Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

IamBread

HSC
I know you are but that comment was for bored of hsc cause hes getting defensive. Im only answering vaguely because I know that religious discussions although interesting get aggressive lol.

And i am always adjusting my beliefs regarding what im learning, like about 5 months ago i was completely unreligious but im sort of getting back into it now i dont know lol life
Most of it is just people raging at each other calling them idiots. Once it gets to that stage it is pointless.
It's good that you change them. If people didn't change their beliefs when new evidence came about, we'd still be in the dark ages.
The main problem with things like evolution is the amount of misunderstanding people have about it. Half the stuff when people say "If evolution is true then why doesn't this happen" would turn someone who believed evolution to be true into someone who thought it was rubbish.

IamBread

HSC
Right, so their offspring are going to be very very slightly different. When they go to breed, they have a chance to pass this difference onto their offspring, who then have a chance to pass it on to their offspring etc etc. Eventually this change, and changes like it build up within the community, until they are not the same as their previous generations from 1000's of years ago.

thrillkiller

HSC
Most of it is just people raging at each other calling them idiots. Once it gets to that stage it is pointless.
It's good that you change them. If people didn't change their beliefs when new evidence came about, we'd still be in the dark ages.
The main problem with things like evolution is the amount of misunderstanding people have about it. Half the stuff when people say "If evolution is true then why doesn't this happen" would turn someone who believed evolution to be true into someone who thought it was rubbish.
Yeah Its the same with belief in God. Theres just so many questions and just when I think ok I believe someone may say something and then my whole view changes. It gets confusing but im not giving up yet.

So whats your story? Have you ever believed in God or where you just never into it to begin with

IamBread

HSC
Yeah Its the same with belief in God. Theres just so many questions and just when I think ok I believe someone may say something and then my whole view changes. It gets confusing but im not giving up yet.

So whats your story? Have you ever believed in God or where you just never into it to begin with
I don't think I ever had a really strong belief in God. My mum grew up Catholic, but my Dad isn't religious so we never did anything religious. I have never been religious, none of them made sense, but for a long time I wasn't sure about a God. But then I got a interest in Physics. And the more I went into it, the less and less there was a need for a God, and there was never anything pointing in the direction of God. So now I just don't believe there is one.

qawe

HSC
N/A
Lol no i meant like the bible i read from. & no where. they just die without the hope of resurrection or living forever. & if they lived their life without ever knowing God then God will give them a chance and if they still reject God then they will just die. cease to exist
which bible do u read from? because it sure ain't christian.

qawe

HSC
N/A
the defense i love the most is when you start pointing out how horrible the old testament is with quotes, and they're like, 'oh but that's the old testament i don't need to believe in that, i believe in jesus' teachings'

protip: jesus was a jew who followed/believed in the old testament.
Jesus was a Jew. He followed the OT in order to fulfil the law and establish a new covenant. So we are under the new covenant not the old covenant. I dont see what's so difficult about that.
How can you argue that someone believes something when they say they dont? It's unwinnable.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Futile argument.

"My belief is better than yours."

"No it's not, mine's better!" ad infinitum.

Basically a more complex version of most arguments two year olds have.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Why do i need to question my beliefs? Also what is it to you? Why are my beliefs so important to you? You dont even know me and u probably will never know me
You would always question everything else in life, yet not your beliefs? If it isn't the questioning then why is all this interesting to you? Actually arguing us your points is one way of "questioning". Not in being vague.

They aren't important to me. It's just that you like posting here so i assumed you were up for a discussion. I just honestly believed this discussion would be more productive if you were more clear in your answers :)

I know you are but that comment was for bored of hsc cause hes getting defensive. Im only answering vaguely because I know that religious discussions although interesting get aggressive lol.

And i am always adjusting my beliefs regarding what im learning, like about 5 months ago i was completely unreligious but im sort of getting back into it now i dont know lol life
I'm not getting defensive (though i'd say your reply to me sounded very defensive). I'm not even properly involved in this discussion haha. I'm sorry if i conveyed that tone.

thrillkiller

HSC
which bible do u read from? because it sure ain't christian.
New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures, what do you read from?
You would always question everything else in life, yet not your beliefs? If it isn't the questioning then why is all this interesting to you? Actually arguing us your points is one way of "questioning". Not in being vague.

