Does God exist? (5 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
what's a soul?
some kind of blobby thing that inhabits your body while you're alive, then floats around aimlessly for the rest of eternity.

it can be torn apart when you commit murder, the most recorded is seven times. and when the last bit of it dies it turns into an ugly little baby sitting on a cloudy kings cross station.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Seriously what is a answer for this question, it centres around belief and life experiences, it can only be answered once your soul has left this earth......

you must be extremely bored to enter a blog like this hahaha
yes.

yes i am.

it's fun when the jebus kids go nuts =]].

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Evelyn Waugh, Daily Express, 20 October 1930.

I found this article by Waugh, my favourite author, useful some time ago. Hopefully some of you will get use out of it too!

Converted to Rome – Why it has happened to me
Three popular errors reappear with depressing regularity in any discussion about a convert to the Roman Catholic Church. It may be useful to mention these before going on to a more positive explanation of my position. They are:

1. The Jesuits have got hold of him. I have heard this often in the last few years and have come to realise that there are a great number of English people who regard this pious and erudite body as a kind of spiritual pressgang, out for head-money; millionaires and great noblemen are the real quarry, but if, in the course of the hunt, they can bag a novelist or two, so much the better. This is very far from the truth. Instruction is, of course, necessary for anyone who wants to join the Roman Catholic Church, and Jesuits, like other priests, are ready to give help to those who need it. There is no coaxing or tricking people into acquiescence. They state or explain their doctrine, and the proselyte decides for himself whether it is true.

2. He is captivated by the ritual. This is certainly arranged to a great extent as an aid to devotion, but it would be a very superficial person who would accept a whole theological and moral system on these grounds alone. Indeed it seems to me that in this country, where all the finest ecclesiastical buildings are in the hands of the Anglican Church, and where the liturgy is written in prose of unexampled beauty, the purely aesthetic appeal is, on the whole, rather against the Roman Catholic.

3. He wants to have his mind made up for him. The suggestion here is that the convert cannot face the responsibility of thinking problems out for himself, but finds it convenient to swallow whole a complete explanation of the universe. The answer to this is that if he has a lazy mind it is easy enough to stagnate without supernatural assistance, and if he has an active mind, the Roman system can and does form a basis for the most vigorous intellectual and artistic activity.

I think one has to look deeper before one will find the reason why in England today the Roman Church is recruiting so many men and women who are not notably gullible, dull-witted or eccentric.

It seems to me that in the present phase of European history the essential issue is no longer between Catholicism, on one side, and Protestantism, on the other, but between Christianity and Chaos. It is much the same situation as existed in the early Middle Ages. In the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries conflicting social and political forces rendered irreconcilable the division between two great groups of Christian thought. In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries the choice before any educated European was between Christianity, in whatever form it was presented to him in the circumstances of his upbringing, and, on the other side, a polite and highly attractive scepticism. So great, indeed, was the inherited subconscious power of Christianity that it was nearly two centuries before the real nature of this loss of faith become apparent.

Today we can see it on all sides as the active negation of all that western culture has stood for. Civilization – and by this I do not mean talking cinemas and tinned food, nor even surgery and hygienic houses, but the whole moral and artistic organisation of Europe – has not in itself the power of survival. It came into being through Christianity, and without it has no significance or power to command allegiance. The loss of faith in Christianity and the consequential lack of confidence in moral and social standards have become embodied in the ideal of a materialistic, mechanized state, already existent in Russia and rapidly spreading south and west. It is no longer possible, as it was in the time of Gibbon, to accept the benefits of civilization and at the same time deny the supernatural basis upon which it rests. As the issues become clearer, the polite sceptic and with him that purely fictitious figure, the happy hedonist, will disappear.

That is the first discovery, that Christianity is essential to civilization and that it is in greater need of combative strength than it has been for centuries.

The second discovery is that Christianity exists in its most complete and vital form in the Roman Catholic Church. I do not mean any impertinence to the many devout Anglicans and Protestants who are leading lives of great devotion and benevolence; I do find, however, that other religious bodies, however fine the example of certain individual members, show unmistakable signs that they are not fitted for the conflict in which Christianity is engaged. For instance, it seems to me a necessary sign of completeness and vitality in a religious body that its teaching shall be coherent and consistent. If its own mind is not made up, it can hardly hope to withstand disorder from outside. In the Anglican Church today matters of supreme importance in faith and morals are still being discussed indecisively, while the holders of high offices are able to make public assertions which do violence to the deepest feelings of many of their people.

Another essential sign one looks for is competent organization and discipline. Obedience to superiors and the habit of submitting personal idiosyncrasies to the demands of office seem to be sure signs of a real priesthood. Any kind of ‘crankiness’ or individual self-assertion in the ministers of a religious body shakes one’s confidence in them.

