• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
nikolas said:
Irrelevant, just because someone believes a miracle and writes it in a book does not add to your argument in any sort of way.
but what do you consititure to be a miracle?

Elite.Meat

fuck you all
HSC
nikolas said:
Irrelevant just because someone believes a miracle and writes it in a book does not add to your argument in any sort of way.
no, no it is not.

you see, jesus did many miracles, lots and lots, they are in the book called the bible, made up of many little books actually. his miracles are in matthew, mark luke and john, those mini-books really.

matthew mark luke and john actually had this happen to them. jesus was like, whoa did lotsa miracles, and john was like, this must be god giving him these powers, and jesus said yes it was, so they did like you said you would before and believe there would be some superpower and actually record it in a book

nikolas

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
but what do you consititure to be a miracle?
When naturalistic explanations cannot suffice, and direct Divine intervention is the only possible answer.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Elite.Meat said:
no, no it is not.

you see, jesus did many miracles, lots and lots, they are in the book called the bible, made up of many little books actually. his miracles are in matthew, mark luke and john, those mini-books really.

matthew mark luke and john actually had this happen to them. jesus was like, whoa did lotsa miracles, and john was like, this must be god giving him these powers, and jesus said yes it was, so they did like you said you would before and believe there would be some superpower and actually record it in a book
i would not use the bible to argue proof with them, remember they do not consider the bible to be true?

are you actually in year 7?

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
nikolas said:
When naturalistic explanations cannot suffice, and direct Divine intervention is the only possible answer.
but just because you can explain how something happened, it does not mean that God, did not make it happen, like gravity, you can explain how God, did it, but you can not prove he did not, that might be a bad example

C

CyanideChrist

Elite.Meat said:
no, no it is not.

How do you know they weren't lying? How do you know Jesus wasn't lying? How do you know the god that gave him his powers was the Christian god in whom you obviously believe?

emytaylor164 said:
but just because you can explain how something happened, it does not mean that God, did not make it happen, like gravity, you can explain how God, did it, but you can not prove he did not, that might be a bad example
Less commas please (for readability's sake). Proper sentence structure is your friend. :)

Oh, and in rebuttal, just because you can explain something by saying god did it, does not mean god did it.

Last edited by a moderator:

nikolas

HSC
Elite.Meat said:
no, no it is not.

hey kido, tell me, please if i did not believe you when you said you talked to a bush.

Then, why would i believe Matthew, mark, like and John when they say they also believed/saw/experiences in miracles?

itt- just cause some people wrote about miracles happening, it does not mean they really did. i prefer to think of the bible as fairytale :p

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
CyanideChrist said:
How do you know they weren't lying? How do you know Jesus wasn't lying? How do you know the god that gave him his powers was the Christian god in whom you obviously believe?

Less commas please (for readability's sake). Proper sentence structure is your friend. :)

Oh, and in rebuttal, just because you can explain something by saying god did it, does not mean god did it.
sorry i kept tapping it using a small keyboard.

nikolas

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
Same way here, you can't say God did make it happen.

Elite.Meat

fuck you all
HSC
CyanideChrist said:

So they have shown that the bible was written around the (apparent) time of jesus; as in, they have found copies of parts of the new testament from just after the time of jesus.

If these claims that had been made were actually wrong, wouldn't there have been an uproar? wouldn't people have gone: WTF, this didnt happen, this book is all lies. the bible wouldn't be around today, no?

emytaylor164 said:
i would not use the bible to argue proof with them, remember they do not consider the bible to be true?

are you actually in year 7?
shh. my logic is speaking to me.

nikolas

HSC
Elite.Meat said:
So they have shown that the bible was written around the (apparent) time of jesus; as in, they have found copies of parts of the new testament from just after the time of jesus.

If these claims that had been made were actually wrong, wouldn't there have been an uproar? wouldn't people have gone: WTF, this didnt happen, this book is all lies. the bible wouldn't be around today, no?

moonlightsonata said:
Why you cannot use a religious text to prove God’s existence

The claim here is that the religious text (Bible, Quran, etc) proves that God exists. This argument makes the fallacy of begging the question (or circular reasoning). When the argument is set out clearly this becomes obvious:

How do we know God exists?
God exists because the Bible says so.
Why should we believe the Bible?
Because the Bible is the word of God.
God exists because the Bible says so.
Why should we believe the Bible?
Because the Bible is the word of God.

(etc, ad infinitum.)

You cannot use the conclusion you are trying to prove (that God exists) as one of your premises. The premise “the Bible is the word of God” already assumes the truth of the conclusion.
The Illiad was written about the time the Trojan war supposedly happened, there are external sources that say the Trojan war happened, heck we have found the ruins of the city of Troy.

Surely this is proof Achilles was truly immortal (cept in the ankles.)

nikolas

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
no but you can not rule it out as a possiblity now, can you?
I never claimed too, hence why I'm an agnostic atheist.

But than again, we can't rule out the flying spaghetti monster can we?

Elite.Meat

fuck you all
HSC
John Oliver said:
Bible was written at least 30 - 60 years after the supposed death of Jesus, in a time when life expectancy was ~ 25 - 30 years. They wouldn't be around. Look into the history of the bible, it's a dodgy, dodgy book.
so if the life expectancy was ~25 - 30 years, it would be impossible for someone to live to max. 60 years?

sure, the old testament is dodgy, i mean, there is some weird stuff in there. just the new testament seems to have a much more steady history than the old testament.

C

CyanideChrist

Elite.Meat said:

What John Oliver said (nice four post streak by the way).

lolwut

emytaylor164 said:
then miracles can not be disproven
But neither can they be proven. But wait, doesn't that make them...irrelevant?

Elite.Meat

fuck you all
HSC
nikolas said:
The Illiad was written about the time the Trojan war supposedly happened, there are external sources that say the Trojan war happened, heck we have found the ruins of the city of Troy.

Surely this is proof Achilles was truly immortal (cept in the ankles.)
i'm not using the bible to prove god's existance. i'm using my logic to say that the bible could be accurate, therefore god may exist.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
CyanideChrist said:
What John Oliver said (nice four post streak by the way).

lolwut

But neither can they be proven. But wait, doesn't that make them...irrelevant?
no, just because God Can not be proven it does not make him any less relevant

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)