reason than that i thought i would write my opinion on God.
Firstly if it ever was proved that God did/does exist the world would go fukn psycho and start praying night and day trying to get in his/her good book-nothing would get done and the human population would die of various factors.
Secondly if it ever was proved that God didn't/doesn't exist, again, the world would go fukn psycho-thousands of people out of vocation, suicides etc, etc the pope would probly get lynched too.

God doesn't exist for me because it was the idea of him that started religion and religion has meant the deaths of millions of people over the years through "holy wars" and the such- I'm a pacifist and God goes against every single one of my values and ethics. God, if he does exist, would have to be one sick person/thing to want to create people- maybe he's been on vacation to one of his other universes and when he comes back he'll smite us all.
God makes people feel more significant than they really are and thats why God was created- to make us feel "SPECIAL"......news flash God Botherer's- we're not.
Well that was a load of crap.
If either scenario happened, people would simply ignore the evidence and continue on in their lives with the exact same convictions. A small minority would accept the evidence and change their views accordingly, but the vast majority would simply believe that the evidence was false or contrived and that they are right and always have been.
People don't like change, and very few would openly embrace a change in their core ideology which would necessitate a questioning of all of their life and purpose within it.

HSC
I like science too.

I dont go by religion, but i am a spiritual person.

To me, God exists. He/She is very real in my life.

He/She is not an imaginary friend of mine, or an illusion, something interesting though that i read in a book called; Conversations with God, is that you'll know when youve mastered life and all its mystery, when you dont need a god.

So, all you athiests, agnostics, i totally respect your belief. I guess you feel that you dont really need God, and you dont !

;)

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
Sometimes I'm glad that religion exists because it prevents all the nutters who would otherwise do bad things from being too afraid to.

Like that serial rapist who is 'returning to his muslim faith'. (Although Islam isn't that big on respecting women either.)

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
f e a r l e s s said:
So, all you athiests, agnostics, i totally respect your belief. I guess you feel that you dont really need God, and you dont !
Umm nah it's really not a matter of 'not really needing' god, like I do want God very bad... You see, without God/The afterlife, I die. So I 'need' God as much as I need food/water (if not more because eventually I'll die even if I have enough food/water) it's just that God isn't there, there is no evidence of God.

I don't need to imagine a God is there who is not, but if there is a God, at least a benevolent God then yes I would dare to say I do need him.

HSC
Enteebee said:
Umm nah it's really not a matter of 'not really needing' god, like I do want God very bad... You see, without God/The afterlife, I die. So I 'need' God as much as I need food/water (if not more because eventually I'll die even if I have enough food/water) it's just that God isn't there, there is no evidence of God.

I don't need to imagine a God is there who is not, but if there is a God, at least a benevolent God then yes I would dare to say I do need him.
your view is really interesting

thing is, you dont have to want God, cos you already have him. shes always already here with you, whether you believe it or not, is your choice

and i completely respect your opinion.

i would probably say that i do need God, but maybe there comes a point when i dont, cos shes already my security and i truly believe that i can do all things, not thru him but AS her.

C

CyanideChrist

f e a r l e s s said:
thing is, you dont have to want God, cos you already have him. shes always already here with you, whether you believe it or not, is your choice
How do you know? Does he talk to you? Because the bitch won't talk to me. :( Why did you change from he to she?

i truly believe that i can do all things, not thru him but AS her.
Sounds crazy. Can you fly?

Lukybear

HSC
Enteebee said:

There is no evidence of God... Mabey you didnt look hard enough? God wont reveal Himself through science or logic? Why should He?

And from your post, you sound like as if you truly want to find God, but after reading countless of your other posts... i dont belive that.

Lukybear

HSC
CyanideChrist said:
How do you know? Does he talk to you? Because the bitch won't talk to me. :( Why did you change from he to she?

Sounds crazy. Can you fly?
Why should he talk 2 you? WHat are you, merely an insignifficant human within this universe.

Lets put it in prespective? Why would an omnipotent being, talk to you? Except ofcourse out of love? How can He love if you show no faith?

zstar

HSC
N/A
Does an invisible man on the moon exist?

Maybe he does but most of you would think I'm fucking crazy.

God is the same thing.

He may exist but as far as your life is concerned he's irrelevant and when you stop thinking about him he disappears out of all existence.

Why you needed 865 pages to understand this simple logic is amazing and shows how many morons hold onto their ancient belief systems without a single shred of evidence of it existing.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Lukybear said:
There is no evidence of God... Mabey you didnt look hard enough? God wont reveal Himself through science or logic? Why should He?