Most important of all, it seems to me that any religious body which is not by nature universal cannot claim to represent complete Christianity. I mean this as a difference in kind, not in extent. The Church in the first century, when its membership was numerically negligible, was by nature as universal as in the time of the Crusaders; but many religious sects seem to pride themselves upon exclusion, regarding themselves as a peculiar people set aside for salvation. Others claim regional loyalty. Those who regard conversion to Roman Catholicism as an unpatriotic defection – a surrender to Italian domination – seem to miss the whole idea of universality.

There are a few signs by which in its public affairs one would recognise the Church one is seeking. There also remain the devotional needs of the individual members, for, however, imposing the organisation of the Church, it would be worthless if it did not rest upon the faith of its members. No one visiting a Roman Catholic country can fail to be struck by the fact that the people do use their churches. It is not a matter of going to a service on Sunday; all classes at all hours of the day can be seen dropping in on their way to and from their work.

Roman Catholic people are notable for this ability to pray without any feeling of affectation, and the explanation of it seems to me that prayer is not associated in their minds with any assertion of moral superiority. You never see in Roman Catholics going to Mass, as one sees on the faces of many people going to Chapel, that look of being rather better than their neighbours. The Protestant attitude seems often to be, ‘I am good; therefore I go to church,’ while the Catholic’s is, ‘I am very far from good; therefore I go to church.’
Ill just leave it here

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
lindax said:
Im sorry jebus kids??? you dont even no me, i was just expressing my opinon just like everyone else here
If your opinion is that souls exist, then I'm afraid to tell you that
a) expect to be ridiculed here, and
b) you have no right not to be offended by such ridicule.

Fair warning. :)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Im sorry jebus kids??? you dont even no me, i was just expressing my opinon just like everyone else here
She wasn't insulting you. She was just saying that when the heavy Christians come (not that you're one) they're fun to gang up on and outwit.
Don't be so damned defensive.

lindax

HSC
She wasn't insulting you. She was just saying that when the heavy Christians come (not that you're one) they're fun to gang up on and outwit.
well unfortunatly i felt she was as she did quote my comment

lindax

HSC
If your opinion is that souls exist, then I'm afraid to tell you that
a) expect to be ridiculed here, and
b) you have no right not to be offended by such ridicule.

Fair warning. :)
Im sorry what? i didnt really understand.................Im not offened, as i believe everyones opinons count and everyone has a right to express them, as i said i am just giving my opinion

sorry to ridicule you

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Evelyn Waugh, Daily Express, 20 October 1930.

I found this article by Waugh, my favourite author, useful some time ago. Hopefully some of you will get use out of it too!

Converted to Rome – Why it has happened to me

Ill just leave it here
As is to be expected, I take issue with the statement that Western civilisation cannot advance or even maintain itself without Christianity. Complete unqualified and unsubstantiated dribble.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Why? What good has come from looking inwards? What has the so-called 'liberation' movement done but enslave and isolate individuals to futile vanity? Where is the strong and vital society, striding optimistically into the future with clear goals? We've been brought to our knees by fucking muslims.

Rome is burning all over again.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Im sorry what? i didnt really understand.................Im not offened, as i believe everyones opinons count and everyone has a right to express them, as i said i am just giving my opinion

sorry to ridicule you
I was referring to you, dear.

Nevermind.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Why? What good has come from looking inwards? What has the so-called 'liberation' movement done but enslave and isolate individuals to futile vanity? Where is the strong and vital society, striding optimistically into the future with clear goals? We've been brought to our knees by fucking muslims.

Rome is burning all over again.
And just like last time, it's burning because one of it's own started it.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
i was simply referring to your, "you must be really bored to go on a 'blog' like this"

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Vatican study shows how sexes differ on the seven deadly sins | Health & Lifestyle | News.com.au

Sins of the sexes ... men are most tempted by lust, while for women it is pride
A VATICAN cleric has outlined how the sexes struggle differently with the seven deadly sins.
As if there aren't enough differences between the sexes – now it seems we sin in quite diverse ways. Men struggle most with lust, while for women it's the issue of pride.

A Vatican report has found that after excessive pride, the most common sin for women is envy; for men the urge for sex is followed by desire for food, The Advertiser reports.

Looking further into the gender divide, the top three sins of blokes are the bottom ones for the fairer sex.

The report is based on a study of confessions carried out by Father Roberto Busa, a 95-year-old Jesuit scholar. The Pope's personal theologian backs up the report in the Vatican newspaper.

"Men and women sin in different ways," Monsignor Wojciech Giertych, theologian to the papal household, writes in L'Osservatore Romano. "When you look at vices from the point of view of the difficulties they create, you find that men experiment in a different way from women."

Monsignor Giertych says the most trying sin for men is lust, followed by gluttony, sloth (laziness), anger, pride, envy and greed. For women, the most dangerous are pride, envy, anger, lust, gluttony, greed and sloth.