They aren't important to me. It's just that you like posting here so i assumed you were up for a discussion. I just honestly believed this discussion would be more productive if you were more clear in your answers :)
I'm not getting defensive (though i'd say your reply to me sounded very defensive). I'm not even properly involved in this discussion haha. I'm sorry if i conveyed that tone.
I was being defensive because you were! lol ok im sorry i thought my answers were clear but apparently they aren't.
If youre always questioning your beliefs then how would you ever know what to believe

thrillkiller

HSC
Do you think atheists should question their beliefs?
If you believe something why would you need to question it in the first place? Im sure you would have had questions in the beginning and once they got answered that led you to believe in what you believed in so why would you question it again?

IamBread

HSC
How did you know that just by which bible i use lol? Im not baptized as one but that is the religion im studying yes
Haha I have a friend who's a JW. I have to say though I do not like that religion at all as it is very restrictive. Because of it she is always lying to her parents to be able to do stuff. She had her first birthday party for her 18th which was good though.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I was being defensive because you were! lol ok im sorry i thought my answers were clear but apparently they aren't.
If youre always questioning your beliefs then how would you ever know what to believe
That's the point in questioning. It is in the hope that by continually questioning that you'll come to better informed decisions.
Just as in other aspects of life.

If you believe something why would you need to question it in the first place? Im sure you would have had questions in the beginning and once they got answered that led you to believe in what you believed in so why would you question it again?
Aren't there always new questions arising in your mind?

It's like science. There usually is a consensus at the beggining (eg aether) but then new questions were posed which contradicted it (ie the michelson morley experiment).

Eduard_Khil

CASIO fx-82ES PLUS
HSC
N/A
That's the point in questioning. It is in the hope that by continually questioning that you'll come to better informed decisions.
What if your just trolling? Or that you just want to prove everybody wrong?

No.

It's like science. There usually is a consensus at the beggining (eg aether) but then new questions were posed which contradicted it (ie the michelson morley experiment).
It's not like Science, science and religion never mix well together, sure you get these scientists who are faithful to a certain religion, but they end up making their own theories and thus creates more confusion. You sir, need to work on your arguments :(

a c

HSC
Well I'm studying in a scientific field.

Every scientist has a strong belief in the validity of their existing theories and findings. Every scientist has answers to many significant questions in their field.

What happens in science, is that there are frequently new discoveries made, either through new technologies, or through new methods of evaluating old ideas.

When a scientist is presented with a new theory, they question how this might challenge their belief in their existing theory. If they find the evidence rational and compelling, they will change their beliefs. There is nothing wrong with questioning the belief they previously held, it doesn't mean their previous work on a theory that has now been questioned wasn't useful, or that they are a bad person.

It's exactly the same with religious beliefs. Someone might come up with some new evidence or some new ideas. Much of the thinking around religion is conceptual, and when presented with new ideas, if you have even basic curiousity, it's sensible to question that belief.

Like in the previous example, of the scientist who thought he already had all the answers, if you open your mind to considering other theories, put yourself in other peoples shoes, you might encounter a new idea that demonstrates you were wrong to think you had all the answers, that the answers have changed, or maybe you were even asking the wrong question.

thrillkiller

HSC
Haha I have a friend who's a JW. I have to say though I do not like that religion at all as it is very restrictive. Because of it she is always lying to her parents to be able to do stuff. She had her first birthday party for her 18th which was good though.
Yeah thats why I left it but im starting to think maybe the benefits outweigh the losses

Well I'm studying in a scientific field.

Every scientist has a strong belief in the validity of their existing theories and findings. Every scientist has answers to many significant questions in their field.

What happens in science, is that there are frequently new discoveries made, either through new technologies, or through new methods of evaluating old ideas.

When a scientist is presented with a new theory, they question how this might challenge their belief in their existing theory. If they find the evidence rational and compelling, they will change their beliefs. There is nothing wrong with questioning the belief they previously held, it doesn't mean their previous work on a theory that has now been questioned wasn't useful, or that they are a bad person.

It's exactly the same with religious beliefs. Someone might come up with some new evidence or some new ideas. Much of the thinking around religion is conceptual, and when presented with new ideas, if you have even basic curiousity, it's sensible to question that belief.

Like in the previous example, of the scientist who thought he already had all the answers, if you open your mind to considering other theories, put yourself in other peoples shoes, you might encounter a new idea that demonstrates you were wrong to think you had all the answers, that the answers have changed, or maybe you were even asking the wrong question.
Ofcourse there are always new questions in my mind but you can only question something to a certain point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)