And from your post, you sound like as if you truly want to find God, but after reading countless of your other posts... i dont belive that.
Because he is logical and rational and is unable to take that step into BLIND faith.

Lukybear said:
Why should he talk 2 you? WHat are you, merely an insignifficant human within this universe.

Lets put it in prespective? Why would an omnipotent being, talk to you? Except ofcourse out of love? How can He love if you show no faith?
HAHAHHAHAHA and apparently God is meant to love us all and the definition of 'love' is unconditional. Funny thing is that you're now placing logic on God, 'why would he do this if you don't respect him'

Why put a condition on it?

Lukybear

HSC
tommykins said:
Because he is logical and rational and is unable to take that step into BLIND faith.
Funny how you just called a few billion people, illogical and irrational. Seriously, if a few billion people were really illogical and irrational, then how can this world function? I know i just did appeal to numbersm, but i am merly pointing out the truth.

HAHAHHAHAHA and apparently God is meant to love us all and the definition of 'love' is unconditional. Funny thing is that you're now placing logic on God, 'why would he do this if you don't respect him'

Why put a condition on it?
LOL, God still loves you matters not. But anger isnt only a Human emotion. There is rightous anger and it applys to God. You can probly use logic to figure out the rest.

Hey, im merely playing your game. If it was up to me, i would of never posted in this thread. Logic and science DOES NOT apply to God.

Last edited:
C

CyanideChrist

Lukybear said:
LOL, God still loves you matters not.
Then why won't he show himself to me? If he truly loved me surely he'd want to talk to me and be with me?

Logic and science DOES NOT apply to God.
Why not?

zstar said:
He may exist but as far as your life is concerned he's irrelevant and when you stop thinking about him he disappears out of all existence.
+1

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Lukybear said:
Funny how you just called a few billion people, illogical and irrational. Seriously, if a few billion people were really illogical and irrational, then how can this world function? I know i just did appeal to numbersm, but i am merly pointing out the truth.
Errr and so what if I did?

A few hundred years ago everyone (or the majority of people) thought the world was flat, they still functioned fine right? People are stupid, get used to it.

You're saying this world can't function without religion, which is another argument and is completely off topic.

LOL, God still loves you matters not. But anger isnt only a Human emotion. There is rightous anger and it applys to God. You can probly use logic to figure out the rest.
But you just said a few posts back that I can't use logic with God...
Hey, im merely playing your game. If it was up to me, i would of never posted in this thread. Logic and science DOES NOT apply to God.
You're playing OUR logic game whenever YOU see it fit, when it is brought upon another aspect (ie. science) you say 'NO YOU CAN'T USE LOGIC TO PROVE GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD'

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
3unitz said:
i dont understand anything, help me kfunk
Haha, anything? The world is a confusing place compadre.

Lukybear said:
So ad hoc it hurts.

I agree that there's little point in entering the debate if you refuse to work within the confines of a logic or science of any form. The central problem I have with your position, intellectually, is this: it's not critical. The scientific method starts out with hypotheses about how the world works and then sets out to either disprove or refine them. Theory dependence of observation aside, it is at least relatively open to a range of possible explanations from the outset.

Contrast this with your approach where you accept a belief and then the process ends. All future observations are assimilated into the belief system by means of ad hoc rationalisation. The claim that logic does not apply to god is perhaps the most grotesque of such moves (though the 'science' claim could hold in so far as god is outside of empirical observation). This doesn't seem to be a method fit for determining 'truth' since it determines the facts prior to observation and intellectual inquiry. (This oft used flow chart illustrates the situation quite nicely).

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
to non-thiests, what do you think of Anselm's ontological argument?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
gibbo153 said:
to non-thiests, what do you think of Anselm's ontological argument?
As you would expect (given that I fall into the 'non-theist' category) I find it unconvincing.

Take the designator 'an entity than which nothing can be greater'.The idea of 'greatness' or 'being greater than' seems to involve an ethical and aesthetic ranking. As a moral (and an aesthetic) nihilist I would argue against the possibility of an unassailable definition of 'greatness', which in Anselm's argument is conceptually packed full of theistic moral and aesthetic baggage.

Also, note that this baggage includes an existence assumption since an existent being is greater than a non-existent being (in Anselm's sense of great) and thus to say that a being is the greatest requires that it exists. The argument thus seems to beg the question since the premise includes an implicit assumption of existence.

Once you combine apparent question begging, Hume's objection to the argument, and a positive argument for moral/aesthetic nihilism then I think the case for rejecting Anselm's ontological argument is quite strong. Plantinga's revised modal form of the argument is quite interesting, but I am inclined to say that it too begs the question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)