The report was released amid Vatican concern over the declining rate of confessions – a trend also noted by the Catholic Church's Adelaide office.

Another recent survey of Catholics found nearly a third no longer consider confession necessary, while one in 10 deem the process an "obstacle to their dialogue with God".

Pope Benedict, who reportedly confesses his sins once a week, last year voiced his own disquiet on the subject.

"We are losing the notion of sin," he said.

"If people do not confess regularly, they risk slowing their spiritual rhythm."

On the other side of the argument, renowned Buddhist nun the Venerable Robina Courtin scotches the concept of "sin".

The Australian nun, in Adelaide for a series of public lectures, says the issue of sin illuminates the differences in fundamental beliefs.

"Buddhism doesn't have a God as a divine power who creates us. We believe that everything that happens to us is a result of our own actions – that concept of Karma," she says.

Instead, Buddhism highlights "negative actions" and their impact on others based on emotions all humans share.

"The concept in Buddhism is negative states of mind, neurosese, that sense of self hate," she adds.

"We all have these tendencies. They are not sins; we don't use the term `sin'. Instead of blaming everybody else, feeling like a victim, living in denial, you own your action. You regret and vow don't do it again."

So, she says, there is no divide based on sex but a concept that we behave according to shared human tendencies triggered by positive or negative states.

The Catholic "sins" of anger, rage, jealousy and so on are negative emotions that harm others.

"See how these emotions hurt yourself and others and how ridiculous it is to suffer," she says.

"You become familiar with these so-called sins. Instead of beating yourselves up about guilt, neurosese, you don't deny them, you be responsible . . . you regret.

"The attitudes we have to cultivate is to own these human tendencies we all have: They are negative because they hurt you and harm others.

"I talked to a Catholic friend just the other day and asked about sin. He said by definition `a sin is what goes against the Will of God'. Inevitably, you would need God to forgive you in that model, but it isn't the Buddhist belief."

However, the concept of sin is fundamental in the Christian faith, from the first chapter of the Bible – which relates how Adam and Eve "fall into sin" by disobeying God – to the crucifixion of Christ, for the salvation of the sins of the world.

One of the Christian Sacraments is the power of priests, pastors and ministers to forgive the sins of people who repent of them.

However, only the Catholic religion calls for confession and repentance and remission of admitted sins by priests in confessional boxes.

In the last Census, about 74 per cent of Australians said they believe in God, although only 14 per cent went to church.

In America, 70 per cent of people believe in Hell.

The "seven deadly sins" were drawn up by the early Christian church to teach godliness. In the Middle Ages, Pope Gregory I included them in Catholic teachings.

Catholic theology teaches that such "sins" carry the threat of eternal damnation.

Last year, the Vatican suggested seven new sins more relevant to modern times. They were genetic modification, human experimentation, polluting the environment, social injustice, causing poverty, financial gluttony, and the taking or selling of drugs.
A few points. I agree with the concept that the Buddhist chick put forward.
"We all have these tendencies. They are not sins; we don't use the term `sin'. Instead of blaming everybody else, feeling like a victim, living in denial, you own your action. You regret and vow don't do it again."
Surely this has to be better for the human psyche than thinking you're inherently evil and that you must spend a certain amount of time repenting for your sins.
IDK, I think I would get depressed as a Christian. You will always believe that you're a sinner, and although you can confess your sins to seek absolution, the very next day your thoughts and actions will still be considered 'sinful'.

How can a person live their life with this dark cloud over them? While I'm not suggesting converting to Buddhism, the concept of human tendencies and 'owning' your mistakes seems like a much healthier way to resolve any guilt you may have for 'doing something wrong'.

Fucking lol @ the 7 other sins though.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I am going to the Christian bookshop today to stock up on my Christian propaganda.

Will report back with my results.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I'm driving half way across the state to drop my sisters violin off, but I'll be back because I have more views on this brainwashing fiasco.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Vatican study shows how sexes differ on the seven deadly sins | Health & Lifestyle | News.com.au

A few points. I agree with the concept that the Buddhist chick put forward.

Surely this has to be better for the human psyche than thinking you're inherently evil and that you must spend a certain amount of time repenting for your sins.
IDK, I think I would get depressed as a Christian. You will always believe that you're a sinner, and although you can confess your sins to seek absolution, the very next day your thoughts and actions will still be considered 'sinful'.

How can a person live their life with this dark cloud over them? While I'm not suggesting converting to Buddhism, the concept of human tendencies and 'owning' your mistakes seems like a much healthier way to resolve any guilt you may have for 'doing something wrong'.

There was this guy, right
Jesus?
Our saviour from sin.
He had some impact on Christianity

Though bravo at the careful and measured attempt to demolish the faith. Was v cutting. I anticipate your later findings with trepidation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)